I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:03:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  phosphate binders
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: phosphate binders  (Read 12047 times)
jadey

« on: January 02, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »

My eating habits are quite sporadic. I tend to have many "meals" a day.. due to multiple snacking/coffee breaks. My nurse and dietician told me to just take 3 apocals per meal. I asked them what if I have a coffee/small snack inbetween and they said I don't need binders for that. Reading this board has made me think otherwise..

I'm pretty sure it would be best that I take a binder every time I put something in my mouth. My phos levels have been high and still is pretty high. They keep thinking it's my diet..but it's not! I don't eat anything dairy..really..I'm lactose intolerant anyway.. and I hate whole wheat :)

Can you take too many binders?? I've been taking 1 binder per coffee because I use lots of half and half.

I've been asking them over and over about the mechanism of apo-cal.. how long is it effective for.. but NO ONE can give me the answer!!

Any ideas??

Nov 5, 2011 - diagnosed with ESRD, unknown cause
Nov 14, 2011 - PD catheter insert
Nov 15, 2011 - Started PD
Oct 11, 2012 - received a kidney from my mom, 3/6 match
-kidney wasn't filtering properly. 2nd surgery 4 days later to re-position kidney. Accident happened and kidney got damaged. Internally bleed 1.5 L and needed a transfusion. 3rd surgery to sew up the damaged kidney.
-anaphylactic shock to thymoglobulin
-ATN and rejection
-sleepy kidney waiting to recover

a start of a new life, a new journey
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »

jadey, my dietitian told me that I couldn't overdose on binders. I typically take two with breakfast, two with lunch and 4 at dinner. In addition, if I have a snack in the morning or afternoon, I toss one in then too. I've just gone to this schedule and we'll see how my labs come out on the 12th. More to come...

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »

Not familiar with apa-cal. But J takes 2 phoslo & 2 Renevella with 3 meals. He also takes a Renvella with snacks. His last labs showed Phos at 4.7.  He use to be real high too.

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:58:37 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »

If it is a calcium based binder and given the name, it sounds as if it is, you can take too many.  If the phosphate doesn't bind with all of the binder you can elevate your calcium.  I tend to guage mine by whether it is a high phosphate snack or not.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Willis

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »

If it is a calcium based binder and given the name, it sounds as if it is, you can take too many.  If the phosphate doesn't bind with all of the binder you can elevate your calcium.  I tend to guage mine by whether it is a high phosphate snack or not.
:thumbup;

Annig83

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »

What else are you eating?  Are you aware of all foods that have high phosphorus?... I admit that sometimes I ignore my dieticians' advisements and eat what I want...I am a diary-a-holic!  My phosphorus has been stable and I take 6 pills of Renagel a day.  I have a link on foods and high levels of phosphorus listed below if you want to look?  If your levels continue to be high I would suggest talking to your Nephrologist again and let them know what you've been eating daily... maybe make a food journal to show them that you've been sticking to a low-phosphorus diet??  It couldn't hurt.  Let us know what's up! :)  Good luck.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
jadey

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »

my usual foods at home

egg
peanut butter (1 tsp)
grilled chicken breast
steak
white rice
noodles
soup (usually made with pork bones or chicken bones)
I sometimes eat pork
tofu
white bread

For veggies I usually have: chinese brocolli, lettuce, basically all chinese vegetables... I don't eat that much veggies tbh..

Fruits I have oranges, bananas, grapes

-kidney wasn't filtering properly. 2nd surgery 4 days later to re-position kidney. Accident happened and kidney got damaged. Internally bleed 1.5 L and needed a transfusion. 3rd surgery to sew up the damaged kidney.
-ATN and rejection

Annig83

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »

That's a pretty good list...
Pork is moderately high in phosphorus, and depending on how much you eat (with soup, bacon, or anyother pork product), you may be spiking...especially if you eat before a blood draw. My dietician said tofu is alright in moderation through out the week.  I've been having an aversion to meat lately so I eat more vegetarian than not.  I know this is on phosphorus, but is your potassium high too?  Oranges and bananas have higher levels of it... I assume you don't eat an entire bunch of bananas in one day  ;D
BTW veggies are great!! They have little to no phosphorus in them at all!!!

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
jadey

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »

Since I am on PD, they want me to eat more potassium.

I forgot to add that I drink coffee regularly..usually 1-2 cups a day with half and half (mmm)

My PD tends to take out my albumin as well so they want me to eat more protein..which I find so hard. meat is so difficult to eat when it's not salted :(

-ATN and rejection

Restorer

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:39:27 PM »

It's probably better to put some salt on the meat than not eat it at all, if your protein is low, especially if you're on PD and you don't have such strict fluid restrictions.

I take 4 Renvela with each meal, but I modulate it based on how much I'm eating, how much phosphorus I estimate what I'm eating has, and so on. Based on things I've read (including something Zach posted a while ago), I estimate that one Renvela binds about 100 mg of phosphorus. Apo-cal doesn't bind quite as much, but as you adjust things you can learn what you need to do.

If you have a small snack, maybe you can take one binder, and maybe one with the coffee if you use more than, say, 2 ounces of half and half (1 oz if you're using fat-free "half and half"). And so on - learn how much phosphorus the food you eat have in relation to each other, and adjust your binders accordingly.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
janetetal

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »

I'm a newbie to all of this. I do have high potassium so bananas and oranges are out. Is low K a function of dialysis? thanks

Take care

Deb
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 07:59:04 AM »

Janetal, not sure what you meanby your question.  Potassium is normally regulated by the kidneys, so when they are damaged, this regulation is lost.  Depending on your underlying disease and also how much residual renal function you have left determines how much is cleared.  Some damaged kidneys will even leak potassium, but generally speaking, potassium is retained.  PD clears it fairly efficiently, and you may not have to restrict potassium-rich foods so rigorously, or not at all, particularly if you still have residual renal function.  NxStage also tends to clear it better than three times a week dialysis, because of the frequency of doing it also because of the characteristics of the dialysate used.  Use your lab. Results to determine what you can get away with and also speak to your dietician to get her recommendations.  Hopefully yourdietician will tailor it to your needs and not give you generic recommendations.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
janetetal

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 08:05:03 AM »

Thanks for the info. The dietician hasn't been helpful yet once I told her I needed low K and low carb for diabetes. She didn't seem to know much about the low k diet, just handed me the list off the internet and let it go at that.

Take care.

Deb
Rain

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »

Janetetal,

Find a dietitian that is familiar with low K diets.  Find a renal dietitian ask at your nephrology client for a renal dietitian.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Hazmat35

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

My Neph prescribed me 240 tablets of Renvela for a month.  So, that is 2 tablets 4 times per day. 

I 2 pills everytime I eat; no matter what it is, even if it is small.  I found that I was "snacking" once or twice a day and was running out of pills at the end of the month. 

So my Neph changed the Rx and now I get 360 pills per month and usually have extras left over.  My Phosphorus the last two months has dropped from 5.5 to 3.4!!!!!!!!!

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

I used to follow you don't need binders for snacks but I just recently started taking them do to hi fos and it really dropped it.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 02:44:35 AM »

I've replaced binders with TUMS or store brand TUMS.  My labs have all been good since I switched, and they cost less than binders.  They also taste a lot better. :waving;
jessicalynn42

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »

Yea i dont like them much. The problem i have is figuring out how many for what food. My phosphate had been ove 7 for a very long time it never been lower. Last month they started me a a drug called sensipar my level dropped to 4.9. They were  :bandance; but i also now consider my binders and another food group like grain and fruits. But thy draw  on tuesday next week and we will see where it ends up.

fistula installed 2010
incenter hemodialysis 2010
No catherder ever
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:14:03 AM »

I've replaced binders with TUMS or store brand TUMS.  My labs have all been good since I switched, and they cost less than binders.  They also taste a lot better. :waving;

I havent had Tums in 13 years. And every month it is the same thing. The nurses make me want to punch them out. HOW MANY TIMES do I have to tell them NO I DO NOT Take tums!! Grr. My calcium runs high about 10.0-10.2. My phos is usually below 5.5.

Every month they are asking me if I take tums because my calcium is high!

grr.
Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Sam.maidment2012

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:05 AM »

Looking at some peoples phosphate levels, I think myself lucky (mines at 2.7) but my dietitian still badgering me to take binders! I have such trouble at remembering, I take three for breakfast three for lunch three for dinner(obviously when i remember), but i still cant resist the crisps and choc, they are my MASSIVE weakness especially the crisps. I have started on those monster Ripper drinks too! I don't know the health or non benefits, I have been having atleast 4 a week, but only tend to have them on dialysis days.   

Anybody else struggle taking these binders?

Sam Maidment
From UK
2011 Diagnosed with End stage renal Failure (Formal diagnosis Alport's Syndrome) at the age of 21
April 2011 - August 2012 PD dialysis both day exchange and over night machine
September 2012 - In center hemodialysis since late 2012 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
I'm still here!!  Alive and kicking ass. :-)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »

Yea i dint like them much. The problem i have is figuring out how many for what food. My phosphate had been Ive 7 for a very long time it never been lower. Last month they started me a a drug called sensipar my level dropped to 4.9. They were  :bandance; but i also now consider my binders and another food group like grain and fruits. But thy draw  on tuesday next week and we will see where it ends up.

sensipar is for high pth which has to do with the parathyroid and too much calcium in the system. using tums for a phos binder can raise calcium levels.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »