I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:20:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dilemma
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 2620 times)
GoingThere

« on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:04 AM »

Hello everyone!

I have a dilemma. As you know I've been  on D since July 2010. And on transplant list since November 2010. No call till this day. 1 month ago national transplant coordinator was in my centre in told me that 75 % of kidney patients get a kidney transplant within 2 years. But he also informed me that non related living donor can be an option. This was a surprise for me as till that day all neph doctors claim that is not possible.

So I have a best friend who is 31 with a child who insists to donate me a kidney. Ok, we would have to do a match test. But if she is a match I could get her kidney. But I'm afraid. What if something happens to her? She has a small child. i would never forgive myself if something would happen to her.

So I've decided to wait another half a year to possible get a cadaver kidney. And after that start the procedure for non related living donor transplant. What would you do? Have you ever thought about possible bad consequences? What if something happens to her during operation? Or later in her life. She is still young and her child needs her.

regards,

Uros
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:14:48 AM by GoingThere » Logged

1995 - kidney biopsy - IgA
2002 - BP 220/140 - hospitilized
2004 - stage 3 of kidney failure
2005 - stagae 4of kidney failure
2009 - on the edge of stage 5
july 2010 - stage 5
14 july 2010 - catheter inserted and first D session
15 july 2010 - AV fistula created
dec. 2012 - tx with major rejection (plasmapheresis, atg, prednisone pulses)
apr 2013 - kidney function stable
big777bill

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »

Since it does bother you wait the 6 months and ease your mind. That's what I would do. God Bless, Bill

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »

I agree with Bill.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:49:50 AM »

me too

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »

Her being young with a young child.   That is hard for anyone to decide.  If I were in your shoes (which Iam not), I would not do it!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »

There's nothing wrong with waiting if it makes you uncomfortable. You can always revisit your situation in a few months. And you don't even know if she matches anyway. You may be worrying over a non-possibility.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »

I was in the same boat as you. I had no family at the time that offered to donate other than my hubby.

A very close friend of mine offered her kidney and her child was only about a year old at the time. I felt guilty too. She opted in the end not to proceed due to her doctor advising her not to.  I was relieved for her and her child that she decided not to go forward being tested.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »

But then on the other hand, if it is what she really wants to do for you, then what?  It is definately a hard choice! 

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Sue

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »

Hi there :) I completely understand your dilemma, I have 3 sons all of whom have offered to be tested to see if they are compatible to donate a kidney for me. I just cannot get my head around allowing them to do that, I worry so much that something will go wrong for them either now or in the future because of it. I haven't started dialysis yet, so I guess I'm in a watch and wait place right now. If I were you I'd take my time and if it doesn't feel right then it's not right :)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »

Bill, are you in the US? I ask, because I didn't think there were any nephs in the US who believed that non-related live kidney donation was not possible. Why do they believe that??? That is something that has been going on for years here in the US. After all, how many organ-transplant patients are related to their cadaver donors?  Why would that work, but not a living donor?

As for your choice in waiting, that is entirely up to you and what you are comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable with your young-mother friend going forward with this for you, there is nothing wrong with waiting further. Making a decision to receive a kidney, from the cadaver list OR from a live donor, is a very personal decision for each patient. Do whatever feels best and right for you!

I myself received a kidney from a non-blood-related relative (she married into the family) and things were going great up to a week ago, when a hematoma reared it's ugly head and pushed against my newly transplanted friend. I had emergency surgery to remove it, and am now recovering slowly. Creatinine has gone sky high, but is now slowly on its way down. My best advice to anyone - be careful with post-tx biopsies.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
bleija

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »

My brother wants to donate to me, but my brother is weird about hospitals, he has always avoided them and is bvery uncomfortable in them. so pasrt of me really doesnt want to put him through it. he assures me he doesnt care just wants to do whatever he can to help give me a normal life. hes 22 and im  21, he doesnt have any kids. my husband and i discussed it, and i talked it over with my brother too, and decideded to let him get worked up, be listed, and see what comes first. when i told my boss about my decision... i told her that i was gonna take the most selfish choice and take whatever comes first. aand she stops me and say ur not being selfish, u've dealt with this for how long now, its not selfish.
whatever u decide, remember she wants to help you, and isnt reqally thinking about the worst case scenario. she just wants u to be better.... this is what my boss told me about my brother
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »

Going there, I see that you are outside of the US.  I can assure you that living donation from non-related donors have been a feature here in the US for years.  As a matter of fact, with some types of renal disease, it is best NOT to receive an organ from a blood relative as there may be genetic component that is as yet undiscovered.

I will mention only one thing as this type of a situation happened to me.  Your friend might be willing to give you a kidney, but her husband may well not like that idea at all.  I don't know if your friend is married or still has a relationship with her baby's father, but if she does, he might not want her to do it.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
GoingThere

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 02:21:04 AM »

Thank you for your answers!

I will wait 6 months.

Regards,

Uros

P.S.: I'm currently training for a small cycle marathon (97 km). ;)

1995 - kidney biopsy - IgA
2002 - BP 220/140 - hospitilized
2004 - stage 3 of kidney failure
2005 - stagae 4of kidney failure
2009 - on the edge of stage 5
july 2010 - stage 5
14 july 2010 - catheter inserted and first D session
15 july 2010 - AV fistula created
dec. 2012 - tx with major rejection (plasmapheresis, atg, prednisone pulses)
apr 2013 - kidney function stable
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »