I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Gout and it's Pain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gout and it's Pain  (Read 41951 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2007, 01:09:22 PM »

Excellent, keep up the great labs girlfriend   :clap; (now go get that prescription filled) ;) ;) 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2007, 01:28:18 PM »

Good job re: lab results.  Now all we need to know is that you have your prescription and you can start taking the medicine.  You know we worry about you!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »

My nephrologist passed by with lots of good news concerning my end of month blood results.  He also announced that he is leaving the country. 

Good news! Glad to hear it!

Is he leaving the country permanently?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2008, 02:02:56 AM »

:shy; :shy; :shy;    gout again!  this time in my right hand.  can't even type with my hand.   it started yesterday and i just woke  in the middle of the night and the pain is severe.  for a while the pharmacy had no allopurinol.  i asked about it two days ago and then forgot to get it.  now i have to deal with this!  i will get an Indomethacin prescription in the morning.
i thought it was an infection at first.  ihad forgotten about gout.....  this is more than a year since i have had it...

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2008, 02:27:16 AM »

just found a means of some temporary relief - cold water on the area!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2008, 07:38:46 AM »

OUCH!  Sorry to hear you're in pain  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Red from Canada

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2008, 07:50:38 AM »

I am just getting over a bout of gout in my big toe. Ugh!  It was painful!.  My Neph put me on a 6 day course of prednisone. 6,5,4,3,2,1.  The pain was gone after the first two days, but I was told to finish them all.  I had been forgetting to take my allopurinol and paid for it.BTW, I was thought to be allergic to allopurinol at first, but my Neph sent me to an allergist who started me off on miniscule amounts and gradually built up tolerance, so now I can take it.  Hope this info helps someone as the pain is SO debilitating!  Cheers and Merry Christmas!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2008, 08:13:52 AM »

I've had only two episodes with gout and we treated it with prednisone too.  I take 5 mg daily anyway and for the gout we upped it a bit and decreased slowly.  About four days in total as I recall.  No reoccurrence in over a year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:47:43 PM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »

Bajanne,  I am sorry you have gout again.  It is unbelievable pain.  Please take you medicine.   At the start of the thread, Goofynina and I were going to fly down there to make sure you got your prescription!    She would be telling you to take you medicine.  She would be sorry you are going through this again.  Sending you love   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »

I was on Indomethacin for a month and vicodin only at night when I couldn't take it anymore. Ice packs definitely helped me. My toe still hurts though. It's stiff, and when I try to bend it - it hurts. I've been wearing sneakers over a month. Tried to wear shoes and said nope. My first bout was 14 months ago. Same toe. When it was really swollen, I'd sleep on the couch with my foot up on top of the couch. good luck feel better!

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »

Well, the pain was really awful today.  I couldn't even dress myself without help.  At dialysis today, my nurse called through to Emergency/Casualty to make things easier for me.  I went there and saw a doctor who gave me a prescription for Indomethacin.  Since all pharmacies would have been closed, he gave me enough for a few days.  He also gave me a prescription for Allopurinol.  I have taken two doses of indomethacin, and the pain is subsiding already.  I am now typing with both hands!
I was thinking about Goofynina and how she would have dealt with me for not taking my medication properly!  Please don't let her know!  I promise to take the Allopurinol religiously when the pain is totally gone!

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »

Goofynina would have  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; you for not taking your meds!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »

I can just hear her!!!!!!

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »

I have gout,  wow it sucks. It is so painful.  I take colchicine, allopurinol, and from time to time I get a cortisone shot if it is bad enough.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »

MandaMe,  those are the meds I take and they seem to really help.  I will do anything to keep it at bay!   

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »

MandaMe,  those are the meds I take and they seem to really help.  I will do anything to keep it at bay!   

Yeah for the most part it dose keep it at bay. *smile*  But it dose still act up more then I would like.  Probly 1 to 2 times a month.  I know that isn't too bad, but it still gets old after a while.  Where dose it effect you the most?  It acts up in my right foot the most.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »

Toes and ankles - end up on crutches and just can't move.  What a stupid thing to have!  I thought only King Henry and people like that got it!   :rofl;   Thank God for medicine!

Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2009, 06:46:34 AM »

OMG!! I have GOUT  it is so Painful. This is the first time i have ever gotten it in my knee. I usually get it in my feet but not this time it is so awful..  At first I thought that I had pulled something since I have been working out. But then i got my Blood results from the Dr and he said asked if I had GOUT I said my Feet don't hurt but my Knee does. Come to find out I had it in my Knee..  i do not wish this upon anyone. 

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2009, 07:11:22 AM »

I had it a long, long time ago.  I don't know why it stopped but after more than 30 years I still remember how much it hurt.  Go ahead and scream.  They use to  say the pain was equivalent to giving birth.  I've never done that so I don't really know.

I too  allopure (spell) and  zyloprim (I think).  One prevented it and one would get rid of it once the pain started.  Can't remember which on that either.

I was once consider for kings, etc. and called a rich man's disease.  Supposedly that thought it was from a diet rich in red meats and red wines.  I stopped eating red meat but and switched to Chardonnay.  Later doctors said it had nothing much to do with diet... who knows.  OMG, your post brought back some unpleasant memories.  I'm thinking about you.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2009, 07:35:05 AM »

Thanks

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
Leon

Daughter (Shawna), Me, Wife (Juanita) 2003

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2009, 09:56:49 AM »

I've had gout which started about 3 years ago.  So far, all that has been needed is aspirin, which I already take due to one previous stroke, and total avoidance of Beef and Seafood (especially crustaceans).  Thank God.  It was terribly painful.  I tried eating shrimp about a year after the first attack and it returned within 12 hours.

Leon
pdpatty

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2009, 09:45:17 AM »

I understand very well about gout BUT (knock on wood) I have NOT had an attack since I went on hemo  2 yeras ago.

Of course I try not to eat the foods I knew was a trigger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »