I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The Wait How Long
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wait How Long  (Read 8831 times)
boxman55
Elite Member

« on: February 04, 2007, 08:11:54 AM »

After hearing that a recent new member received a cadaver donation after being on the list for 12 months I am wondering how long members have been waiting and what blood type you are and if you think the wait time is based on your blood type. I am o+ and not on the list yet. Hope to be this month.   Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 09:36:52 AM »

Since blood type O (+,-) is the universal donor (meaning everyone can accept an O blood type organ), we O patients usually have to wait the longest.  But that's not always true.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:45:23 AM »

Waiting for my first transplant I was told there was a 2-3 year wait.  I am also O blood type.

However due to one of many incompetent things of my social worker at the time I was not put on the list in the beginning. :banghead; 

Once a nurse realized this she got me on the list and within 6 months I was getting the transplant. 

I have to go out and finish my workup in Spokane this month and they had told me that the wait time was 2-3 years again. 
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 11:06:06 AM »

what is pissin me off is, when I introduced myself to IHD I mentioned that the transplant surgeon told me "because of my diabetes my life expectency is 4-5 years without a transplant." I started dialysis Aug '06 so according to him I have 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 years left and he still hasn't put me on the list. My so called final test which was a cat scan was on 12/13/06 and my meeting to discuss the results is on the 13th of this month. It is very frustrating. But a little off topic still want to know your wait time and blood type Thanks--Boxman55

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:13:08 AM »

I have been on dialysis for eight years already and been evaluated for transplant once already and turned down due to weight issues.  Now am being reevealuated and they are finding new things to go look at.  Not listed YET!  I find this very frustrating to say the least!
I hate the waiting.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 06:48:14 PM »

I am O+, I was told the wait was average 3 yrs here. I was waiting 2yrs and 14 days when I got the call.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »

I am O+, I was told the wait was average 3 yrs here. I was waiting 2yrs and 14 days when I got the call.
Thanks for the input and congrats how are you feeling?  Boxman55

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 11:39:26 PM »

Different states have different average wait times.  Michigan has about a 5 year wait right now for kidney.  2-3 years for kidney/pancreas.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:02:28 AM »

In Canada the waiting list is a LOT longer.

I am type O+ and I have been waiting since 2001.

But here is the reason why so long. It isn't just blood type that makes a person wait so long on any waiting list. But also (I know some members here can clarify more as I don't know the correct terms) the antigens. I have had many blood transfusions so far and I had a transplant before.

In 1990 I had one after ONLY waiting for 2 months of dialysis.

But because I had one before they said that my next wait on the waiting list would be longer. Boy were they right!! :(

6 years and waiting ... Back in 2004 I heard the wait time was 8 years on average in Ontario Canada..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:11:03 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
shay_pcb

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 12:14:49 AM »

Is it just me, or does it seem like there are an aweful lot of people on dialysis (at least on this thread) that have type O blood?

Anyway, I am type A- and was told that my wait here in Florida would be 2-3 years. I've been on dialysis for 9 months, and I've never had a transplant. I'm not quite on the list yet, but should be any time now! *fingers crossed*
renal30yrs

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 12:42:54 AM »

The answer is waiting time is geting longer and longer for everyone across the world.  From the tme I staeted dialysis the number if patients must have increased 10 fold :-[
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 12:48:18 AM »

The answer is waiting time is geting longer and longer for everyone across the world.  From the tme I staeted dialysis the number if patients must have increased 10 fold :-[
What was the wait time back 30 years ago?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
renal30yrs

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 01:08:54 AM »

Back then organ transplantation was a relatively an exotic procedure.  There weren't too many transplant centers here in the US.  I  remember most blood groups didn't have to wait for more than 3 years. Before the creation of UNOS each surgeon or physician had far greater discretion.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 06:08:57 AM »

Is it just me, or does it seem like there are an aweful lot of people on dialysis (at least on this thread) that have type O blood?

Anyway, I am type A- and was told that my wait here in Florida would be 2-3 years. I've been on dialysis for 9 months, and I've never had a transplant. I'm not quite on the list yet, but should be any time now! *fingers crossed*

Do you know your PRA level?

Luckily for me mine was 0%,  :2thumbsup;   Which i'm shocked b/c everything that can raise your PRA, I have had... Previous transplant, 2 pregnancies, Blood Transfusions... Crazy!

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 08:02:03 AM »

In 2003, when Jenna (O+) began dialysis and was listed here (near Los Angeles) - the wait time was 4 to 6 years.
At her one year transplant evaluation follow-up the wait time for her was still 4 - 6 years.
At the two year follow-up the wait time was 5 - 7 years.
My husband, an economist, wanted an explanation. The coordinator basically said the list is growing exponentially.
In Feb. 2006 we multi-listed Jenna near San Diego. The wait time was 3 - 5 years, so we transferred her primary wait time
(which was 2 yrs. 3 mo.)  there.
She was called as 6th and 2nd back ups for a kidney during the first 6 months there.
We had 2 living donors evaluated in San Diego (2 altruistic women) over 5 months. One was a match. Transplant done 1/16/07.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »

I'm AB+, universal recipient.   I have been on dialysis for about a month now.  I got on the waiting list on Monday, Feb 26th.

I do have people willing to donate their kidneys, but I'll update on how long it takes.  I call my insurance case manager and transplant coordinator almost everyday making sure I'm on the top of the minds.  I think its making the process go faster.

:clap;

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 08:02:53 AM »

Wait time has a lot to do with where the transplant center is.  If it is in an area with lots of people on the list the wait will be longer.  If a person lives in an area with a large list it makes sense to double or multiple list in other areas so the pool of donors there are available to you as well as those at your home center.

Blood type is the other big factor with type A being a very good kind to have.

Someone earlier talked about life expectancy.  That depends on how you take care of yourself on dialysis.  A compliant patient who manages the kidney issue and any others is going to do alot better than someone who regularly overloads or doesn't show up for treatments.  It is kind of sad but when I started someone looked up the statistics and gave me 26 months to live.  That was more than 8 years ago and unfortunately that person is no longer with us. 
shay_pcb

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »

Do you know your PRA level?

Luckily for me mine was 0%,  :2thumbsup;   Which i'm shocked b/c everything that can raise your PRA, I have had... Previous transplant, 2 pregnancies, Blood Transfusions... Crazy!
Sorry it took so long to reply! lol I didn't think anyone would reply to what I said! No one usually does...well, except Angie! lol She replies all the time and makes me feel better!! Anyway, I have NO clue what my PRA level is. I'm still not on the list yet. They wanted some past medical paperwork from my hematologist and other doctors, but my social worker at the dialysis center sent it like 5 times. I don't know where they keep putting it, but it's getting annoying!! My DR finally said yesterday to send it through the mail instead of faxing it and make it so that someone has to sign for it so that we know that they got it. It's ridiculous!! Anyway, I've never been preg nor had a transplant, but I have had 1 transfusion about 3 years ago.
renal30yrs

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 02:55:01 AM »

Your waiting time is affected by anumber of factors 1) your location, 2) ABO blood group, and of course you have had transplant in the past.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »

well when I started this post I wasn't on the list yet. I still am not on the list. So the wait before the wait continues----Boxman55

kelliOR

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »

you have had transplant in the past.

How does this factor into the wait time?

kelli

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 07:14:23 PM »

you have had transplant in the past.

How does this factor into the wait time?

kelli

Usually your PRA levels will go greatly higher. As you know high PRA levels= harder to match

jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 07:15:58 PM »

In the West Coast in Canada the wait time is 7 years...I am O+....and i was evaluated for transplant but at the end it didn't work out...just bad luck
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 07:23:21 PM »

Yes, it is now eight years in southern California for O+. I will be waiting forever!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
sherrile

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 07:32:15 PM »

we are in Colorado.  First time my son got a kidney, we were on the list for 2 weeks.  Of course, he was 4, and it was his
first transplant, and he is type A. 
Now he is 18, his pra is 50, and has been on list for about a year now.
His girlfriend-which he sat next to in dialysis for 4 months, (thats another story) is type A, and she
got her kidney after 1 week on the list. My Son's name has come up a few times, but that PRA continues to
knock him out of play. Sherri
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »