I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:46:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  **Rerun's Movie Reviews**
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: **Rerun's Movie Reviews**  (Read 296868 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: January 30, 2007, 06:38:55 AM »

Since I watch 3 movies a week, I thought I would start my own "Movie Review".  It will have the basic 5 star (*****) rating with 1 * being bad and ***** being excellent..

Dirty Pretty Things: (***)  Starring Audrey Tautou.  This is about an immigrant young woman in London working as a house keeper.  She is hiding out another immigrant African doctor.  They stumble upon a black market organ selling ring.  They get caught up in the twist of morals and need for escape to America.

Feedback is encouraged......... :welcomesign;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:21:57 AM »

I loooooove the movies, and I've seen "Dirty Pretty Things".

Are you by chance a member of Netflix?  My husband and I are because we really enjoy foreign movies.  We live out in the 'burbs, and foreign films don't often make it out here.  Having said that, things seem to be changing.  Our local mall's cinema is showing both Volver and Pan's Labyrinth along with the usual tripe, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

I especially love going to the movies once the various awards nominations have been released.  Over the past couple of weeks, we've seen Volver, Pan's Labyrinth, Notes on a Scandal, Letters from Iwo Jima and Curse of the Golden Flower.  The only film we haven't seen that has been nominated for Best Film is The Departed.  We saw the original Hong Kong version, "Infernal Affairs", so I don't know how I feel about seeing it all "Hollywooded up".

I really enjoyed The Queen; I've been a fan of Helen Mirren for years.  Have you seen her in the Prime Suspect series?  I was living in England at the time of Diana's death, so I was particularly interested in seeing The Queen.

Which was the sort of fantasy film that Audrey Tautou was in a few years ago?  All I can think of is "Chocolat".  "Amelie"...wasn't that it?  Very different role for her in "Dirty Pretty Things".

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »

Havent seen it, but I do have Netflix, and I ren movies all the time, I shall add it to my que!  :thumbup; Then ill give ya some feedback.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:05:29 PM »

Oooh, Rerun, i think this is an awesome idea  :thumbup;  I value your opinion and i look forward to your reviews  :clap;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:11:40 PM »

Are you by chance a member of Netflix?  My husband and I are because we really enjoy foreign movies.  We live out in the 'burbs, and foreign films don't often make it out here.  Having said that, things seem to be changing.  Our local mall's cinema is showing both Volver and Pan's Labyrinth along with the usual tripe, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

I especially love going to the movies once the various awards nominations have been released.  Over the past couple of weeks, we've seen Volver, Pan's Labyrinth, Notes on a Scandal, Letters from Iwo Jima and Curse of the Golden Flower.  The only film we haven't seen that has been nominated for Best Film is The Departed.  We saw the original Hong Kong version, "Infernal Affairs", so I don't know how I feel about seeing it all "Hollywooded up".

I really enjoyed The Queen; I've been a fan of Helen Mirren for years.  Have you seen her in the Prime Suspect series?  I was living in England at the time of Diana's death, so I was particularly interested in seeing The Queen.

Which was the sort of fantasy film that Audrey Tautou was in a few years ago?  All I can think of is "Chocolat".  "Amelie"...wasn't that it?  Very different role for her in "Dirty Pretty Things".

Hey, sounds like you have a good eye for movies.  Feel free to review ones you have see also.  I give The Queen *****.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 08:21:27 PM »

The Mission (**) starring Robert DeNiro (1986) -  This is an old movie but someone suggested it.  It would be a good movie if I understood the Catholic Religion.  Sara would love it.   ;)  It was too violant and I got lost in who was who.   :thumbdown;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 10:14:46 PM »

I saw an ad today for a new kid's movie "Bridge to Terabitha" and it looked very exciting and fun.  Which makes me wonder if they actually read the book it's based on, which is a real tearjerker.  I remember bawling my eyes as a kid reading it.  Do they write the movie scripts based on the book or the cliff notes?  Yeeeeesh.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »

Most of you have probably at least heard of the films I mentioned beforehand as they've received various award nominations, but you might not have heard anything about "Curse of the Golden Flower."  It is truly Shakespearean, filled with familial betrayals, secrets and lies.  It is visually one of the most scintillating films I've ever seen.  If you liked "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", you will enjoy this film, too.

Volver is a typical Almodovar film.  It is sweet and quirky, filled with a very talented female cast.  I've noticed that all of his casts have very interesting faces.  Here in the US, Penelope Cruz is seen as little more than another pretty face, so it is nice to see her acting talents delivered in her native tongue.  The plot has several seemingly unrelated strands that all come together nicely in the end.  It is a "chick flick" at its very finest.

Everything you have heard about the superb performances in Notes on a Scandal is true.  This is a very different role for Dame Judi Dench, and she is just plain spooky.  In this film, it is surprising to see that the true predator is a pinched, dry school marm.  If you've seen Pirates of The Caribbean and want to know what the actor who plays Davy Jones (squidface and all) looks like in real life, that's Sheba's husband (actor Bill Nighy).

Letters of Iwo Jima is interesting, of course, because it gives us an insight into the "enemy".  I was interested to see that most of the audience members attending the same screening as us were older; I couldn't help but wonder what they were feeling.  There were a group of Japanese people, too, and again, I wondered what their impressions were.  Ken Watanabe was as regal as ever, and the actor who played Saigo the baker was really quite endearing.  There were more conventional war scenes than in "Flags of our Fathers".  I have read that many of the Japanese actors who played the young soldiers had never heard of the Battle of Iwo Jima; the Japanese education system has thoroughly edited parts of history.  A lot of people learned a lot of things before this film was ever completed.  I felt the film was just a tad too long, but then again, I had a bad case of indigestion, and that makes time move so much more slowly.  Urp.

If any of you like foreign films, let me know!   I'm always eager to hear recommendations!

For anyone with Netflix, which are the next five items on your queue?  I'd love to hear because I'm really interested in what people like and why!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:04:05 PM »

Everything you have heard about the superb performances in Notes on a Scandal is true.  This is a very different role for Dame Judi Dench, and she is just plain spooky.  In this film, it is surprising to see that the true predator is a pinched, dry school marm

i do love Judi Dench...

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »

I like quirky, out of the ordinary movies and TV shows.  I tend to like historical dramas like I, Claudius, Elizabeth (with Helen Mirren) and the version with that other English actress I can't remember her name, things like that.  I've seen Amelie and it was good! Strange in a fantasy kind of way but good. Helen Mirren is a great actress.  There was a movie Cal back in the 1980's with her in it and she makes the movie. 
Some movies I can watch over and over again:
Apocalypse Now
American History X
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Kind Hearts and Coronets
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Night of the Hunter
The Godfather: Part II and Part I
Life is Beautiful
Being There
that movie with Liza Minelli and Dudley Moore as the rich guy??  Arthur??  I love that movie also. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 06:02:41 PM »

I don't do Foreign Films because I don't do "subtitles."  Either I'm a slow reader or yeah, I'm a slow reader.  I miss the last three words and I never watch the movie.  I'm trying to read and it gives me a headache.

Netflix Queue:  Love Liza, Nacho Libre, Little Miss Sunshine, The Devil's Advocate, Akeelah and the Bee.

This isn't to say I like these movies ........ I haven't seen them yet.

I tend to like different genre for different moods.

mcjane

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »

Oh Yeah, "Being There" that Donna mentioned, with Peter Sellers. If you haven't seen it your missing a great movie. Very funny, very sweet, very different  & a four star movie.

Funniest movie: Caddyshack
The Party with Peter Sellers. This one will have you ROFLYAO

I don't watch sub title movies either. How can you read & watch a movie at the same time. One eception though. Babette's Feast. An absolute gem of a movie with a very nice suprise ending.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 09:06:40 PM »

The Devil's Advocate

Excellent movie-there is a white sculpture near the end of the movie behind Al Pacino...very awesome

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »

The Devil's Advocate

Excellent movie-there is a white sculpture near the end of the movie behind Al Pacino...very awesome

I read the book first and the book is much better, in fact the book has a slightly different twist at the end. The movie was good and Al Pacino makes an excellent Satan however I could not put the book down.  :thumbup;

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 01:38:54 PM »

Rerun, I'm curious to hear what you will have to say about "Little Miss Sunshine."

Jill D.

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 05:28:46 PM »

Rerun, I'm curious to hear what you will have to say about "Little Miss Sunshine."

I loved that movie...I thought the little girl that played Olive (her name escapes me right now!) did an amazing acting job. I love quirky movies like that!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 08:40:52 PM »

Let's see what movie did I see today?  I can't even remember the name ..... that is how much I liked it.

It was AWFUL!  Nasty as nasty gets!  They actually had a girl with a penis as a nose (although she had a veil)  OMG!  Then she sneezed and you can imagine!  Well, no you probably can't!   :P

Duce Bigalow - In Europe () that is 0 stars. 

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »

Let's see what movie did I see today?  I can't even remember the name ..... that is how much I liked it.

It was AWFUL!  Nasty as nasty gets!  They actually had a girl with a penis as a nose (although she had a veil)  OMG!  Then she sneezed and you can imagine!  Well, no you probably can't!   :P

EEEEWWW!  Hope she doesn't lie.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 07:37:37 AM »

EEEEWWW!  Hope she doesn't lie.

OK, Sluff you could be a writer for that movie.  I thought they thought of everything, but you came up with a new one!   ;D

renal30yrs

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 09:00:10 AM »

Since I watch 3 movies a week, I thought I would start my own "Movie Review".  It will have the basic 5 star (*****) rating with 1 * being bad and ***** being excellent..

Dirty Pretty Things: (***)  Starring Audrey Tautou.  This is about an immigrant young woman in London working as a house keeper.  She is hiding out another immigrant African doctor.  They stumble upon a black market organ selling ring.  They get caught up in the twist of morals and need for escape to America.

Feedback is encouraged......... :welcomesign;

Certainly was an entertaining flick.  However I had to ask out loudly; the kidney taken by the Nigerian surgeon from the Spaniard, wasn't likely a complete mismatch for the poor girl?  Granted that they could have run some degree of ABO and HLA matching tests with the Tautou character I don't think they had time to so such a thing for the Spaniard.  Wasn't it most likely that the kidney would have rejected and possibly killing th girl.  Also I thought the film gave a bad  wrong impression about organ transplants.  It was shown in such shady,dark, and unethical manner.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 05:11:48 PM »

Rerun, have you seen the movie Fargo?   Just wanted to know what you thought of it if you have.  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 05:22:52 PM »

Rerun, have you seen the movie Fargo?   Just wanted to know what you thought of it if you have.  :2thumbsup;

I got a kick out of that movie. Ya der hey.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »

I've seen Fargo twice.  It was a (****) four star movie.  I thought it was pretty funny.  I can do a Mean ND Accent.  Dun't Cha KNow...

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 02:50:36 AM »

Nacho Libre starring Jack Black (**) Sorry only two stars on this one folks.  I know everybody loved it.  But, I don't like wrestling and even though it was supposed to be slap stick humor I just didn't like it.

:thumbdown;

Bette

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 09:42:20 AM »

Have you seen Dreamgirls?  I saw it and thought it was awsome.  I would give it 3 1/2 stars.  I also rented Rabbit Prof Fence this week.  It was also very good, but a sad story. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »