I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Weight Watcher's Points for PD solution?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weight Watcher's Points for PD solution?  (Read 6502 times)
adairpete

Me and Karl

« on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »

I've been doing PD for about 18 months (5 months of hemo before that) and since starting PD I've lost ~20lbs thanks to having more energy and feeling better in general.  However, I've been struggling to lose the last 20lbs I need to and recently have joined Weight Watcher's (I've been to 1 meeting so far).  It didn't cross my mind until after the meeting that the daily dialysis solution is probably some points thanks to the 1.5% or 2.5% dextrose in them.  Does anyone know how many points the solutions are?  I will ask at the next WW meeting, but I was curious if anyone here knew the answer as this is where the dialysis experts are and I'm not too confident that the WW people will know what I'm talking about. 

Thanks for any help!
Carolyn

Diagnosis: distal renal tubular acidosis with medullary sponge kidney
3/4/2010 started hemo via sub-clavian catheter
6/15/2010 listed for kidney (on hold)
8/2/2010 started CAPD
3/20/12 on active wait list for kidney
Restorer

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

Everyone absorbs a different amount of dextrose, depending on how fast you transport and how long you dwell, but here are some estimates in calories:

1.5% (yellow) manual average 23 calories per litre
2.5% (green) manual average 39 calories per litre
4.25% (red) manual average 66 calories per litre

1.5% cycler 33.5 calories per litre
2.5% cycler 56 calories per litre
4.25% 95 calories per litre

Extraneal approximately 90 calories per litre
I'm sure there's a conversion for calories to points, but I think it varies depending on the system you're using. You can ask them how many calories of pure sugar are in one point.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:59 AM »

You could completely ignore pointing the solution and just stick rigidly to your daily points allowance.  It would mean never dipping into the extra weekly allowance, but that could cover the PD aspect. 

Obviously this all depends on whether the Weight Watchers pointing system is the same everywhere: I'm in the UK and we're allowed a daily ProPoints allowance of 26, plus 49 to use during the week on extras if we want/need them. 

Also, I'm on this site because my Blokey has renal failure so I have no restrictions food/fluid wise ... is WW going to be an easy plan to follow for you?  I'll be interested if you can get an answer on the PD solution pointing!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
adairpete

Me and Karl

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »

Thanks for the calories info! I think there is a calculation for points, I just don't know how to yet. My renal dietician didn't know the points for the solution, but suggested I ignore it for now and see how the weight loss goes. If I stay within my alotted points (which is also 26 daily points and 49 allowance points) and don't lose 0.5 to 2 pounds per week I'll need to re-evaluate my calories intake.  I go for my second meeting and weigh-in on Mon and we'll see how it goes. 
So far I like WW because I can still eat what I like but it makes you think about your food choices.  Also, I find myself planning my meals in my head, which usually means I make better choices. I work full-time so eating out or making easy (but bad-for-you) meals is a habit that is hard to break, but necessary.

8/2/2010 started CAPD
Riverwhispering

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »

keep us posted how it goes.  I gave up trying to follow WW and the food exchange diets because for me it was too much stuff to keep track of plus the potassium and phosphorous etc.   This last week I started the Paleo type eating and it seems to be working for weight loss.  Basically it's just eating meats, veggies, fruits and a little white rice and nothing that comes in a box or can.  Nothing processed and I feel better now too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:21:09 AM by Riverwhispering » Logged

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »

adairpete, according to my handy dandy WW point calculator, both the 1.5 and the 2.5 come up at 1 point per liter. This is based on just the calorie counts and the presumption that there is no fat or fiber in our dialytic fluid.

Good luck!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
adairpete

Me and Karl

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »

Thanks, Joe.  I asked at my WW meeting and the leader didn't have the calculator, so that was no help but she'd bring it next week.  I lost 4.4 pounds this wek but at least 2 of that was just pulling off extra fluid. I'm more interested too see how the weight loss goes in a month or so. I'm  lucky to have enough residual kidney function where except for that pesky protein I don't need to restrict my diet all that much (I need to add protein not restrict it). WW, so far, is a good fit. The meetings and weigh-ins help me stay accountable, which is what I need.

8/2/2010 started CAPD
adairpete

Me and Karl

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »

So I did find an answer to the points question.  The new PointsPlus WW system doesn't take into account calories (just carbs, protein, fat, and fiber), so this means the points are about double as the olds points systems since the solution is all carbs (dextrose). 
1.5%=1.6 points per liter
2.5%=2.7 points per liter
4.25%=4.6 points per liter

8/2/2010 started CAPD
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »

Is that a dachshund?  I love weiner dogs.  I lost my dog, Sugar, a year ago, and I still miss her.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »