I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:37:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Gout and it's Pain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gout and it's Pain  (Read 41970 times)
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 08:49:14 PM »

This is one of the signs I knew I had to stop being stubborn and get onto haemo (also not sleeping at night because of fluid overload, what can I say BADGIRL)

I used to go to work in my office in ugg boots cause thats all I could get on my feet, and even a friend of mine gave me some crutchers cause it got that bad to walk.

But ever since I have been on haemo no sign of it, thank god(and me too lol)

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »

Wow! I am lucky I guess to say I have never had it!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
renal30yrs

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »

There's strong genetic factor to gout.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 11:31:18 PM »

There's strong genetic factor to gout.
Oh okay. I am learning more everyday! So people who get it have some kind of genetic disease like PKD or Diabetes that leads to Gout or what? My CKD isn't hereditary.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 04:57:56 PM »

In earlier times the pain was so bad the victim thought it was a cursed so they used to kill the patient. Some used to kill themselves because the pain was so bad.

I read this somewhere but I can't back it up with documentation.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 05:47:24 PM »

omg, reading up on this, i think i have it,  at night, when i go to bed, my feet are in sooo much pain, hard to explain the pain though, but if i put my feet down, the pain seems not to be so bad.  Is there medication that can help with this?  damn, another pill, ugh  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »

omg, reading up on this, i think i have it,  at night, when i go to bed, my feet are in sooo much pain, hard to explain the pain though, but if i put my feet down, the pain seems not to be so bad.  Is there medication that can help with this?  damn, another pill, ugh  :-\

The pain is continuous though it doesn't go away without meds. It is more like Flare ups, goes away for days or weeks and then comes back. Depends on uric acid levels. It is almost as bad as bone pain. I think yours may be bone pain cause I have that too, it is also a symptom of fibromyalgia, yes I have that too. You are probably starting to wonder what is it I don't have.LOL at least I pee.  ;)
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 07:16:28 PM »

The pain is continuous though it doesn't go away without meds. It is more like Flare ups, goes away for days or weeks and then comes back. Depends on uric acid levels. It is almost as bad as bone pain. I think yours may be bone pain cause I have that too, it is also a symptom of fibromyalgia, yes I have that too. You are probably starting to wonder what is it I don't have.LOL at least I pee.  ;)

there ya go again with the peeing business, just rub it in why dont'cha, ummmm, strike that last comment, ew at the thought, lol,   my pain definetly goes away during the day, there is no swelling, redness or sores, i guess i should just tell my doc whats going on huh?  damn, I AM BREAKING DOWN QUICKLY PEOPLE... lol  :'( ;) :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 11:04:07 PM »

I was prescribed Allopurinol also, but I was told that I wouldn't help during a painful session, that I should wait until the pain subsided to take it.  Were you guys that take it told that as well?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:05:49 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 11:15:46 PM »

I was prescribed Allopurinol also, but I was told that I wouldn't help during a painful session, that I should wait until the pain subsided to take it.  Were you guys that take it told that as well?

No I don't know what I was perscribed, but I took it right away and within 24 hours the pain was gone.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 11:33:45 PM »

That what i was told also i have another tablet that i have to take when i get an attack not sure of its name will have a look for it and post later

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
renal30yrs

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 05:30:28 AM »

Have any of you ended taking colchicine?
waitlisted

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »

I had my first gout attack about 10 years ago. First it came very seldom, but slowly it started to come more often. I was trying to manage it with colchicine 0.6mg max twice daily. It was not really enough, it took several days/weeks to get rid of the attack, but my nephrologist told that it is max I can take and be safe for my kidneys.

Last year the attacks came even more often in summer I had 2 very painful back to back attacks (about 1 months together) and I could not get rid of it with colchicine, so I called my nephrologist, who prescribed me prednisolone 4mg dospak, which helped.

After that I started taking allopurinol 100mg daily (again max dosage for my kidneys). First I was taking it with colchine, because if you have gout it can make it worse, and then after while I stopped the colchicine. Since then last (10 months) I have had only 2 very mild attacks, which both went away with couple of colchicines.

So at least so far allopurinol has worked very in preventing the gout attacks for me.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2007, 01:54:47 AM »

I have had it in the past and I'm glad it is not chronic for me. Anyone else have it? What medicine do you take to prevent or treat it?

I only ever had it once, around my ankle. But it put me off my feet for a week. Which was bad news for a self-employed dog groomer  :(

I think the drug they gave me was Allupurinol.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »

sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 01:24:06 AM by cycobully » Logged
lamillinger913

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

Thanks for this thread, it is very informative. I have been having increasing levels of uric acid in my lab results, but I have never had an episode of gout. What do you think I should do? My doctors have never said anything about it yet. But I think I should call their attention to it and see if we can lower it. I don't eat any of the foods you cautioned about, except the meat and fish as protein sources. The other things I either don't like , or they are to be avoided on the hemodialysis diet anyway.

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2007, 01:24:41 AM »

Stay well-hydrated is the only thing I can think of.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2007, 10:10:52 AM »

Thanks for this thread, it is very informative. I have been having increasing levels of uric acid in my lab results, but I have never had an episode of gout. What do you think I should do? My doctors have never said anything about it yet. But I think I should call their attention to it and see if we can lower it. I don't eat any of the foods you cautioned about, except the meat and fish as protein sources. The other things I either don't like , or they are to be avoided on the hemodialysis diet anyway.

Bring it to their attention, you do not want to deal with gout pain.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »

Dialysis patients are NEVER well hydrated.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
lamillinger913

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2007, 01:02:48 PM »

Good point, kitkatz.  :2thumbsup;

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2007, 01:47:48 PM »

I can add myself to the list , luckily i only had one episode of gout and Frusedmide caused it. I got it in both knees , no outward signs but the pain was incredible , i couldnt stand and had to be carried to the toilet (huh) In fact in the end i was crying in pain and at the time didnt know it was gout, a call to my GP and a home visit , 24hrs later ahhhhh, I cant remember the tablets because it was 4 yrs ago but they worked really well !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2007, 05:18:29 PM »

You can read about gout and think you know what it is like -- but once you have it, there aren't enough words to describe how much it hurts.  Mine started last week, thought I had "stubbed" my toe. Within two days, my foot was swollen, couldn't bend my toes, lowgrade fever and could have nothing touch my foot.  Saw the dr. Monday - prescribed steroids for the flare and then will put me on Allopurinal. Pain is much better today, but still have several very tender spots.  I have a  high treshold of pain, but this was really hard to bear. No way to get relief.  I thought it was an old man's disease, but dr. says it is definately a kidney patients disease.  They don't tell you when you first are diagnosed how many things are going to go wrong with your body!!!  Maybe that is good - I don't really want to know what will go wrong next!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »

You can read about gout and think you know what it is like -- but once you have it, there aren't enough words to describe how much it hurts.  Mine started last week, thought I had "stubbed" my toe. Within two days, my foot was swollen, couldn't bend my toes, lowgrade fever and could have nothing touch my foot.  Saw the dr. Monday - prescribed steroids for the flare and then will put me on Allopurinal. Pain is much better today, but still have several very tender spots.  I have a  high treshold of pain, but this was really hard to bear. No way to get relief.  I thought it was an old man's disease, but dr. says it is definately a kidney patients disease.  They don't tell you when you first are diagnosed how many things are going to go wrong with your body!!!  Maybe that is good - I don't really want to know what will go wrong next!

Paris, are you diabetic?  I used to have problems with Neuropathy, but now i feel that i am losing the feeling in my feet, they are always tingling.  Did you get any symptoms like that before your gout?   ???

www.kidneyoogle.com
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »

No, not diabetic.  My uric acid levels have been going up for the past year and they didn't want to put me on another med until I had symptoms.  I didn't have any pain previously or numbness.  Neuropathy can be extremely painful, so I figured it was that.  I hope you can get an answer to your problem.  I am always reluctant to tell my doctor when things hurt, but I have now learned my lesson.  Talk to you dr. - don't let it get worse.  Thanks for asking!  Take care.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2007, 05:10:50 PM »

Well, the foot just kept getting worse. Dr. gave me another medicine.  By then my foot felt like it was broken. Medicine worked, but the side effects were horrible.  Pain has been gone for 5 days and today I can feel it starting again.  Last week I couldn't get out of bed, so I really want this to stop.  Don't they just shoot horses at this point???!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »