I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:34:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  holding blood thinners for a procedure is a gamble
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: holding blood thinners for a procedure is a gamble  (Read 1619 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »

I had my catheter out today and since Tuesday I had to hold my blood thinners, I'm on thinners to help keep my access open, I noticed my thrill has changed a bit since they've been held. I know they have you hold your blood  thinners but in my oppinion if it's to keep your access running, it's taking a risk on having to be declotted, but if you don't hold them then you can bleed like crazy so it's a darned if you do darned if you don't situation, anyone else agree?

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »

My blood thinners were to keep my retinopathy from getting worse.  Even more thrilling to have to go off them with going blind as a possible complication.   :P

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »

You can ask your doctor about low molecular weight heparin (Lovenox is one of the more commonly used) and they can stop the coumadin which I believe you are implying as your anti-coagulant while covered by the LMW heparin which is then held and restarted after pulling the catheter. That gives you about 12 hours without coagulation which most patients tolerate compared to several days without coumadin. You may wish to discuss this with your medical team.

Another way to do this is a heparin window which is even shorter, as little as three hours without anticoagulation. That was used more frequently in hospitalized patients who needed coagulation for instance of artificial heart valves but also needed surgery.  None of these are without their own risks, but if clotting is the highest risk, they are the considerations most often utilized.

I hope that this is helpful information to discuss with your medical team.

God bless,

Peter

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »