I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Muscle Cramps
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Muscle Cramps  (Read 18994 times)
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:33 AM »

Had the same the other day - I agree hurts to take a breath.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 06:32:53 AM »

Pickle juice is full of salt, isn't it?  But if it works, do it!  LOL.  I had to take off 4 liters the other day, and I was dreading the cramps.  So I took a couple of TUMS (actually a knock-off clone)  before my treatment.  I usually don't go in that heavy, but drank more fluids than usual because I was doing PD exchanges in training that morning.  Well, the PD exchange got canceled because the toilets over ran with water during the weekend, and it ruined the PD environment. 
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 01:03:30 AM »

I woke up with calf cramps two nights in a row last week.  They were terrible.  And I'm not even a renal patient. Gregory helped me out with the rubbing and showed me how to use my hand as a stirrup to pull my toes back and stretch the calf muscle, which worked.  Tears!  How on earth does he put up with cramps so quietly, I nearly fell out of bed with mine!  You dialysis people are TOUGH. 
The funny part was, the cramp was in my calf, and he kept trying to rub my thigh.  Nice try!  No wonder the rubbing didn't help.  Didn't help me, anyway.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 02:04:47 AM »

I cramp as well sometimes.  One time when I first started dialysis I did not know what was happening at first.  By the time the tech came over it seemed like every muscle in my body was cramping.  It took 4 techs to hold me.  My whole body was just shaking.  I could barely walk for days afterwards.  I have had leg cramps so bad that I thought the muscles were going to tear away from the bone.  The ones that kind of scare me are when I get a cramp in my neck and/or tongue. 

I do have some pills that have Quinine in them that dissolve under your tongue and they have helped a little in the past.  I also always keep some tonic water with Quinine in it and that has helped as well.   
MaryJoe

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 02:45:40 AM »

:rofl;  Well nat, as long as the massage helped someone, I guess it wasn't a complete loss!   ::)

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
dialysis.sucks

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 04:31:35 AM »

I still have this problem. They cant pull over 3 liters out of me per treatment. Even 3.2 causes severe cramps in my stomach and knees (you cant really stretch those out). I get them at home in my left hand whenever I try to play the piano or guitar for any period of time. That part is REALLY frustrating as its a stress reliever for me. Ive been given Qualaquin (how my doctor got that prescribed ill never know - didnt help), Soma, Vicodin (that seems to actually cause cramps), and several other things. I find that sipping on Gatorade during dialysis helps cut down on the end cramps (pickle juice, but better tasting), but I often have to be put directly back on a bag of saline. Fun stuff  :rofl;
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 04:45:49 AM »

That's a lot to take off in one treatment, no wonder you cramp.  Can you drink less?  Ice cubes, smaller glasses, suck lollies, check the labels of your food for salt content in order to eat less salt, etc etc?
I hate to hear about the cramps from guitar.  That would suck.

Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
dialysis.sucks

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 05:13:25 AM »

That's a lot to take off in one treatment, no wonder you cramp.  Can you drink less?  Ice cubes, smaller glasses, suck lollies, check the labels of your food for salt content in order to eat less salt, etc etc?
I hate to hear about the cramps from guitar.  That would suck.
That's kind of the thing. Recently Ive been limiting myself to 20ou per day. So figure 40ou in between treatments, with no other types of liquid "food" like popsicles, etc.. But thats making me cramp more at home. Presumably because the human body uses up more than that in simply running (respiration, etc...) I'm sure I'm getting slightly more than that with all food having a moisture content, but honestly Ive been losing weight going into dialysis like that. But every Oct - Nov I usually end up in the hospital with about 14 kilos sitting on me. Its kind of odd, my nephro cant figure it out, because they have a hard time taking it off in the hospital even with major fluid restriction. The dietician thought it might be everything from low potassium (which Ive only had maybe twice) or low calcium, which isn't really that low. Though 3 is a lot to take off? They have some there getting 5, though they go slightly longer than I do.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 05:15:46 AM »

No you're right, its not so bad.  I've looked around at other people's amounts, and there's other people taking off 3 alright. I pull my head in. 

5 weeks Haemo 2012

M3Riddler

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »

No you're right, its not so bad.  I've looked around at other people's amounts, and there's other people taking off 3 alright. I pull my head in.

3 Liters is a lot to take off. In my opinion too much unless the time is spread out enouph.  The reason cramping occurs is because the bloodstream can only hold .4 liters or 400 cc's ( some people can handle a little more depending on the individual ) of fluid at a given time. When you pull more than off per hour during a treatment, then it will affect the body, one effect is the cramping. Other effects are stress on the veins as well as LVH - Left Ventricular Hypertrophy.  It takes time for the fluid to go from the tissues to the bloodstream and when they pull more than the 400cc' per hour, you are just stressing the body.   To counter this, they give you saline.... thus many people go home weighing more than what they came in at.  Its a never ending circle.
This can be controllled, but due to the restrictions of in center dialysis to meet CMS guidelines, the patients need to speak up for longer, slower dialysis sessions. Or at least provide an additional treatment during the week.

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 08:03:50 AM »

:oops;    :flower;    :clap;

Enjoyed the reading here in this topic, Especially the Pink reaction.  :bow;

In my experiences with pain events like leg cramps, they stem from a shortage of certain minerals.  :Kit n Stik;
Well, dialysis people need to avoid over doing certain minerals.   :secret;
I make efforts to maintain a balanced ratio of minerals, such as is found in mineral rich plants.  :yahoo;
Yes, have had a few dandy leg cramps while in the chair, but is rare. I do recover rapidly once I get home and load up on my supplements to replenish the mineral supply. (Barley grass, Alfalfa root, beet root, and spinach)
So overall my dialysis centers monthly report card reflect 'good' numbers.  :beer1;

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
renalwife

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »

Dear Talker,

I noticed that you included spinach on your mineral intake.  My dietitian told me never to even think about spinach because of the very high potassium content in it.

Perhaps that is because my K numbers are usually high.   
AnnieB

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »

I started having really bad foot cramps the last few weeks - not on D yet. However, I have also been taking statins to control high cholesterol. Unfortunately, one of the possible side effects from statins is cramping, and muscle damage. When I called my doctor, I was told to stop taking the statins and to make an appointment to come in. I gather from this that cramping might not necessarily always be a result of dehydration or side effect from kidney disease - it could actually be a serious side effect from taking statins. If anyone else out there is taking statins and notices muscle pain, cramps and/or muscle weakness, that could be a red flag. You should probably check this out with your doctor, and not assume the cramps are only due to CKD.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »

My husband had to stop taking a statin drug due to high CPK level ?? that causes muscle breakdown (sorry, he can't remember which statin it was). He does not recall getting cramps on it tho. What we have both learned (thru his dialysis center) is to drink a little tonic water that has quinine in it for cramping. I do not have kidney disease (husband does) but I do get bad leg cramps (at nite when sleeping) if I haven't kept myself hydrated. I would usually get up and drink a couple of glasses of water but it would always take about 30 minutes to an hour to find relief. Tonic water works super fast tho. I timed it the other nite and in less than 1 minute it took only half a glass of tonic water to relieve a bad cramp in my calf. That's FAST! I swear, I could almost feel the tonic water "rushing down inside my leg", was kind of weird but it sure works fast. Hate the taste but we keep a bottle of it chilled in the fridge and I pour some in a glass and drink it down like I am drinking a Seven-Up or a soda.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »

Warning: do not ever try to drink tonic water while reading one of BobN's posts. You could end up with tonic water up your nose.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
AnnieB

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »

at least you wouldn't have to worry about nostril cramps though
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »