I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Doctors
| | | |-+  Retaliation (staff behaviors towards patients) of Patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Retaliation (staff behaviors towards patients) of Patients  (Read 6690 times)
dialysisadvocate

« on: April 28, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »

I am wondering how many of  you have experienced retaliation --- we are seeing more and more patients complaining of this aspect that is deep rooted in many facilities -- Retaliation comes in many forms, shapes and sizes -- a simple example is the patient who brings forth a concern related to his/her treatment --- the staff's response is a simple facial expression, shoulder shrugging, nodding of the head e.g. moving the head to the left and right showing dissatisfaction with what the patient has stated and various other body language demonstrated -- These, aforementioned, send a clear message to the patient "DO NOT ASK THAT AGAIN OR BRING IT TO MY ATTENTION"  -- This starts the chain of patients fear to speak out when there is a problem with care..

We now have an 800 number for patients to call who are experiencing such in their units -- although hard to prove, because staff stick together like glue, when a complaint comes to light and is investigated --- often an investigation sends a clear message that patients need to be treated with respect, need to be included in their care and have a RIGHT to ask a question or question anything that is being done to theri body.. Further, for instance, here in California, the state (a different department than that which inspects units) will investigate retaliation and will investigate a particular staff person. Even though the staff is not found guilty, the investigation sends a message to all staff -- also, just like nurses are licensed and a complaint can be filed against a nurse with the Board of nursing -- the same applies to technicians,, they are now certified and can lose their certificfation or have disciplinary action taken....

opinions of Roberta Mikles BA RN
www.qualitysafepatientcare.com
Advocates4QualitySafePatientCare

Roberta Mikles BA RN - www.qualitysafepatientcare.com
Dialysis Patient Safety Advocate
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »

The toll free number, if you are having a problem with care in your unit, have been injured, harmed or retaliated in any way, is 1-800-847-8842

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:34:12 AM »

Well, I don't think I would call it retaliation by the actual definition, but I was definitely heavily dissuaded from switching modalities to home hemo with NxStage by the clinic I used to go to since they didn't offer it.  Even the neph on my shift tried to talk me out of it.  I know it was because I am still private insurance and they lost a big chunk of income when I left.  They were trying to convince me that I would not get "good" dialysis on NxStage - my lab work and quality of life completely proves them as liars.
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »

Cattlekid - sorry to hear that -- and to think that providers continue to profess that they give good care, ensure that their patients received the best method of treatments, etc... I would agree that it might have been because you are the $$$$$$$$- to hear that a nephrologist tried to convince you not to do home is a 'head-shaking' moment.. Just goes to show you that even some of the nephrologists are corrupt -- I would bring my lab work to the facility and any thing else that can support that you are doing better with quality of life improved. Of course, you can alway do it iin a nice way e.g. Hi, just wanted to let you all know I am doing fine,, etc etc etc......
Opinions of Roberta Mikles

chiawana

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:22:03 AM »

One of the reasons my husband wanted to do home hemo was because of the behavior of some of the center staff. He has bowel problems sometimes, and there were a few times when he was going in-center that he had to go to the bathroom. They had to take him off the machine and put him back on again. Apparently, it was quite a bother for them to do this, and they didn't hide their irritation. What was he supposed to do? Shit his pants? And one time he had a new nurse who actually stuck him right in the fistula - oh was he mad. He's been told ever since it was created NOT to let anyone near it. He did complain to his doctor about it. As soon as he mentioned that he wanted to do home dialysis, his doctor was very supportive. We've just finished training and are doing it at home - I think it's going to be much better in the long run.

My husband is represented in the avatar - he's a Capricorn, the Goat. He's been knocked off his mountaintop so many times by his health issues, but he continues to fight his way back to the top, a little worse for wear.
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »

This is UNACCEPTABLE and I wonder if the doctor did anything about it - you can also file a complaint against an individual technician or a nurse with their certification or licensing board and they will investigate -- we have done such..
I was not sure what you meant by the following::::::
"""""""""And one time he had a new nurse who actually stuck him right in the fistula - oh was he mad. He's been told ever since it was created NOT to let anyone near it------""""""""     Did she/he stick him in the wrong place intentionally?

I always tell people to keep a detailed diary of what happens and what the staff responses are of all that happens -- ALL of it Staff are NOT TRAINED to get rid of their attitudes, those that have such, and to understand that this passive-aggressive behavior will not be tolerated --
Roberta
www.qualitysafepatientcare.com

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »