I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Exercise
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exercise  (Read 29959 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »

Where are you from twirl?

If I understood your post right you don't know what potato chips are...and no... pork and beans are not eaten with fried eggs.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »

texas is my home
I did not realize you where from England
but on the British staion on You Are What You Eat it shows plates with fried eggs and pork and beans on the same plate
do you eat that in England
I mean, it looks good to me----- I'd eat it
I do know what potato chips are---- but they look different------ crisps?
they only choose people who eat unhealthy  and they all have pork and beans with fried eggs

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »

I've seen that show.  They follow them around for a week, recording what they ate - then reproduce the week's worth of meals and show it to them all at once.  Scary - not a veggie in sight!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 07:38:47 PM »

I ride my exercise bike every day.  I'm now up to 80 minutes a day, 10 minutes at a time.  It's the only way I can lose weight as my dialysate contributes about 1,000 calories to my "diet."  I've lost 25 pounds so far doing this.
AlasdairUK

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

Exercise is a must - It is difficult to get in to the habit, but once you break the cycle it then becomes difficult to stop exercising as it is a way of life. Start small and keep going and before you know it, Shad Ireland will be behind you or maybe not.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
LightLizard

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »

the 'trick' is to make it a habit, and to do that you have to find a form of exercise that you enjoy. it can't be all 'work.'

when i first began displaying signs of kidney failure, i managed to get pretty sick. i was so stubborn that i wouldn't go to the doctor, and after i did go to the doctor, i resisted going to the hospital until i didn't have a choice in the matter.
the doctors were surprised when i didn't die, actually. i was told that the only thing that saved me was the fact that my heart and lungs are strong. i can only attribute that to 30 some-odd years of tai chi and qigong. even when i was bed-ridden and unable to stand, i found myself modifying some of the old qigong execises to help my breathing and state of mind. this is an excellent site for some of these kinds of exercises...
http://www.herbalshop.com/Xiang/xiang-gong.htm
and here is my site, for anyone that may be interested in exploring a system of exercise that's been around for close to a thousand years, now...
http://yinchuandao.bravehost.com/

as the old chinese saying goes 'a used hinge will not rust.'

love

~LL~
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »

:bump;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »

For Jenna's transplant evaluation the dietician asked how much exercise Jenna gets per week. She usually walks to the market each day (about 15 minutes each way) and also to a therapist once a week (30 mins each way) and the Farmer's Market (30 mins each way.) The dietician was SO impressed. She said 20 minutes a day - 5 days a week - would be good so what Jenna's doing is EXCELLENT.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2011, 06:06:41 AM »

For Jenna's transplant evaluation the dietician asked how much exercise Jenna gets per week. She usually walks to the market each day (about 15 minutes each way) and also to a therapist once a week (30 mins each way) and the Farmer's Market (30 mins each way.) The dietician was SO impressed. She said 20 minutes a day - 5 days a week - would be good so what Jenna's doing is EXCELLENT.

That ties in with exactly what I was told too. 20-30 minutes during the week was a good level to have. I usually do that anyway and had been, plus I have been tracking myself with GPS to see how far I've been going, and it's about 2km's (1.2miles) that I walk in the morning before work. Then on the weekend I take a much longer walk (today was 7.33km's or 4.5 miles) and it felt really good. Not only do I feel good getting out and about and working my legs and heart etc, but I know it's helping to burn off some of the extra food the damn preds is making me eat !!  :rofl; (yes that's right - I'm blaming those little white pills.. not my lack of willpower!!!)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »