I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 10:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I am sure most of us have felt this way.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am sure most of us have felt this way.  (Read 2907 times)
Brightsky69

« on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »

Hi all...

I am sure some of us older folks...and I say older being over 40.  ;D  I remember when I received my first transplant I was just barely 21 years old. Man!! After that transplant I felt like a million bucks. I had energy to spare. For the next 17 years I felt great.
Fast forward about 19 years to my second transplant. I was 41 when i got the 2nd transplant. It's a little over 1 year old. So far so good...knock on wood.
I will soon be 43 (June 2012) and am starting to feel little achs and pains and other small signs of aging. All things aging I want to blame on kidney disease and dialysis and transplant and medications!!   :rofl;  Any little ache or pain anywhere on my body and I immediately think KIDNEY related.  Or it's a side effect from medication.
I really don't stop to think...I am 43 not 21 anymore and it's gonna get harder for me to do things like go horse back riding with out getting stiff and sore after a trail ride. I don't jump off that horse anymore like the kid I use to be....even then dealing with dialysis and transplant.
I am just so use to blaming ESRD for all my health problems.  ::)
I never factored in this getting old thing....my mind still thinks I am 21.  :laugh:

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »

Bright Sky I have the same problem. My brain forgets I am 73 now and thinks sometimes it can move mountains, however my body has another story. I can ( still) remember taking care of 3 little kids, working part time, doing all of the meals and laundry, etc, etc and not even thinking twice about it. Now, 2 loads of laundry and I am shot for the day. Unfortunately, the dirt keeps piling up, no matter how I feel about it and I have not yet figured that out. I mean figured out how to not let the dirt pile up.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one with that little problem. I'm old now, 47, and outlived so many of my fellow- patients, and friends, and than sometimes I still react as if I'm still 17. It was quite funny though when I sat nicely on the floor, and then couldn't get up anymore. Had to wait for hubby to lift me up. Frustrating just a bit, but I'm quite impressed with myself for getting old actually. Went a bit too quick though, seems like yesterday.....

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Brightsky69

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »

Cassandra  - Oh yes...I can relate. Sitting on the floor...crossed legged...hard to get up again.

Jean - Where does the time go? Yesterday I was 22.  ;D June I'll be 43.

MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »

Cassandra  - Oh yes...I can relate. Sitting on the floor...crossed legged...hard to get up again.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, brightsky!  Sitting on the floor - IMPOSSIBLE to get up. And forget the crosslegged part, too
Brightsky69

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:44:03 AM »

That is true Mary.  :lol;
Not to mention just getting out of bed in the morning....got to get the blood flowing again.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »

Ah, yes, the rude reminders that this time around at college, I can't pull an all-nighter to study and function like normal the next day on hardly any sleep. 

Okay, never mind, I'm gonna blame it on the meds anyhow!   ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »

attagirl jbeany. Blame it on anything but age.
Mary D, no kidding, if I crossed my legs, I would be a pretzel forever.
I once asked my brother who is now 85, did he wish he was 18 and knew what he knows now? He said, I would not care what I knew, I would just love to be 18 again. LOL

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »

And that's not grey - the sun just reflected off the metal frames of my glasses and lightened only the hair at my temples.  Honest.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »

I'm 50 and just had my first bought with back problems.  And, yes, I blame years of prednisone.  Maybe it is just age?  It is better now.

I called my GP and she was gone so I saw some other guy in the office and he wrote me a Rx for a huge amount of Vicodone (sp) and a huge amount of muscle relaxer..... I just wanted a back x-ray.

:P

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »

What kind of back problems ReRun?

Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:06 AM »

At 60 (but feeling like 90) and wishing I was 50 again.  Yes age does slow us down, but D and meds have a big effect on our bodies as well.  Still waiting for my first transplant and hoping that after I will feel as spry as I did at 50.  18 or 20 - too far back to remember.

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »

Forever young, I will keep thinking that (when the sun is out), and dear Grumpy-1 I'm sure you'll feel like 50 again soon, love Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
wj13us

Paul's ride 2011

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »

Brightsky:

I've often wondered the same thing.  I'm 52 and have had a transplant since I was 13.  Am I an average 52 year old or have I aged faster, slower?  Since you only live once I guess I'll never know.

Bill
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »