I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Shingles vaccine when under 50
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shingles vaccine when under 50  (Read 11113 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »

I asked the health center for the shingles vaccine. They said they can give it to me if I provide a note from my neph authorizing it. I have the note now. However, they also said that insurance won't cover it because I'm only 48. I called my insurance company and they confirmed they don't cover it for people under 50. They said it's a federal guideline. If you got the shingles vaccine as an under 50-year-old, were you able to bypass this? If you paid for it out-of-pocket, what did you have to pay for it? I have a call in to the health center to ask their price, but I'd like other opinions so I know if they're overcharging for it.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Annig83

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »

Hi Deanne-

I'm only 28, and I've never even had the chicken pox, (however, I was vaccinated 17 years ago), but my father got shingles even after having the vaccine and he's now 65 (he had it two years ago).  I know that with paying out of pocket that it's very costly to have the vaccine.  It's around 200-300 dollars.  Even then, the vaccine isn't 100% effective (it's 50%), it only decreases the risk, and the pain if you do contract it.

That's all the info. I really have, and I hope it helps you a little bit?  If you have the cash to spend on it and think it's really necessary, then it's up to you.  If you think you can wait a couple of years so you don't have to pay out of pocket then by all means wait.  I would discuss it further with your doctors.  I know mine always make me get pneumonia and flu (and even then I still catch the flu almost every year  :puke; ).  Good luck!

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »

My mother in law developed shingles several years ago, and Knowing the pain that she suffered and still does (she has post-herpetic neuralgia) I would say that it is well worth having.  I didn't know that one was available.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »

And something to remember, for those who don't know (I know Deanne does), is you can't have the vaccine once you're on immunosuppresants. It is a live vaccine, so if you are going to get it and are on the list for a transplant, it's best to get it done now. From what I understand, you want to get it at least 3 mos before transplant, if you have a live donor and are able to plan that.

I know Cariad has a thread on here somewhere about that.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »

EEEEkkkkk good to know.  I'm not waiting for a transplant, but didn't think about al live virus. 

I've had shingles and omg they suck.  AND I can get them again. 

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »

Here's the link to that thread I mentioned.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=24938.msg403733#msg403733

KarenInWa

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »

And something to remember, for those who don't know (I know Deanne does), is you can't have the vaccine once you're on immunosuppresants. It is a live vaccine, so if you are going to get it and are on the list for a transplant, it's best to get it done now. From what I understand, you want to get it at least 3 mos before transplant, if you have a live donor and are able to plan that.

I know Cariad has a thread on here somewhere about that.

KarenInWA

And with that, I have nothing to add/

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »

Wow! I didn't know a vaccine was available. I remember my grandmother getting shingles and what she went through. Thanks, I'll have to look into this.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:19:18 AM »

I did ask about the vaccine when a friend of mine had a bad case of shingles. So, I am well over 50 and on Medicare and a supplemental plan. Dr. said the charge for the shot is $75.00. Probably well worth it.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »

I think I'll wait until my next neph appointment and talk to her about it some more. What are the odds of getting shingles? High? If so, I'll pay out of pocket if I need to and get it done. Low? Maybe I don't really need it, especially if it's only 50% effective anyway.

Like KarenInWA said, if I don't get it before the transplant, I can't get it at all. The average wait on the transplant list is 2-3 years. I've been listed about 6 months and I'll be 50 in about 15 months. So it's possible I'll still be on the list when I hit my 50th birthday and insurance will cover it. My neph thinks I'll be transplanted sooner because of my blood type (A) and PRA (0). The transplant center will put me on a "hold" status for six weeks if/when I get this vaccine, which is why I wanted to get it early in the process, and I figured now would be a good time to do it since I'm on hold anyway after gallbladder surgery.

Deanne

ThadRather

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 03:22:04 AM »

Hi Deanne-

I'm only 28, and I've never even had the chicken pox, (however, I was vaccinated 17 years ago), but my father got shingles even after having the vaccine and he's now 65 (he had it two years ago).  I know that with paying out of pocket that it's very costly to have the vaccine.  It's around 200-300 dollars.  Even then, the vaccine isn't 100% effective (it's 50%), it only decreases the risk, and the pain if you do contract it.

That's all the info. I really have, and I hope it helps you a little bit?  If you have the cash to spend on it and think it's really necessary, then it's up to you.  If you think you can wait a couple of years so you don't have to pay out of pocket then by all means wait.  I would discuss it further with your doctors.  I know mine always make me get pneumonia and flu (and even then I still catch the flu almost every year  :puke; ).  Good luck!
It is very critical situation indeed..Vaccine is very expensive and you will not get enough claim as you are never able to complete insurance company demands.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »

Deanne, did you ever get the shingles vaccine?  I decided against it because of the 3 month waiting period, and good thing I did because I ended up getting the call sooner than I'd expected.  My dad had shingles, and it wasn't pleasant.  I had the chicken pox when I was young, so I think the chances of me getting shingles are probably pretty high.  I think there are things the tx team can prescribe to avoid the worst of the effects if you catch it early enough.  Maybe someone else here has more info on this.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »

I have had the vaccine.  CDC recommendeds for anyone over 50, but in reality is generally not paid for by insurance until you are over 60 or 65 (not sure which).  Howeverm my secondary insurance did cover it.  You will need to get a PCP to give it.  Those Minute Clinics go on guidance and the guidance says that it won't be covered under 50 (probably too much hassle for them).

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »

I did get the vaccine. We have a medical clinic at work and they were willing to give it to me if my neph would provide a note. My neph encouraged me to get it so a note from her was no problem. I never found out how it was covered - if it was turned in to my insurance or if my work clinic somehow covered it. I never got a statement about it. Our work clinic handles vaccinations because people tend to travel overseas and they want us healthy, so it might be that they included this from that fund.

Deanne

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »