I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Disneyworld trip and needed advice pls
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disneyworld trip and needed advice pls  (Read 5303 times)
7piglets

Me and the boys

« on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »

I have not been here in like forever (esp since I see my profile pic and my 'babies' are not 'babies' anymore my son is now 6 although baby in profile pic..:) anyway we are finally planning a trip to disneyworld..I can not wait although nervous ...anyone have any advice I did a search and have found out bring own soda as they wont have my diet 7up and can have supplies delivered ..I am on PD liberty cycler.. my husband and I are traveling with our 3 special needs children and for my one son was told get the GAC (guest assistance card) as he is autistic and has sensory issues along with triggers to crowds and lines..Has anyone received a GAC for dialysis just curious with any thoughts...we are staying at Port Orleans...thanks

TOPIC MOVED to appropriate section - Bajanne, Moderator
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:39:56 AM by Bajanne » Logged
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »

Port Orleans is a beautiful resort, enjoy! You are correct, that they will not have Diet 7-Up, WDW is strictly Coke products. They will have the diet version of what every the Coke equivalent is, and you can get ice water at any of the counter service food locations. You should not have a problem getting your PD supplies delivered, just make the arrangements with your supplier. You might want to give the resort a call and let them know you are coming. You will need to have your supplier mark your name on the boxes as well as your arrival date and reservation number. To get the Guest Assistance Card (GAC), stop at Guest Relations at any of the parks, or City Hall at Magic Kingdom and explain your son's situation to them. They will give you a GAC for him that will provide for his needs. There have been some modifications to how they handle special needs guests, you might drop by the DISabilities forum over on the DIS Boards (www.disboards.com) and take a look through some of the postings to get an idea of how things are being handled. They keep their information pretty up to date. There are even a couple of threads having to do with PD on there that might be interesting. I post over there as DVC DOC, so maybe I'll see you there too!

Most of all, take your time, relax and enjoy! It's a vacation, not a death march  :laugh:

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »

wow, looks like Joe's got it all covered as far as i know about.  They (in the recient past anyway) are VERY good about there compliance w/ada.  Have fun, beautiful family, and take it slow... so much to see and do.. ENJOY :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »

thank you for responses.. I will call hotel tomorrow and advise of delivery and will let supplier know my reservation number (didnt think of that ) I am nervous and hoping no issues with delivery I am taking 3 days worth of manuals with us for ride incase we have a stay over ( it is about 20hr drive for us to get there) but def don't have room for 11 days worth of supplies .. I have one more question what do you do with your 'supplies' when you get off in am?? I know at home we are allowed to throw the empty bags and cartridge in reg garbage although I had someone call the cops on us one time when the bag ripped for garbage guy and supplies fell on street and told them we were throwing out medical waste but got that resolved I just want to avoid that kind of attention while on vacation ..Only other time I went on getaway I just took back home iwth me but this time we don't have the room in car...thanks again !!!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:51 AM »

:yahoo;  I'm happy for you.  I hope you have a wonderful trip.  I go to Disneyland a lot, and I always have a great time. 
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »

7piglets...hubby and I have travelled quite a bit with both the PD cycler and NxStage.  In  both cases, we would put our "used" supplies in one of the boxes, closed it up and put it outside our hotel room door along with other empty boxes.  The maids always took them away without question and we never had any problems.  In one place, we had an extended stay and I just advised the front desk in advance that every day we would have some boxes with "non-hazardous" medical materials in them for disposal and the staff was very accomodating.  Best of luck to you at DW and have a wonderful time! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 07:52:07 AM »

I like Looneytoons idea of boxing it all up and leave it for Mousekeeping to take in the morning.
HTH
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:04:12 AM by Joe » Logged

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
bevvy5

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »

We travelled a lot on PD as well, mostly in timeshares which is more like condos, but while in hotels, we never had an issue with either leaving the supplies in a plastic bag - I just threw a handful of black garbage bags in my luggage and just left it in the room for housekeeping.

A suggestion is to ask to speak to some sort of manager at the hotel.  Explain your situation and get a contact name as well as your reservation number.  I used to ask Baxter to advise me of the approximate date of delivery or exact, if they could, and then would call and speak to my contact again to remind them of our conversation and that my delivery should be there on or about such and such a date.  It hopefully avoids the delivery truck showing up with a pallet of supplies to have nobody actually know what's going on because it's been buried somewhere.

I never asked that hubby's supplies be delivered to our room, however, every resort we stayed at did that for us.  I personally would usually write a thank you card to my contact person for their assistance and follow up with an email to the resort/hotel thanking them for their help.

I hope you and your (not so) little ones have a wonderful time.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »