I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  **Rerun's Movie Reviews**
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] Go Down Print
Author Topic: **Rerun's Movie Reviews**  (Read 296905 times)
lainiepop

« Reply #1200 on: October 25, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »

Hubby and I are going to the cinema tomorrow before having a meal and night away in a hotel while my parents have the kids. We're going to see 'gone girl' but I quite fancy 'maze runner' too.

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
DonaldHorp

« Reply #1201 on: March 25, 2015, 11:16:23 PM »

Как приготовить быстро?
рецепты быстрого приготовления.   как готовить дома.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1202 on: March 26, 2015, 03:00:09 AM »

Как приготовить быстро?
рецепты быстрого приготовления.   как готовить дома.

Hello DonaldHorp,
Unfortunately your information arrived at the "wrong department", because this here is the movie-section...
... If you wish to let us know about kidney friendly food and how to cook it, please do that in the "Diet and Recipes" section.
And please write to us in English because Russian is such a difficult language ...
P.S. Pushkin and Tolstoi are among my favourite autors, but I can only read their wonderful thoughts in translation...
Thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1203 on: May 08, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me (German: So weit die Füße tragen) with English subtitles (Youtube) is a 2001 film about German World War II prisoner of war "Clemens Forell's" escape from a Siberian Gulag in the Soviet Union many thousands of miles back to Germany. The film is based on the book of the same name written by Bavarian novellist Josef Martin Bauer. The book is in turn based on the story of Cornelius Rost who used the alias "Clemens Forell" to avoid retribution from the KGB after his escape. According to the Munich registration office, Cornelius Rost returned to Germany from war imprisonment in Russia on 28 October 1947. In 1953 he started working in the in-house printing division of a publishing house in Munich where he ruined numerous book covers because he had been made colour blind in Russia's lead mines, where he was forced to work during his imprisonment. His employer sought an explanation for this and thus learned about Cornelius Rost's experiences and Rost was asked to write down his recollections. His story is a true story about the art of survival ...
I remember watching the 1959 film-version of this story when it was shown in the 1960's/1970's (?) on TV and I was very impressed by this story, especially since my own childhood was dogged by constant sickness and I was inspired by this true story to find a way forward despite my own poor health ...

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1204 on: May 13, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »

"Letter from an Unknown Woman" by Stefan Zweig was first published in 1922 and basically tells the story
of a successful author who reads a letter written by a woman he does not know or remember ...
... and whilst reading her letter he gets glimpses into her and his own life story...
... Many years ago I read the book and I was quite astonished and also a little confused about the fact
that Stefan Zweig (the writer) was able to analyze so touchingly the deepest emotions/thoughts of a female? ...
... and I still wonder about the story behind this story... ?...
"Letter from an Unknown Woman" was put into film and directed 1948 by Max Ophüls
with Joan Fontaine and Louis Jordan and is shown on youtube...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:00:42 PM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1205 on: June 23, 2015, 06:40:06 AM »

Hangover Square (1945) with Laird Cregar & Linda Darnell (1 hour 17 minutes)
is a real YouTube gem and the atmosphere in the film is totally absorbing and was firmly holding my attention all along ...
Hangover Square is a 1945 film noir directed by John Brahm, based on the novel "Hangover Square" (1941) by Patrick Hamilton.
The screenplay was written by Barré Lyndon who made a number of changes to the novel, including the transformation of "George Harvey Bone" into a classical composer-pianist and filming the story as an early 20th-century period piece...
... worth watching...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:42:52 AM by kristina » Logged

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1206 on: July 01, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »

It's the time for the big summer movies, so what have you all seen so far?

In one weekend, I saw "Mad Max: Fury Road" and "Pitch Perfect 2".  Rather different movies, don'tcha think??  LOL!  I was not all that into the original Mad Max franchise, but I kept hearing such rave reviews that my interest was piqued.  I was shocked by how much I enjoyed that movie.  The plot was universal, really, but the execution was downright Wagnerian.  It was gobsmackingly creative. 

I had to go see Pitch Perfect 2 just to see the cameo appearance of the Green Bay Packers.  Worth it!

I saw "Dope" last week, and I thought it was funny with likeable characters. 

"Inside Out" was creative and presented a way of looking at the workings of the brain that is much more fun than neuroscience!

"Spy" was a riot and was truly well written.  It's Melissa McCarthy at her very best.

Anyone have thoughts on either these or other movies out this season?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lainiepop

« Reply #1207 on: July 01, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »

Ok so hubby and i saw '50 shades of Grey' on weekend. Absolutely awful, don't waste your time haha!!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1208 on: July 11, 2015, 12:42:26 AM »

Saw Jurassic World with my daughters and we all liked. No deep story, of course, but lots of action and great dinosaurs.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1209 on: July 15, 2015, 01:51:13 AM »

Thanks for the wonderful Jurassic-World-picture okarol, those dinosaurs look really great!
... I am watching at the moment some of the most fascinating short films (~ 50 mins) of "The Untouchables"
(courtesy of youtube), the 1959-1963 TV-series with Robert Stack as Eliot Ness ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1210 on: April 11, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »

Ancient Knowledge ( full video HD ) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfegFnaRcqE

I am about two hours into this 5 hour program.  Amazing examples of very old civilizations knowledge of math and this planet.  Applications of this proved but some of the massive construction that has endured thousands of years until even today.   Scientist and archeologist still cannot explain how they had such knowledge, nor how they could apply it to construction on such massive scale with the near perfect precision that is still difficult today.

The 5 hour program is sort of a shortened version, as if you open youtube and search 'Ancient Knowledge' you will find it also available in 6 programs totaling 7 hours.   I may have to watch that also just to see what has been left out in this 5 hour version.

Like I said, amazing information of elementary things,  NONE of which we are taught in school.  Rather, if any was mentioned in school they sure didn't spend much of any time on it.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1211 on: April 24, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »

Romance in a Minor Key directed by Helmut Käutner (courtesy of youtube)
Paris, late 19th century ... Madeleine leads a double life... She is married to an upright, honourable bank clerk,
a model husband who hardly knows his wife...
... fascinating film about a grieving husband (the honourable bank-clerk) who tries to uncover the truth behind his wife's suicide,
leading him to discover a tragic tale of infidelity and redemption... worth watching ...

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1212 on: April 24, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »

Sorry I made a mistake, this film Romance in a Minor Key directed by Helmut Käutner (courtesy of youtube)
is presented (on youtube) only in the Italian- , French-  or German language, but unfortunately not in the English language ... sorry about that ...  :embarassed:

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1213 on: August 14, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »

Hillary's America 2016   :thumbup; x 5

Really everyone needs to go see this.  I'm not saying this because I'm a Republican.  I am also reading "The making of Donald Trump" just to be fair.

I wish both parties had someone better to vote for.  Just go see this movie.  I dare you.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1214 on: November 07, 2016, 11:16:30 PM »

Jack Reacher 2 was ok, it got cheesy at the end. Wanted to see The Accountant, but got to the theater to late for last showing. I need a friend with better timing skills!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1215 on: November 08, 2016, 04:37:37 AM »

I often think of my memory as a worn out clutch, slipping.   Actually, Paul Simon recorded a song, he may not have been thinking about memory but it sure applies.  Slip sliding away.   I can get pretty irratated at myself when this occurs.  Like now.   A minute ago I knew the name,  Not now.

Whatever.

I recently saw Mel Gibson with his beard.  I have to admit that it looks good on him.  He was on the Late Show with the current host.  I still miss Carson.  And it is hard to believe that Leno has done the show long enough to retire.

Another 'Whatever'.

They were discussing Mel's' most recent movie that is now debutting, that is the name I cannot remember.  They ran a scene clip.  And Mel gave a little background on his reasoning behind making this film.  It is based on a REAL person.  A consciencious objector during WW2.  Unwilling to handle any weapon he became a corpman, saving many lives and actually recieved a Medal of Honor.   Mel went on to describe things this man did that he had to leave out of the movie as he feared viewers would not believe it to be true.

I have not seen this movie, yet.  But it is pretty high on my Have To Do list.

I cannot remember that name.  Driving me nutz.   Which really isn't very far now.

Take Care,

Charlie B53
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1216 on: December 13, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »

We need to resurrect this thread!!

Which movies have you all seen lately, and what did you think of them?

Do you still go out to the cinema, or do you watch most movies at home?  Do you stream them, or do you get them on DVD?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lainiepop

« Reply #1217 on: December 13, 2016, 09:38:21 AM »

Havent been for a while as it is so expensive in the uk!. Planning to go over christmas. Think hubby dad and son will go see the new star wars film while me mum and daughter go to see the kids fil ballerina. For my little ballerina 😃. Want too see the garry potter one roo what's it called? Fantastic beasts something? Andrew and steve want to see that too. I am looking forward to in March around my birthday going to see the new beauty and the beast with emma watson. Loved it as a child. Had hoped to go as a family but i lnow elena will be terrified of the beast bless her! We have watched quite a few mocies at home recently as had amazon prime and now tv for a year not up yet. Some good series on amazon prime depending on what u like too.

1984 - urostomy op
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1218 on: December 13, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »

It is rare for us to see a movie in the theater.  Especially since we have Amazon Prime for streaming and a shiny new 4K UHD TV. 

The last movie we saw in the theater was Snowden.  DH wanted to see it and he literally sat in the theater like  :o the whole time.  He hadn't followed the story much in the news so it was all fairly new to him. 

We are planning to go see Passengers in 3D on Christmas Day.  We don't celebrate with family on December 25, so we do the "Chinese food and movie" thing.  This again is DH's idea as he is new to 3D as he grew up with lazy eye that was only fairly recently corrected.  He's not much on sci fi, but for some reason, he is interested in the plot of this movie.

This reminds me that I need to buy our tickets ASAP.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1219 on: February 11, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »

The Mercy. A fascinating and thought-provoking Cinema-film. The true story about Donald Crowhurst (1932–1969), a businessman and amateur sailor, who (possibly) died whilst competing in the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race, a single-handed, round-the-world yacht race. Crowhurst entered the race in hopes of winning a cash prize from The Sunday Times to aid his failing business. But unfortunately, being an amateur sailor, he encountered difficulty very early on and secretly abandoned the race whilst reporting false positions, in an attempt to appear to complete a circumnavigation without actually circling the world. Evidence found after his disappearance suggests that this attempt ended in possible insanity and suicide.
The film itself provides interesting different levels: One level is the tragic story of Donald Crowhurst, another level is provided by the fact that he entered the competition as a “way out” of his failing business. Another interesting level is provided by the fact that there might have been an onset of mental difficulties and some need of professional help. Another interesting point is that all people around him pressed him on to go ahead, despite the fact that it was pretty obvious from the very start that he hardly stood a chance.
A very thought-provoking and in a way a very sad story.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Thesunwillshinetomorrow

« Reply #1220 on: February 20, 2018, 10:10:10 AM »

Saw Wonder in the Theatre. When the DVD came out I bought it!!! A beautiful story! I loved Zootopia too.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #1221 on: March 12, 2018, 12:35:42 AM »

Watched "Where The Wild Things Are" on cable. Yeah, I know...a child's movie based on a children's picture book. But, what can I say? It's WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE!!   >:D
As a child I use to steal the book from my older brother and sit and read it and stare at the pictures for hours. I was a child afraid of the dark and the boogie monster in my closet and the big furry thing hiding under my bed but for some reason, I was not afraid of the Wild Things in the book. Didn't know they made a movie so when I caught a glimpse of it on our tv the other day well, I just HAD TO watch! And I recorded it from the beginning so we can watch the entire movie when we have more time. I'm even thinking of going and buying the book from Barnes & Noble just to keep and bring out on a gloomy day. Maxwell, the little boy in the story who befriends the monsters and becomes their king knew exactly what he was doing. Perhaps I could apply some of his attitude to my own life and things would get a little easier..

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1222 on: June 13, 2018, 03:16:02 AM »

I watched The black panther on blu-ray. Enjoyable after first half hour. Well made

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1223 on: June 14, 2018, 11:26:33 AM »

I rented A Wrinkle in Time to watch in D the other night, and I was so disappointed in it.  I was read the books so many times and love the stories, so I couldn't wait to see the movie.  Disney completely destroyed it.  They completely deleted 2 of the main characters and removed an entire subplot which was essential in the main character learning to trust.  I am thoroughly disgusted with the changes they made, unnecessary changes that ruined the story.

Mom and I also went to see The Book Club last week.  It was one of those movies where I figured all the best parts would be in the previews, but I was wrong.  Even though the women in the movie were 25-30 years older than I am, I could relate to some of the things they were going through, trying to figure out dating apps, for example.  Seeing Candace Bergen also make me more excited for the return of Murphy Brown in the fall.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1224 on: June 23, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »

"TAG"  4 stars -  It is a good feel good movie.  About a bunch of guys who use to play tag in school who still play after 30 years.  Just in the month of May. 

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] Go Up Print 
« previous next »