I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:03:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Ways to balance it all?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ways to balance it all?  (Read 11797 times)
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »

My father in law lives about 10 minutes away if we walk so in the summer we walk up his house for dinner. It's been so rainy the past 2 weeks we haven't gotten much outside time. But over the weekend when it was nice we did spend a few hours at the park and plan on doing the same this weekend since the forecast calls for nice weather.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:14 PM »

My father in law lives about 10 minutes away if we walk so in the summer we walk up his house for dinner. It's been so rainy the past 2 weeks we haven't gotten much outside time. But over the weekend when it was nice we did spend a few hours at the park and plan on doing the same this weekend since the forecast calls for nice weather.

Exactly...there are many ways to incorporate some gentle physical activity into each day (she says as she's sedentarily typing...LOL!).

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
smcd23

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 08:43:03 PM »

Exactly...there are many ways to incorporate some gentle physical activity into each day (she says as she's sedentarily typing...LOL!).

Was not!! I was actually on my phone out walking the dog! They don't have a smiley face blowing a raspberry up there do they? LOL

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »

Was not!! I was actually on my phone out walking the dog! They don't have a smiley face blowing a raspberry up there do they? LOL

LOL...I was talking about ME!  hahahaha!  Here I was blathering about exercise while sitting around, typing on my computer (kind of like right now).   :P

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 04:39:27 AM »

MooseMom  you wrote "Grumpy, do you ever feel that ESRD has kind of taking away your control over your own life?  I know I've felt that way, and I know others here have expressed that same sentiment. "  YES YES YES.   Between the physical issues (muscle lost, stamina lost, and sometimes motivational lost) plus being tied to a strict timetable (on the cycler at xx, to bed by xx) doing manual exchanges during the day.  They all contribute to the feeling of lack of control in my life. 

No park that close, but can take the dog for a walk around the block.  Would do us both some good.  The dog needs some exercise as well.  Now that the weather is turning warmer, I plan on walking much more.  A few months ago, I couldn't walk more than a few hundred yards without having to stop and find a place to sit down and rest for a bit.  Now, I can get most the way down a block before stopping.  I'm headed out on vacation starting tomorrow and will be doing some walking during the next week, so will let everyone know how much walking I accomplished.  Grumpy

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »

A few months ago, I couldn't walk more than a few hundred yards without having to stop and find a place to sit down and rest for a bit.  Now, I can get most the way down a block before stopping.

You see, you've already made progress!

I'm headed out on vacation starting tomorrow and will be doing some walking during the next week, so will let everyone know how much walking I accomplished.  Grumpy

Vacation is a great time to start on a new project, even if it is something simple like walking a bit more.  I look forward to hearing from you upon your return!

smcd23

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »

Well, he's been having a bit of an arthritis/gout/tendonitis/calcium deposit complication issue right now in his joints including his hip, but it finally stopped raining here for the weekend, so both today and yesterday I made him come with me to take our son to the park and on walks. We walked about a mile up and down a path near the park yesterday, and today we walked about a half mile in our neighborhood before our son went for his nap. He didn't and isn't complaining about as much pain tonight as he was last.

It's supposed to rain here again for the next 3 days so I don't think we will get out for a walk. I am doing PT right now for my back, so tomorrow I may encourage him to use my 3lbs weights to do some bicep curls and such with his good arm (both arms if his tendonitis goes away before then). I tried convincing him to use a yoga ball to stretch out, but he says he doesn't think he'd like that. We shall see! I can't wait until it stops raining for a long stretch so we can go out more. I've also instituted the no TV before dinner rule for our son, so even if I am not home I think he will be spending time in the yard with our son because he's a handful when he's penned up inside.

Now what?
Grumpy-1

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »

MooseMom

I'm back and reporting that i walked (didn't take a exact measurement) at least 2 miles over the course of 5 days. Most of that was two days.  So, will continue to walk more and see it that helps.  Thanks for keeping an eye out for me...  Grumpy

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »

Grumpy, good for you.  Well done.  Anything is better than just sitting around and watching your whole body atrophy.  I don't think that gentle walking is going to turn you into a body builder, but the human body was made for movement, and walking is just what comes naturally. 

There are many ways that walking can "help".  There are the obvious physical advantages, but the psychological advantages are, in my mind, even more important.  First of all, you can set yourself a reasonable goal; maybe two circles around the block instead of one.  Or, maybe you can time yourself and see how long it takes to go around the block once, and then a week later, see if you can walk just a little faster.  The lift you get for meeting your goal...for actually accomplishing something...will make you feel justifiably proud.

Maybe you can purchase a pedometer?  You can get cheap ones that help you keep track of how far you've walked or for how long or how many steps you took.  You could have some fun in setting up your own little challenges for yourself.

And all of this can make you feel like you're taking back some control over your life.  ESRD doesn't condemn you to a life of inactivity and inertia unless you let it.  Sometimes, though, just getting up out of your favorite chair is the hardest part.  I know...I love my favorite chair!  LOL!

Anyway, I'm not telling you stuff you don't already know.  I'd really be interested in seeing how you get on.  If nothing else, a nice walk helps clear the mind and reminds you that there's a whole world out there that you are fighting to stay a part of.  I'd love more updates if/when you feel like it.  Thanks for reporting back!  I hope you enjoyed your vacation!

Grumpy-1

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 03:31:47 AM »

MooseMom

Thanks for the encouraging words.  To ALL that read this - take it to heart.  Don't let ESRD get to you make the best of what you have and "keep moving".

I've said it before and will continue to say "MooseMom you write great words of wisdom and counsel"  Love You!

Hey - MooseMom - there is post about how we all got our nick names.  How about posting your story.  Would love to hear it.

Grumpy

christijo

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 03:56:59 PM »

He goes fishing and works on his truck? My hubby today just put his shoes on for the first time in I dont know when and I was sooooo excited. It is very hard at 63 to dress a man while he just lays there. I bathe him, dress him, medicate him, comb his hair. I take it your hubby dresses himself and gets his own coffee. I cant even imagine what that would be like if just one day I didnt have to do soooo much. The house, yard, upkeep, car, bills, wash, everything is my responsibility.He gives me nothing and then no respect or love only critisizes me.. Yet, he has dementia and is in heart failure and many other problems so he cant help it I know. Your hubby, he may not realize it, but I believe he is falling into a pattern of taking advantage of you and being a little narsicistic maybe. Maybe I am wrong. Forgive me if I am. My husband only thinks of me as the person to wait on him hand and foot 24/7, and through the night. He used to make me go to McDonalds at 1am when I had work to go to at 7 am. I keep thinking of what he was like and he was a wonderful man, I know he cant help this and he is very ill and so brain damaged and weak from the 7 strokes.
smcd23

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »

No I know he takes advantage of me. I am one of those people that if I ask you to do something and it doesn't get done, I'll just go and do it because it's easier for me to do it than have to keep asking. It isn't a whole lot of fun. But since the summer and his parathyroid removal, the failed kidney transplant and switching from PD to hemo, he has been feeling a little better. But he is still a pain. Take tonight, for example. Our toilet has been acting funny - the bowl fills up almost to the point of overflow, and then drains out fine. So I figured it's an issue with the tank and I ended removing all the shelving over toilet and everything by myself, couldn't see a problem (I am not a plumber) so I looked on the internet, took a video and sent it to my dad for advise. The entire hour or so this was going on, he was laying on the couch. I finally had to pretty much beg him to come take a look and see if he saw anything wrong. This is after working today and taking the kiddo to the doctor for a follow up and squeezing in our therapy appointment and making arrangements to get the kiddo into speech therapy. I am exhausted.

Now what?
Grumpy-1

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »

I those who can do but don't do are taking advantage of the caregiver.  For me I have problems getting up out of chair, walking up stairs, and in general getting around.  I no longer can yard work, fix stuff around the house etc.  That is hard for me because that is what I used to enjoy doing.  While I think my wife (caregiver) thinks I'm lazy at times, I'm really not.

Grumpy

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »