I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 11:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Fistula Problems
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Problems  (Read 3155 times)
debral

« on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, but my mother has been on the NXstage machine for about 3 years. Everything was going well, until she had to have an Esophagectomy back in September. She is finally feeling better after the surgery. However, the past couple of months her fistula has been bleeding quite a lot. It actually leaks from the needle site, during treatment and bleeds a lot when the needle comes out.  So much, so, that we are thinking, she is not going to be able to dialyze at home anymore. She has had numerous ballooning procedures of her fistula. We have talked to top vascular surgeons. ( we live in NYC.) The fistula works fine, the  bleeding seems to be caused by her thin skin. Anyone have any advice or similar experiences? We are at our wits end!!

Thanks so much for your input!!
Debra
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »

Hi, Debral!

While I don't have any advice for you I did want to acknowledge your post; I am sure there are others here who will be able to give you the benefit of their experience.

When you have a moment, pop over to the 'Introduce yourself' section and tell us a little about yourself and your situation so you can receive a proper welcome!  :welcomesign;

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »

Hey Debra!  So glad you came here.  Can I ask you if your mother is on any kind of blood thinners?  My hubby is and he does bleed somewhat at the point of entry.  Not really knowing of your mothers situation, but whoever is cannulating her could put a thick gauze over the needle and tape it down as tight as they can but not to leave her uncomfortable.  It will stop the bleeding somewhat and allow the blood to flow in the veins.

But yes, we have that problem and my neph says its due to blood thinner he is on.  Also, have someone feel (exterially) for the fluttering in her Venous& Arterial.  If they still feel it then that is a good sign.  Means her fistula is fine.  More than likely, if she is taking blood thinners, that is the culprit. But its better than have thick blood that clots everytime.

Just tell her to place gauze over the entries of both needles and see if that helps.  She might still have seepage, but not as bad.

I know hubby has to hold gauze alot longer after removeal too, so its really a no win situation, just as long as she is getting good dialysis!
Let us know what you find out, ok?

Good Luck & Welcome to IHD,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »

Yes, please go introduce yourself.  I'm so glad you found us.

Has anyone suggested doing something different with her heparin?

M3Riddler

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, but my mother has been on the NXstage machine for about 3 years. Everything was going well, until she had to have an Esophagectomy back in September. She is finally feeling better after the surgery. However, the past couple of months her fistula has been bleeding quite a lot. It actually leaks from the needle site, during treatment and bleeds a lot when the needle comes out.  So much, so, that we are thinking, she is not going to be able to dialyze at home anymore. She has had numerous ballooning procedures of her fistula. We have talked to top vascular surgeons. ( we live in NYC.) The fistula works fine, the  bleeding seems to be caused by her thin skin. Anyone have any advice or similar experiences? We are at our wits end!!

Thanks so much for your input!!
Debra

Debra,

Does your mother use buttonholes?  If not, you may want her to ask her nephrologist about starting a pair. If she is using them, you may want to consider a new buttonhole site.

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook