I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 10:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Thin skin
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thin skin  (Read 3089 times)
ESRD Survivor

« on: March 12, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »

Does anyone else have this problem?  My skin seems to be so dry and when I scratch it, it comes close to bleeding.  It seems to tear easy.  Is it due to dialysis?
Annig83

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:11:23 PM »

My skin doesn't seem to be thinning, but OH MY GOODNESS is it dry!  I have the same issue with scratching especially around my catheter site (I do PD) and in an instant I tear skin because of the itching.  Dialysis does cause thinning skin, itching, and even hair loss, same with a transplant.  I found this site and it may have some helpful hints for you. 

http://lifeoptions.org/catalog/pdfs/teaching/SkinAndHair.pdf

:bestwishes;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »

You can also try Dove soap ( the bar, not the body wash) and Cetaphil lotion.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
rileysmom

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:20:51 AM »

i have the same problem with itchy skin.. i have so many scratch marks on my skin.. it is so dry and when i scratch it just starts to bleed. i have tried everything and nothing seems to help. it has come to the point that at times i take a benadryl at night just to get to sleep. the benadryl cream seems to help a little bit as well. it's terrible!!!! :stressed;
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

Annig83   Thanks for the link to the paper.  I too have itchy dry skin and especially my legs.  If I scratch them, they will bleed.  My wife keeps telling me it is because of the dry skin and she says to put lotion on.  While that helps for about 10 minutes, it doesn't do any more.  Up to now, I couldn't explain it to my wife - Now I have the paper and know that I'm not going nuts. 

Riverwhispering

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:18:45 AM »

How old are you?  I have had thin skin that I've noticed for the last 4 or 5 years and I'm sure it's totally related to ageing.  I think over 55 years old it's a normal part of life.

I found a great product for dry skin at "The Body Shop" called HEMP Hand Protector (very dry skin) and it works wonderfully.  I've even had this one dry patch for close to 20 years and since I started using this stuff it's not hardly noticeable anymore.

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
Grumpy-1

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:26:18 AM »

Riverwhispering   - I'm 60.  And while I agree that dry skin comes with age, it seems to me that it has been worse since starting PD a couple years ago.  The paper indicates that high phosphorus level can cause it and mine are a bit high.

Riverwhispering

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:05 AM »

Grumpy I'm sorry, I meant the bruising/thin skin comes with age not the dry skin

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »

kind of weird for me, the last few years on dialysis the skin on my hands and feet are sooooo dry that they peel and grow back hard, hard like a rock and Im 29 years old.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »

the skin on my face bleeds easy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Annig83

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »

Having a high phos. level can definitely increase the itchiness of your skin.  My phos. has never been high, but I still itch like crazy at night when "hooked" up for PD.  Lillipie- I'll be 29 in May, and I have horrible dry skin on the bottom of my feet... gives me an excuse to get a pedicure every few weeks :) it works wonders... but if you want to save a little money, you can just buy a foot scrub at a Wal-Mart, or other grocery store.  You can use it everyday, and it will prevent the harding of the skin, and rub off the old dry skin that's there. :)
Grumpy- Glad that paper helps!  :clap;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 06:11:50 AM »

skin-thinning goes with the meds, and D, and ageing. I found coconut-oil works best for me. Smells okay too

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rain

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »

I agree with Cassadra, Coconut oil is awesome.  I've survived this winter without having blistered dry skin.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
deniferfer

My nickname is princess

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »

I had that when my phos was high and I didn't know it cuz  I didn't find out that was what caused it till much later and I had got my phos back under control.     

1981-1995: Perfectly fine
1996: November, started feeling sick
1997: April, creatine at 17 and began dialysis    
1997: May Place on PD
2006: Had to replace PD tube
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »