I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 06:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Animals in home after transplant
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Animals in home after transplant  (Read 9275 times)
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 07:07:32 AM »

Thankfully I think our son will be vaccine free for the next few years except the flu shot annually. He's up to date and on time with everything else, but I definitely didn't know that! Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind at his next check up (3 year old visit I think) so they can note his chart for future reference!

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »

Transplant recipients aren't supposed to be around anyone who was given the live virus vaccine - in other words, the easy inhaler option they normally give to kids.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »

Poppy I'm honestly more worried about what our 2 year old is going to bring home. The cats are clean compared to him.
Haha!  Mog (playfully) scratched Blokey a few months ago and I thought nothing of it, but when I think of him using public toilets or touching door handles my belly heaves!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:52 AM »

It's a funny one - I too was thinking along these lines I mean my kitty loves to come sit on me or put her paw on my arm or whatever and I have to remember... geez that paw was in her littler box today - now she's always cleaning herself, but as a grossed out friend reminds me "but.. it's CAT SPIT!" lol and well.. she has a point.. but it's funny really because nobody's ever really said oh you have to watch out for that - even though I have been tested for the (apparently rare) "Cat Scratch Fever" - which can do damage to 'normal' people not just tx ones!  Anyway when I think of this or she flexes her claws on my arm or something I do go dabble the antibacterial on there.

And yes, I am perhaps more phobic about those public toilets, handles, public transport anything etc... so far so good but it really does open your eyes abit when you think about all the places you are, things you touch, what might be on them etc - even in our computer room with servers and stuff in there, who knows what's lurking in "airconditioned comfort"? - I have a big bottle of the antibacterial on my desk which I often use, wipe down my keyboard and desk area every so often and stuff. I often gets jokes from fellow staff members about the amount of alcohol in it and how it smells like vodka and they're sure I'm actually drinking it on the job!  :rofl;

I guess the main thing is to be aware of things and act with common sense rather than fear.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »