I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  PD Patients: How do you do it for traveling?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD Patients: How do you do it for traveling?  (Read 2601 times)
CatonTheRoof

« on: July 02, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »

Is it easy for you guys in the States and elsewhere to travel abroad or simply to another city?     Fresenius in my country seems to create a mess out of everything.

First, here in this country the PD machines used look like from the cold war era.   Has anyone seen "War of the Worlds" ?   well, the machine looks like one of those monster tripods the alien has.    It's virtually impossible to move that thing with you by airplane (it totally weight being probably around 100 pounds)

Second,  burocracy seems to be awful.   My unit told me to give them a call 10 befores my trip telling them the address where I would stay (I'm traveling to a city within my country)  now they turn out to tell me that they might not be able to send me bags for manual because I didn't send them a paper card.  Wtf!
kickingandscreaming
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »

To be honest, I've only been on PD since January and I have yet to travel anywhere.  Our machines weigh "only" 27 lbs. but that's 27 lbs that I don't feel like hauling to and from my car or on plane.  So I've kind of given up the idea of traveling.  Supposedly, in the US, they will deliver bags of fluid to your destination with enough notice.  But you have to haul the machine yourself or do manual PD while away.  My nephrologist said I could skip a day of PD and go away for the weekend.  Haven't taken her up on that yet.

Diagnosed with Stage 2 ESRD 2009
Pneumonia 11/15
Began Hemo 11/15 @6%
Began PD 1/16 (manual)
Began PD (Cycler) 5/16
beckums70

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »

I've done quite a bit of traveling with the Homechoice pro machine.  I'm not sure how much it weighs, but I'm guessing about 30 pounds or so.  It came in a case like a suitcase, but I find it's easier to carry without it.  When I took a trip to Colorado a few years back I had them deliver a weeks' worth boxes of dialysis solution to my hotel.  I only brought my machine (you can have it checked on the plane) and my cassettes.  Baxter delivered my Alcavis, Except and the solution ahead of time so when I got to the hotel it was already there.  We were there for 6 days.  I ordered 5 boxes of solution and skipped one day.  It worked out really well and was quite easy for me.  I'd recommend getting a cart with wheels to carry the machine into and out of the airport, and do not check it with other luggage because if your luggage is lost you will not be able to get your machine until it's found.  With certain airlines (like Southwest) you get priority boarding if you are boarding with a medical device so that gives you time to get your machine on board and get it checked before everyone else starts boarding. 

I have also traveled for lots of weekend getaways and several camping trips with my son.  It can be a hassle, but I find it well worth the effort to continue to live my life the way I want to.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 07:24:20 AM »

On PD, I haven't yet 'traveled' other than spending a few nights at Daughters house almost 100 miles from our home.  Of course I drive.  Load my Cycler and whatever boxes of solution PITA carrying heavy boxes out to the truck then into her house.  But I keeps me from skipping treatment.

Some day I will take a farther trip.   Depending on how, drive or fly, I will figure it out then.   A little bit of pre-planning should make a big difference.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 07:38:51 AM »

With certain airlines (like Southwest) you get priority boarding if you are boarding with a medical device so that gives you time to get your machine on board and get it checked before everyone else starts boarding. 
There are FAA regulations for medical equipment that benefit PD patients.

- The machine cannot be counted against your carry-on allowance
- The airline cannot charge a baggage fee for the machine or luggage that exclusively contains medical supplies
- The airline is liable for the full cost of the machine - normal "lost luggage liability limits" do not apply

I flew on many different airlines when on PD and found every one of them to allowed me to get on with the pre-boarding group when I explained my situation.  I never had any of them take me up on my offer to show them the catheter.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:41:54 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »