I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  working on buttonholes...and...whaa? Alcohol prep "rub" instead of sterile pick?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: working on buttonholes...and...whaa? Alcohol prep "rub" instead of sterile pick?  (Read 3228 times)
fearless

« on: February 03, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »

On Monday my tech stuck me in the spot we plan to create buttonholes.  On Wednesday she provided a sterile pick for me to remove the scabs from Monday.  Today (Friday) she said the clinical director had told her they didn't want to "waste" a blunt needle pack just to get a pick.  We rubbed and rubbed and rubbed each scab, trying to pull out the little scab from where it sat just below the level of the skin.

WTF???

This is cheapness that HURTS!  Please somebody tell me how bad this is and why, (damage to the shallow vessel?  infection?)  so when i insist on having a pick on Monday I will have a comeback to the "no" I'm going to get before they relent to my insistence.

GRRRRR!
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »

Man, I do not do bottonholes, but sounds PAINFUL! Ouch.... Maybe others here can tell you something that will help!
Good Luck,
lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »

That does not sound hygeinic to me.  If they were to get the medisystems needles, which the 5/8" needles are, they each come with a plastic pick.  Another justification for getting the needles you want?  You could argue that when you get an infection you will hold the Clinical Director responsible and will take legal action against her.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »

sooooooooooo wrong!!!  with the money that's paid to them FOR YOU, they best be setting you up better than that!!!

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Desert Dancer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »

That sounds to me like an infection waiting to happen. How in the hell are you supposed to make sure you get every last bit of scab? How do you know you're not pushing pieces of scab into the buttonhole rubbing so vigorously? No. No. No.

My supply company changed their supplier for needles a few months ago and the 'pick' that comes with them is utterly useless. I might just as well try to pick my scabs with a child's wooden block. What I've done is save some of the picks from my old needles and I store them in a container full of Alcavis. Alcavis is the disinfectant used for catheters; it's a much stronger form of ExSept. That way I can keep them and use them over and over. I change out the Alcavis once a week.

I second Amanda. I'd definitely let them know they're going to be held liable if you get an infection and lose your access, or worse. There's no way this method is 'best practices'.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
JeanieSpokane

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »

My center gets the blunts with the plastic picks on them.  I also just started my buttonholes (around Sept 2011).  I have had to be aggressively proactive in my care because they don't have a lot of buttonhole clients.  I LOVE buttonholes.  Once established, they are virtually painless.  I'm all for that.  But I have had to request having the same tech over and over - and I've threatened to walk out and just not do dialysis when they had a tech I didn't trust.  Now, finally, they are giving me the same tech.  And she is following my request to use the "touch cannulation" method (holding the needle behind the wings and letting the buttonhole be the guide.  Today was the first day and the needles went in like I was made of soft butter.  Amazing!!!  Before, the techs were fishing and fishing and fishing - driving me crazy!  Also - i suggested that they pull the needles back out just a teense - and then I won't get that little dip where the scab can be hard to get at.  The suggestion to save picks is a good one I think.  I agree with this thread - our insurance pays a LOT of money for our treatments.  Mine is avg $4,000 a day.  You think they can throw in a plastic pick.

Jeanie
Started dialysis 9/30/2009
Started buttonhole 5/5/2011
Go to garage sales, pile stuff from garage sales to make room for more stuff from garage sales, read books (from garage sales); plan to return same to any garage sale of my choice all at once.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:56:40 AM »

Have you ever approached your clinic about allowing you to cannulate yourself?  It might be worth it if you are one of the only buttonhole clients they have.

My center gets the blunts with the plastic picks on them.  I also just started my buttonholes (around Sept 2011).  I have had to be aggressively proactive in my care because they don't have a lot of buttonhole clients.  I LOVE buttonholes.  Once established, they are virtually painless.  I'm all for that.  But I have had to request having the same tech over and over - and I've threatened to walk out and just not do dialysis when they had a tech I didn't trust.  Now, finally, they are giving me the same tech.  And she is following my request to use the "touch cannulation" method (holding the needle behind the wings and letting the buttonhole be the guide.  Today was the first day and the needles went in like I was made of soft butter.  Amazing!!!  Before, the techs were fishing and fishing and fishing - driving me crazy!  Also - i suggested that they pull the needles back out just a teense - and then I won't get that little dip where the scab can be hard to get at.  The suggestion to save picks is a good one I think.  I agree with this thread - our insurance pays a LOT of money for our treatments.  Mine is avg $4,000 a day.  You think they can throw in a plastic pick.
Dannyboy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:30:41 AM »

OMG.  What a bunch of cheapskates....    A dual pack of blunts with 'steri-picks' can be bought retail on the internet for less than $3.00 each (U.S.) in a box of 100.    A Center buying in bulk would likely pay far less.   

So these idiots would rather spend staff $$$ time removing a scab without a pick?   I understand before my time on Dialysis it was common to use a sterile tweezers for this duty.

Care to disclose the affiliation of your Center??  (i.e. Davita or ??) 

----Dan

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »

What is the cost of dealing with an inection vs. sterile picks?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
fearless

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »

THANK YOU ALL! for saying exactly what I was thinking: this is not best practice and increases infection risk PLUS it's NOT GOOD to "scrub" at the buttonhole site, especially when your vein is right under the surface: this could be damaging to the blood vessel!!!  Why did I allow this to happen even ONCE!?

I've had it with these cheapskates at Fresenius.  That company earned over a BILLION dollars in profit last year, but they want our flesh to suffer for a little extra money in executives' and investors' pockets.  No one should be making money off of money that's invested in someone being SICK!

Thank you all so much for the support you give.  No one in my immediate family or social circle has ever even known someone on dialysis, and they can give me love, but can never know the S--T we have to deal first hand.
I'm trying to stay grateful, and I truly truly am...but if dialysis is given to us, why can't it be given with compassion and not with a dose of "you're helpless and dependent on me, so I don't need to respect you"

and hey, PS: :guitar:
I love you all

fearless

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »

JeanieSpokane,

I am curious about you starting buttonholes way back in Sept. 2011, and only now using them for the first time as buttonholes?  (maybe I'm not getting this right)  I've been told it should only take a few weeks or a month.  After only 3 sessions in the same spot I'm already bleeding less when they pull the needles.
Anyway, so psyched for you that you have the needles go in so easily now!
JeanieSpokane

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »

continued to Fearless.

Well, criminy - I don't know where my post went.  Wanted to say I use Fresenius too and my center has the blunts with plastic picks.  Still working on the bleeding problem. 

Jeanie
Started dialysis 9/30/2009
Started buttonhole 5/5/2011
Go to garage sales, pile stuff from garage sales to make room for more stuff from garage sales, read books (from garage sales); plan to return same to any garage sale of my choice all at once.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »