I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 11:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Hobbies and stuff
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hobbies and stuff  (Read 76608 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2007, 12:39:07 AM »

Can I ask what is tole painting?
angellady07

« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »

Tole painting is decorative painting on wood or metal objects.The designs can be ornate or simple.After my class maybe I'll share my masterpieces with all of you.LOL.Thanks for the question.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2007, 09:47:15 AM »

Tole painting is decorative painting on wood or metal objects.The designs can be ornate or simple.After my class maybe I'll share my masterpieces with all of you.LOL.Thanks for the question.

I can do a little tole painting, but what I really love are the old trays, I have a collection of them. Here's an example of one:

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angellady07

« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2007, 11:18:41 AM »

Beautiful piece Karol.Now that is a masterpiece!Thanks for sharing.I'm looking forward to my class.
tweetykiss

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2007, 12:09:12 PM »

I have a lot of admiration for all of you who can make beautiful pieces of art and those teeny tiny planes, cars, and trains and even a teeny tiny dialysis machine....they are all very cute......to top it off being a dialysis patient and yet you are very motivated says it all.......you just keep on going and that is great....

Now I don't even have CKD and yet I  have no talent.....lol.......I know I better get my lazy fat self to action and do something like even cleaning......

Keep up the great job all of you......
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:11:56 PM by tweetykiss » Logged

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2007, 04:38:54 AM »

to top it off being a dialysis patient and yet you are very motivated says it all.......you just keep on going and that is great....
Yes, I really admired this too. I've had a pre-emptive transplant, and therefore not been subjected to the stress of dialysis, and I love to see people using their time so productively and making the most of such a crap situation. You're all an inspiration.
tweetykiss

« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2007, 07:14:38 AM »

to top it off being a dialysis patient and yet you are very motivated says it all.......you just keep on going and that is great....
Yes, I really admired this too. I've had a pre-emptive transplant, and therefore not been subjected to the stress of dialysis, and I love to see people using their time so productively and making the most of such a crap situation. You're all an inspiration.

I have read this whole thread and I have to admit I am a little curious about you if you have any hobbies and interests since you never mentioned if you do or not.....what do you like to do or if you just chill and get R&R, that is cool too, but I know I am somewhat curious if it is that or if you have talents you are not telling us about....lol...... :)

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2007, 04:02:45 PM »

Hi Tweety

Thanks for your interest! I thought I had posted in this thread about my interests? Perhaps it was in a different thread, I'm too lazy to look.  :)

My main interest is dogs. When I was much healthier, I used to do obedience training with my bull terriers. I will probably go back to it one day, but maybe not for a long time as the two bullies I currently have are getting on in age.

I like to read (just about anything) and write - I used to write fictional stories as a kid, huge 200 page things, but these days I'm more likely to write articles. These are usually just for newsletters for my dog clubs, and things like that, but I have been published in BARKS (the publication of the Bull Terrier Club of America) and Fully Bully magazine (an American magazine dedicated to the bull and terrier breeds). Writing is probably my best talent.

I'm also a huge fan of music. Heavy metal and thrash metal from the 80's and 90's is my main thing, but I also like punk and a wide range of other stuff, even some classical. I also play the organ, to a degree anyway, I took formal lessons from the age of 10 - 15 (I'm now 32).
foundry37

« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2007, 06:40:58 PM »

I'm also a huge fan of music. Heavy metal and thrash metal from the 80's and 90's is my main thing, but I also like punk and a wide range of other stuff, even some classical. I also play the organ, to a degree anyway, I took formal lessons from the age of 10 - 15 (I'm now 32).
Another metal fan awesome!
My main pastime is drumming and it has been my reason for breathing since I was a kid. With that I am also a obsessed music and movie collector. Listen to all types of music (except new country and rap)  metal (old school thrash,doom,stoner),punk(NYHC,Oi!)classic rock, garage,jazz,old soul,ska,...the list goes on. Movie wise mainly horror/cult/b-movies. My DVD collection puts Netflix to shame a friend once said. I am basically a 14yo kid in a 42 yo body.

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
    --Elvin Jones  (1927-2004)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2007, 08:53:24 PM »

I can do a little tole painting, but what I really love are the old trays, I have a collection of them. Here's an example of one:

Very nice work Karol.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2007, 10:12:33 PM »

I am basically a 14yo kid in a 42 yo body.

Ha ha, this is a good thing. I love nothing more than a good live metal gig coming to town  :2thumbsup; My husband is 5 years older than me, and he is still much the same, also. You're only the age you feel you are!
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2007, 02:02:34 AM »

That's great work okarol !

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
tweetykiss

« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2007, 09:42:26 AM »

Hi Cycobully,

Thanks for answering my questions.....yeah I think somewhere else you did post dog obedience but I am glad you said it again over here......I know that must be interesting since it is very much a challenge.....I love the little dogs but I am not too crazy about the big ones......I love those dog commercials since they are just so precious.......the little ones are just too cute.......I am not a cat person at all though unless they are still little kittens.......

It is great you write for a living now.....I use to write too but nowhere near the extent of what you do......mine is all nonsensical stuff......I did once start a thriller novel but come to think of it the reason for that may have been is that an author friend of mine was very persuasive about it and kept telling me I can write....but I have not done anything with it in over a year and it is most likely a pie in the sky business.......I may just hand over my initial work to him and let him do what he pleases and not ask for any credit on it.....

I am glad you have very constructive ways to occupy your time......with the little free time I have, I am mostly as what I have stated in other threads what I am really doing for my husband and then I spend the rest of my free time on the message boards......I also have to do a lot of housework which is a big load.....then I like my TV programs....not a lot of stuff I watch but very soon, Big Brother will be on and I may get the feeds for that.....I don't know yet.....but that show will keep me busy and now Age of Love is on which I always watch........

I use to do some photography but I haven't in a long time since memory cards are very expensive......and then I don't have much room on this puter to store them but I need to make some prints one day....those photo cards are very expensive too not to mention the ink for it......ha ha......I want to get back into PSP but once again there is the issue of puter storage.......ha ha.......

I haven't been able to get into music lately and in fact, I don't even listen to my ipod but I do play music in the car to make the drive not so long.....

I agree that these guys here do great work on their miniatures.......that takes patience and talent.....

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2007, 05:43:40 PM »

It is great you write for a living now.....

Oh, I must have given the wrong impression there. I do not write for a living, I've never been paid for my articles.

Your life sounds so busy, tweetykiss, it's a wonder you have any time for yourself! I too like to play my music in the car to make the drive more tolerable, especially over long distances.
tweetykiss

« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2007, 10:03:23 PM »

It is great you write for a living now.....

Oh, I must have given the wrong impression there. I do not write for a living, I've never been paid for my articles.

Your life sounds so busy, tweetykiss, it's a wonder you have any time for yourself! I too like to play my music in the car to make the drive more tolerable, especially over long distances.

You didn't give the wrong impression......I assumed it and slam on me......sorry....in fact you didn't say anything about making money from your writing.....you said you are published and I took that out of context....duh Tweety    ::)   

Yeah I guess you can say I am busy being a caregiver for my husband and I take gratification in it........I do take time for myself like checking emails and posting on forums and going to chat to talk to my friends......you should come to chat too since I know you are very nice and an interesting person....all of us have fun in there.....  :grouphug;

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2007, 05:09:05 AM »

I crochet and read obsessively (as much as working full-time and having a high maintenance child will let me, anyway). I have also discovered lately that I really enjoy cooking, so I usually will spend a good portion of Sunday afternoons making dinners for the week so I don't have to rush it and can really enjoy the process.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2007, 05:20:19 AM »

you should come to chat too since I know you are very nice and an interesting person....all of us have fun in there.....  :grouphug;

Oh, I didn't even realise this forum had chat. I'll make sure to pop in one day! Is there a common time that people are there? (I'll need to convert that into my local time)

Cheers :)
tweetykiss

« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2007, 07:56:01 AM »

you should come to chat too since I know you are very nice and an interesting person....all of us have fun in there.....  :grouphug;

Oh, I didn't even realise this forum had chat. I'll make sure to pop in one day! Is there a common time that people are there? (I'll need to convert that into my local time)

Cheers :)

Yes there is a chatroom here and just go to the bottom and it says not only who all is there but hit where it says chat and your screen changes and you are there.....we are always there in the late evenings USA time.......look forward to seeing you..... :grouphug;

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »

which is anytime from 9am here in oz  :ausflag; just keep checking
hope you can drop in one day
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 04:04:11 PM by charee » Logged

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2007, 10:45:50 PM »

Thanks Charee and Tweety. I'll make a point of dropping in some time. Sounds fun!
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »

The latest addition to my "fleet".

1/350th scale Japanese battleship Musashi (this is the one that I splattered blood on-see my post "bleeding problem" in the general dialysis section).

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
foundry37

« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2007, 06:52:35 PM »

That is a awesome piece of work! Do you work on this during treatments?  I seem to set off alarms whenever I move my hand to change the channel when I am in the chair.

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
    --Elvin Jones  (1927-2004)
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2007, 01:42:47 AM »

I finally finished & flew my Decathlon (the one pictured earlier in the post). All thats left now is to cut out the cowling. The plane flies great!! Hard to tell from the picture, but thats an 80 inch wingspan.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2007, 09:02:23 AM »

That's a beauty JP! You're right, it's hard to imagine the size - maybe post a photo of you holding it? Looks like lots of fun! Great job!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2007, 02:25:23 PM »

Amazing work Adam and JoePaul, i cant even put batteries in the remote :P   Keep up the great work  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »