I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Getting overheated
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting overheated  (Read 4082 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: January 30, 2007, 02:21:21 PM »

I seem to have a problem at night and can't figure out what causes it, so wondered if anyone else has this. I live in the U.K. so our winters are fairly cold!. During the day i have no problem with sitting in front of the fire , plenty woolies on and getting nice and warm, but come night time its more of a nightmare! I have found i cant stand to be under a duvet , just a cotton sheet ,as i feel as if i'm red-hot, i dont sweat , but i've noticed that if i get anywhere near warmish , the symptoms for 'restless legs ' goes all through my body.Unless i'm lay there shivering or cold to say the least, i just cant settle. Is it just me ? ???

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »

Ya I get some of that. I get RLS pretty bad. I just can't lay there and I toss off the covers and jump out of bed all frustrated. I only sleep for an hour or 2 at a time. And it seems the bed irritates me but it is just my legs being restless and me being aggrivated.

I would love to have the sleep I used to have..  :-[

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »

Man sorry to hear about the sleep problems. I don't want to rub it in but give me 3 blankets (1) being down,and flannel sheets and you can't get me out of bed. It is going to be 10 degrees tonight Boxman55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »

I use to be able to snuggle into coves and sleep like a baby.  That was years ago.  Now my feet get HOT and they are hanging out and I wake up in a sweat.   :P

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:52:57 PM »

Try sleeping naked, hen you can lay under covers you will be cold.  :lol;  :P

Have you asked your dr about Requip for RLS? Or maybe some other type of meds for RLS?

Good luck.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:45:20 PM »

Kickstart, are you diabetic?  When my sugar is out of whack, I get night sweats, and wake up in a tangle of sheets, soaking wet.  If my sugar is good, I don't get sweaty.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:26:17 AM »

Thanks guys , in answer ,no im not diabetic. I take tablets for RLS which work really well. I dont actually sweat at night , dont actually feel really hot to the touch (not running a temp). I just know as soon as i get warm , i cant sleep and the feeling you get with RLS goes all through my body (my arms jump as well) . I am on some sleeping tabs at moment to try and help me settle, but again it all comes back to being  to hot.Unless im lay shivering cold i cant sleep!  :-\

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
AlasdairUK

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 03:39:28 AM »

Hi Kickstart,

I find when my phosphate is high that I feel jumpy. Are your bloods as normal as can be?

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
billable

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:21:32 AM »

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pdf%2F7907%2F7907crc.pdf

I printed this out and took to my wife's doctor.  She is now on gabapentin and takes tylenol #3 at night.  Worked for her.  She was actually jerking while she was awake, not just at night.

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »

Sorry guys , but feel you are missing the point. My RSL is well under control , tablets work great. Its the 'heat' thing at night im having problems with, i just cant stand to be warm, yes it does make my RSL play up , but i find that if i stay cool ,eg no covers over me i dont get RSL at all. Trouble is i go to bed and freeze every night! . Just wondered if anyone else had same problem? During day im fine, if im really tired i can go to bed and get under the duvet with no effects, its always at night this starts!.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:37:41 PM »

Like I said, sleep naked. You should have no problem sleeping under a blanket and over heating.

Otherwise Idunno what to tell you but tell your doctor.

MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 02:58:42 PM »

Hi Kickstart,

I live in Scotland and I suffer very similar symptoms to you.  I am on HD and the summer is a nightmare for me.  As soon as any part of my body touches another part at night in bed, I am instantly covered in a sheen of sweat on the areas that are touching.  Sometimes I am fine on a cold night but quite often especially after dialysis my body temp fluctuates quite a lot and sometimes I have to strip off to cool and at other times, I have to put on extra clothes to keep warm. I have no explanation for it but that's just the way it is.

SCOTLAND NO.1
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 12:22:19 PM »

Hi Kickstart -
Your symptoms sound very similar to the hot flashes of pre-menopausal women.
I thought I was going crazy til I figured out what it was. It only happened at night
(then later was happening during the day as well.) Not sure if this is what you are
experiencing, but it might be related, depending on how old you are.

I also found this, which may not he helpful as you said the RLS is under control:
RLS is a fairly common problem. It affects 20 percent of all pregnant women and 15 percent of all Americans over the age of 50. RLS frequently puts in a brief appearance during menopause, so the figures may be higher among menopausal women, but is most likely to bother women after menopause. RLS is both a movement and a sleep disorder, and tends to run in families.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »

Hi Okarol, nope its not the menopause , good thought though but beat you to it ! ,had the hormome tests done to see if that was the problem right at the start. Probably just another one of those unexplained side effects of kidney failure !

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 02:16:19 PM »

Maybe a fan on low blowing on you with a light sheet over you?

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 07:12:28 PM »

Nobody commented on the sleeping naked thing.. ii thought it was great advice... :(

shay_pcb

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 07:21:30 PM »

I seem to have a problem at night and can't figure out what causes it, so wondered if anyone else has this. I live in the U.K. so our winters are fairly cold!. During the day i have no problem with sitting in front of the fire , plenty woolies on and getting nice and warm, but come night time its more of a nightmare! I have found i cant stand to be under a duvet , just a cotton sheet ,as i feel as if i'm red-hot, i dont sweat , but i've noticed that if i get anywhere near warmish , the symptoms for 'restless legs ' goes all through my body.Unless i'm lay there shivering or cold to say the least, i just cant settle. Is it just me ? ???
I feel exactly the same! I freeze my fiance at night! I live in Florida, so it's not really that cold here, but when we sleep with the AC on, it FREEZES us!! lol That's when I sleep the best!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »