I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  pd catheter infection
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pd catheter infection  (Read 5523 times)
hephziba

« on: February 09, 2007, 10:45:14 AM »

I had my tenckoff inserted two weeks ago, the dressing was changed in the hospital last friday, today they flushed the line, and thick yellow cloudy fluid drained out, they sent a sample off and my white blood cell count came back 100.

apparently one surgeon has had 100% sucess rate for giving patients infections, apparently every line He has fitted has come back infected, and I am simply the most recent victim.

So I am home with antibiotics bags. and we are hoping it clears up soon....

>:( >:( >:( :'(

Heph

God who comforts the downhearted comforted me again by your visit.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:57 AM »

Damn.. I hope you get over this infection quickly. Hope you get better soon.
shay_pcb

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 01:55:02 PM »

That dude shouldn't be allowed to do those surgeries anymore...  >:(
anja

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »

So sorry , Heph, that you are having to endure yet another set-back with this disease!  Seems you have had more than your share!  Hoping you recover quickly with no ill lasting effects.  :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 01:50:05 PM »

Why hasnt someone taken this "surgeons" licence away, come on, 100% success rate on infections,  umm, HELLO PEOPLE,  DO SOMETHING!!!  I am sorry you have become yet another victim Heph, hopefully it will clear up soon and you can get on with life... Take care and tell the "Little Lady" hello for us  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »

I think a formal complaint is in order against this Doctor and the facility, do that and something will happen quickly.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 04:11:40 PM »

I think we, as patients need, to make formal complaints about care or lack of care we are receiving.  This will make it easier on patients who come after us to be healthy and have an easier time on dialysis. We need to PAVE the WAY!
 If you get the reputation for being difficult just tell them the crazy lady with the big stick is on her way! Muhahaha!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »

I had my tenckoff inserted two weeks ago, the dressing was changed in the hospital last friday, today they flushed the line, and thick yellow cloudy fluid drained out, they sent a sample off and my white blood cell count came back 100.

apparently one surgeon has had 100% sucess rate for giving patients infections, apparently every line He has fitted has come back infected, and I am simply the most recent victim.

So I am home with antibiotics bags. and we are hoping it clears up soon....

>:( >:( >:( :'(

Heph

Wow, if I heard that I would of NOT let that surgeon do my surgery... no way in hell.

Hope you feel better soon.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
hephziba

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 03:27:14 AM »

I wasn't supposed to of overheard, but they were in the staff office and I was listening, they said every line he has fitted for a long time has either come back with exit site infection, or internal infection before the people have even got started, they have started making a list to give to infection control listing all the patients who have received infections. and I believe they are trying to get the man dealt with.

well I am now doing hemo and pd. I put a bag of extraneal with antibiotics in at bedtime, and drain it out in the morning, and I have to do this for ten days. so far the fluid is still coming out yellow and cloudy. but I have no bad symptoms, I did have a high fever (temp of 39.2) the first night I drained in, but it was gone by the morning...

the worrying thing is this may be my last chance before having to have a leg fistula as I have previously said I cant have fistulas in my arms due to scarring, and the only reason I am going on pd is to avoid leg fistulas as long as possible. apparently a common side affect of leg fistulas is loss of feeling or tingling in the legs. don't fancy that..

anyway. please pray if you pray,  and well wish if thats your way.

Heph :thx;

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 03:47:32 AM »

Heph, I pray things work out for you, and soon.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »

Heph, Buddy,  you know you've got my prayers ;) ;)  Take care of yourself and keep us posted ok  :2thumbsup;  Keep the Faith my friend  :)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »

My prayers are definitely with you, as well as my caring thoughts.  How is your little lady doing?  I have really missed you guys from the website.

One wonders about these surgeons.  The surgeon my nephro sent me to, to get my graft done, nearly always has to do it over.  My first graft was between my wrist and elbow, and it never worked.  I had to get it done and it is now between my elbow and my shoulder.  I really prefer this as my sleeve covers it.
But nearly everyone who had a graft done by him, had to have it done over.  Yet they continue to send us to him.   I was quite annoyed, because it would have been almost free if I had had it done in Puerto Rico through my insurance network.  Now I am still owing the hospital in St. thomas, US Virgin Islands, over $3000 for two hours in their surgery on two occasions.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 03:27:10 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
hephziba

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »

Just a quick update, I am currently on Hemo, and going to capd clinic once a week for antibiotics, which is weird as last time I had peritonitis they were trying to flush out my peritoneum constantly and I question whether there current plan will work at all, I feel fine physically, appart from just after they give me the antibiotics the last two time I have had 8 hour fevers and felt flu symptoms, anyway just to keep you updated.

Blessings

Heph  :wine;

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 05:23:50 PM »

Thanks for the update Heph,  you know we are all here for you my friend,   keep on keepin' on  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »

Usually when you have peritonitis, they pt antibiotics in your fluid bag, and fill you wit it, and leave it in for at least 8 hours before draining. You do this for 2 weeks.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
hephziba

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

yeah thats what I thought, with me they leave me empty all week, fill me with antibiotic bag leave it over night and I drain it out, then another week empty....  :wine; I love red wine...

Heph

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »