I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:17:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  describe yourself
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: describe yourself  (Read 8762 times)
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

What a great topic idea!! I had fun reading over everyone's comments.  :2thumbsup;

My word would have to be...
Sweetheart ♥

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »

I'm brobdingnagian.

And insatiable. 

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1571.0

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Gerald Lively

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 03:11:26 AM »

I’m not a doctor but I play one now and then.

My ancestors on the Lively side were plagued with arthritis.  Back in 1970 I started to lift weights.  I didn’t really know what I was doing.  During a one day training session I was told that circulation in the legs is so important, especially when we grow old and decide to sit.  So, I jumped around, did squats with the limited weight set I had and it did make my legs feel better. 

Off and on again training and I emphasized leg training.  After my third bout with cancer I got serious (about 64/65 years of age) about full body training.  My investment in leg exercises seemed to pay off when I got under the bar with 420 lbs on it.  It didn’t seem amazing to me but it did shake up the Powerlifting Competition circuit.  Old guys don’t do that – baloney.

Even if all you ever did was free standing squats (no weights) and only went half-way down, your knees will thank you.  The further down you squat the more you involved the hamstrings and gluts (butt). 

I have been sitting or laying down next to a dialysis machine since early 2008.  My legs were aching.  Once I was able to crawl from beneath that mind numbing fatigue that came with kidney failure, I began doing free standing squats.  Better, much better.  The whole idea is to improve circulation and you do that by making the muscles work a little.  If you can move your knees, try it.  Just do one set and work your way up to 20.  Your legs will love you.

I have arthritis in my wrist and hands.  Squats didn’t help.  Bench presses did wipe out my shoulder pain.

Kootieman
Peace

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo