I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 04:20:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Animals in home after transplant
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Animals in home after transplant  (Read 9272 times)
dyann

« on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »

Ok maybe this is a stupied question but I have recently been told that having my cats in my home after I have my transpant is not a good thing,  that they carry to many germs  and that I should'nt even have them in my home now while doing my Nx Stage at home.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this/ ot have you been told anything?

MOVED TOPIC - To Transplant: General Discussion forum - RichardMEL, Moderator
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:09:50 AM by RichardMEL » Logged
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:39:27 AM »

I don't know about cats but I know that my training nurse didn't bat an eye when I told her that we have a dog.  I just keep him out of the room when I am hooking up but other than that he usually gives me a wide berth when I am doing my treatments with NxStage.

As far as transplant, I was told that the dog should not be an issue.

I am wondering if cats are different because of the litter boxes?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:00:27 AM »

Yes, it's the litter boxes primarily with cats. They are worried about toxoplasmosis, which is the reason that pregnant women are told to avoid cleaning litter trays as well. You can also contract toxoplasmosis from getting scratched by the cat since their claws can carry particles from the litter.

I grew up with cats, dyann, and had my transplant before my first cat. I had cats almost non-stop for 25 years. No problems that have ever been traced back to the cat. I probably did contract toxoplasmosis at some point and fought it off since they say anyone with a lot of exposure to cats probably already has antibodies for it. Just wear good gear when cleaning up after your cat and you should be fine, or get someone to help with the litter tray for the first year or so. So long as you practice universal precautions for hygiene, I see no reason to stop enjoying the company of felines.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:07:07 AM »

Whom ever told you that is an idiot, well misinformed. This has been talked about before, but needs refreshing. There are people on here who have cats and are on NxStage who take precautions and haven't had serious problems. There are many many people who have had transplants who have kept their pets also including myself. You just need to take precautions when cleaning up after them. The ones we are told to stay away from are birds and reptiles.

I even went to school to become a vet tech after transplant with working on farm and household pets. I have 2 cat's and a pup right now and soon a guide dog. I also hand raised canaries my dad was breeding and had one for a short time as a pet. Those times with school and raising canaries seemed to be my healthiest times.

Sooo don't give up your pets, they are important part of your life and well being.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:17:50 AM »

We have two cats.  I'm not sure that anybody specifically asked that we even had pets before Blokey's transplant, but perhaps they did.  I take care of the litter-trays (not that they use them much, except in an emergency ... that's what the neighbours garden is for!)

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:13:22 AM »

I believe for the first few months after transplant you need someone to help you clean the litter boxes. After that you still may want to wear gloves when you clean. But as long as your cats also get proper vet care I think you can keep them.
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »

I had cats with both transplants.  My dear hubby always cleaned the litter box, and I've never had a problem.   My cat passed away and now I have a dog.  The transplant center said dogs were not a problem.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »

I believe for the first few months after transplant you need someone to help you clean the litter boxes. After that you still may want to wear gloves when you clean. But as long as your cats also get proper vet care I think you can keep them.
You are correct and I should have mentioned that also. However my center says to change clothes and wash face and hands afterwards.

Or if we do not watch the male cat, he will dig and use flower bed like a dog. Flowers are not as rosey in color tho with his antics!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »

I have two teenagers, six cats, six dogs and a white rat.  I had three horses, two guinea pigs, a beta fish and another rat at the time of my transplant in addition to the dogs and cats.   My kids get to clean the kitty litter and I wash/sanitize my hands frequently to be safe.   

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:49:45 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »

Yup, just be more cautious.  I just got two brand new kittens.  Like I did with my last cat, I wear glasses, gloves and a mask to deal with the litter pan.  I'm extra cautious about hand washing, especially while cooking and eating.  And of course, I took my new babies to the vet for all the shots, pills and tests the first week I had them.

The no pets was from the days before all the advances in transplant meds.  No need to get rid of cats or dogs.  Birds and reptiles I've still heard warnings about, but stuff with fur, no problems.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

dyann

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »

Thanks everyone this helps a lot my kids would be heartbroken if I had to get rid of them. :cheer:
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 02:14:14 AM »

Totally keep the cats!! It is A-OK!

I talked to multiple folks about this issue in the years prior to my tx - from the TX co-ordinator to the chief neph of my unit(who happened to be my physician :) ). All pretty much said it's OK - don't go near litter box for 3 months (what a great excuse/reason to get my sister to clean the tray for me?!!! ) and all. They also said something that makes a LOT of sense to me - that I've had my cat for years - her germs and bacterias are already IN my system (my boss is an indoor kitty) - so it's not like anything new is being introduced to the environment - if I got  a new cat or something - different issues - but my beloved best buddy? totally ok!!

And as far as I know nothing bad has happened from having my kitty stay with me. Now I was cautious for the first month or so about her getting too close on the bed, she'd lick my hand and I'd wash straight away etc, I'm a little more lax about that now, but it is all good, and when I go to bed and she jumps up and snuggles with me... well I couldn't boot her out could I?!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »

The transplant center tried to get me to get rid of my 14 year old cat after my second transplant and I totally refused.  I think it is insensitive to ask that of someone as long as there are precautions you can take to keep your transplant and your pet.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
coravh

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »

I also had a cat when I got my tx. He lived for many more years and was only 18 when he passed. At first I used gloves when I cleaned the litter box, but became more complacent and was just careful and washed my hands after. I never had any problems and Willis didn't give me anything. He was worth the effort too.

Cora
brandywine

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »

Mayo told me that pet-related illness is rare. Just don't change the litter box.
They said that if I hadn't had any issues while on dialysis, that I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've had my cat for 15 years, so he wasn't going anywhere anyway. Like many other things, different hospitals/doctors will tell you different things.

IgA Nephropathy Diagnosed Feb 2009
Transplant List Nov 2010
Peritoneal Dialysis Dec 2010
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

I've had my two new kittens for 3 months now.  I am still using gloves and a mask for litter box changes, just like I did with my last one.  I've only had one health related problem - not getting enough sleep while the two of them are using bed as a WWF ring at 3 am.   Thankfully, they are outgrowing that a bit - or at least have gotten wise enough to realize that they get locked out of the room if they wake me up!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »

I was told that since I already had my cat for so long prior to TX I already "had" her germs, or rather my system was used to her kitty germs so it wasn't an issue - a new pet would need to hold off for maybe a year, but Celeste wouldn't allow another kitty anyway !! lol

so yeah.... I think it's ok as long as you're careful with litter trays etc. of course birds are a no no for tx patients, but an existing pet is going to be fine, a newer pet... later on I think when a tx is settled would be ok.

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »

So funny we just had a conversation at work the other day about cats, toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Now that Tony got a transplant on Friday, I clicked on this thread to see what the story was. I know his PD nurse said we should get rid of the cats because she blamed his peritonitis on the cats. After speaking with the nurse at the hospital last night (got on the subject because we said how happy we were that we wouldn't have to deal with her anymore) and telling him about the peritonitis/cat incident, he said that there is one specific bacteria that comes from cats and causes peritonitis. And we know for a fact that Tony had a very general bacteria that he could have picked up anywhere.

In regards to toxoplasmosis, in pregnant women you would literally have to touch the feces with your hands and then touch your mouth. I assume that's how a tx patient would have to get it - from touching the cats feces and then touching their face/mouth. So yeah if the cat had poop on their feet, touched you and then you touched your mouth, or you changed the box and didn't wash your hands and then touched your face/mouth I could see it happening.

BUT cats only get toxoplasmosis from eating rodents, birds or other small animals. So if you have an indoor only cat, then I think the risk of the cat having toxoplasmosis for you to catch is very low to begin with. And you can also get it from eating undercooked meat, unwashed produce and from contaminated drinking water.

I know the only instruction we've received is that I need to change the box for now. Which of course thrills Tony to no end, and I'll do it, but I really think he should live on the wild side and change it too, as I definitely recall changing it when I was pregnant also, but I guess it was okay for me to risk our sons life...  :sarcasm;

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »

Give him a few months break from changing the litter. After that he can wear gloves or gloves and a mask when he cleans it if he wants to be really careful. The best advice for both of you, with or without cats, is lots of hand washing.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »

Agreed - that's what I forgot in my earlier post - I got my sister to do the litter tray for 3 months (WOOHOO!) but then decided I should get back on the job myself since I couldn't ask her to come a few times a week to clean up cat shyte - even though she adores her kitty neice :) - anyway after 3 months I used gloves and washed hands with soap straight after AND used antibacterial after that and so far no issue.

And I was even tested last year for toxoplasmosis (and "Cat Scratch Fever") last year and was clear, but my kitty is indoor so yeah unlikely to have those issues.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »

We've recently talked about getting a kitten (we've had three rescue cats; one nervous, one naughty and one chatty so want to go the baby route this time), partly because we miss Mog, partly because Dora needs a new playmate (she demands so much attention, it's exhausting) and partly because we just want one. 

So I've begged, pleaded and cajoled Blokey into 'requesting permission' that it's okay for us to get a new pet as he's only eight months post-transplant and this thread worried me; I didn't want Blokey putting his health at risk.  He had his clinic today so he asked.  Apparently the Neph laughed at him.  I don't think he did really ... Blokey is prone to seeing things that nobody else sees.  He was told it would be fine and the main thing to watch out for would be getting scratched so he needs to try to avoid that, and even then it's rare for it to become a major issue.

So, mind at rest ... we're going to get a kitten! Yay!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
smcd23

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »

Poppy I'm honestly more worried about what our 2 year old is going to bring home. The cats are clean compared to him.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »

Yeah, there's no germ factory quite like a kid - especially one in pre-school!  But the docs never suggest getting rid of those, do they?   ;D

smcd23

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »

No and I tried on Tuesday. Ours currently has molluscum contagiosum these viral pox/wart type things that have to run their course and can takes months/years to completely go away. When I was walking into the room the sign said kids had to be evaluated for any childhood illnesses (most adults are immune to the virus, and he's had them for months and haven't given them to either of us) and the doc had to go check. I told him he's two and a little too big for me to drop at baby safe haven sooo lol. In the end we just have to try to keep them covered and wash/sanitize if we touch them. Needless to say, the cats and the dog are the least of my concern.

Now what?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

Yeah my nieces are germ factories. But they're so cute I just can't stay away. One more note on kids. Make sure when your son has any vaccinations to find out what precautions to take. Some shed through the skin, some through excretory system. Call your coordinator before each vaccination to be informed. The chicken pox vaccine is a tough one.

But don't trade in the kid. The love is worth it.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »