I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:43:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  breath of fresh air
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: breath of fresh air  (Read 1836 times)
bleija

« on: February 26, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »

Ive read several post about members down and out and ready to give up. i know when I found this site, I was at my lowest point. I was on Pd for 2 years and loved it, well as much as one can love dialysis... i never let it slow me down, i did everything i did b4, full time school and fulll time work, at a highly physiccally demanding job... but when i got an infection that kept coming back, would respond initially to antibioticss, but as soon as i finished the infection would return. the third tiome in 2 months when it returned my nurse told us that we needed to get it out bc he ddnt want me to lose the option of pd altogether and the damage tht these back to back infection were inflicting. i never wanted anypart of hemo and it upset me bad, i felt like it was my fault that i could have done something different, even though my nurse told me time and time again tht there wasnt anything tht could have been done, that i did good by catchin each occurence early, i caught them most when my cell count was between 200 and 500. i was on hemo for abpout 5 months and in time i absolutely hated it lost about 40 lbs bc i just had no interest in eating everything tht i did force myself to eat tasted disgusting, i barely drank anything, a bottle of water would last me a week.had 3 surgeries to correct my pd cath and get it reinserted. at one point i was told that there was nothing else they could do for me and to start aceting the idea of a fistula, when i was on hemo, i was forced to stop everything, i took the semester off from school, bc i know i was gonna have at least the one surgery, and i took off rfrom work, originally until i adjusted to hemo and felt i was up to working again(never happened on hemo, i was  constantly dizzy and weak, couldnt even do a load of laundry w/o needing to sit down, how, was i gonna be on my feet running circles for 4 or 5 hours?) but i switched clinics and got what i needed.
Now I have returned to work, returned to school, i feel great. i feel like i have my life back... i still give my nights to my machine, but my days are just that MINE. i dnt let it slow me down, i went to universaql this weekend and had a blast. i feel like if u find the modaliy that works for you, thn it is what u make it. i know hremo doesnt work for me and i have decided that i will not go back on it ever again, but i have that e3xperience. and i appreciate that i am able to do pd and tghat it works as well as it does for me. :beer1; :) :flower;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »

I'm so glad you are at a good spot right now.  You can help others and understand where they are at when going through a tough time. 
I know you say you won't go back on hemo.... because I've said that myself, but keep your options open.  Dialysis does give us a few days at a time. 

:flower;

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »

Never say never.  PD does stop working sometimes.  It stopped for hubby after 2 1/2 years.  He has been on hemo ever since and doing really well.  Hubby does nocturnal home hemo and he does all the things he did before dialysis started over 15 years ago and he has all his days to himself.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
bleija

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »

i really just dnt want a fistula, i know i say never know, but i know i wont be stubborn enough to killl myself, but i like to think i have some control in the decision. :) i think if forced to do home hemo, i would like to try nocturnal, i dnt know though, hopefully i will never be forced to make decision like that, I have a donor, just have to hope and pray he's a match, hes my brother and we  are less than a year apart. just waiting for the center to start testing him, i finished jumping through all the hoops lol
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »