I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:19:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  BRRRR...Is it cold in here?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BRRRR...Is it cold in here?  (Read 2879 times)
Annig83

« on: March 31, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »

Two questions:

1. Does anyone on CCPD get cold after being filled?  If so, why?  My machine puts in warm fluid...so why am I freezing?
2. Since I am freezing...could it be anemia?  My iron levels haven't been horrible....???

(And yes... my heat is on, I'm dressed in layers, and under blankets... ;)  suggestions?) <--- I guess that was my third question?...Ha!  That's my fourth! :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Annig83

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »

LOL...just realized that my post title...is a question!!  Oh my goodness.... Okay, I'm done! :rofl;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »

I was always freezing at hemo.  Even though they heated the blood being pumped back in, it wasn't body temp.  It's inevitable that would lower mine.  I'm betting your PD fluid isn't body temp either. 

Stick a thermometer against the line - see what temp it is.  Compare it to yours.  Even a couple of degrees colder is going to make you shiver!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

deniferfer

My nickname is princess

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »

To answer all your questions.. LOl  :rofl;

I'm on PD also and yeah sometimes I get really cold when it fills too. Its usually only on the 1st fill. That is because I have found that the machine warms it but not completely for the 1st fill. So what do is try to set up a little earlier and I let in sit and warm up for about a hour before. The other thing you can check the machine and see what the setting the bag temp is. During the winter months I turn in up and in the summer I turn it back down.

Anemia? Maybe..When my iron drops I don't get cold, I just get pale and tired. Oh and crave to have ice chips!! ;D But you could be different.

The only other time I get really cold is if I over do myself and I get too tried. I find I get every cold and its hard for me to warm up.

I think I got them all! Hope this helps.  :) 

1981-1995: Perfectly fine
1996: November, started feeling sick
1997: April, creatine at 17 and began dialysis    
1997: May Place on PD
2006: Had to replace PD tube
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:35:10 PM »

i did the manual exchanges, and half the time i forgot to heat up my bags, so thats probably why i was so cold, but even when i did remember id get chilled, so it probably has alot to do with just the general change, because im sure they dont heat them to your body temp reguardless...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
*kana*

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »

I wrap up in an electric blanket for my first fill or you can request a heating pad and place your first bag on the pad in the morning.  I have the Liberty and it doesnt start warming until I hook everything up. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

I do get cold from time to time, but not when I'm cycling. I do set by bags up well before I actually connect, like 3 hours or so. I do this because I have a manual I need to get in and dwell 3 hours before going on the cycler for the night. And I use the cycler heater to heat the 2L manual bag too. So I set up the machine, warm up my 2L bag then leave it on with the 6L bags for the night. That said, I think I just get colder easier now that my kidneys have failed.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
mcclane

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »

I remember when I was on PD, I did get cold very easily.  It was also embarrassing, it could be mid spring, temps in the mid teens, people are in tshirts/shorts, and I'm bundled up in a parka and mitts.  It wasn't until I did nocturnal hemo that the cold feeling went away, or most of it. 

I'm not sure what the cause maybe, low hemoglobin ?  Or high creatine levels ?
ChrisEtc

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »

I prefer it to be cold over hot.  I usually bring a blanket so I'm good with cold.  When it's hot?  That really sucks.  The temperature is always a battle at my clinic!  Luckily I win most of those... haha!
Restorer

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:15:46 AM »

When I was on PD, the unheated bags were really nice in the summer, when I was feeling too hot. As the weather got colder (and I kept my bags in the garage), the first fill on the Newton cycler was pretty cold if I didn't preheat the bags for 2 hours. I'd just wrap up in a comforter in bed and shiver a bit until I warmed up.

Other than that, I felt chronically cold when I was anemic. It made going to night classes in the fall/winter difficult. Tylenol sometimes helped readjust my body temperature set point.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »