I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 01:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Gerald Slept Here!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gerald Slept Here!  (Read 102846 times)
Gerald Lively

« Reply #400 on: September 06, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »

Come next Tuesday some gullible nurse is going to search the forest in the mountains looking for our humble abode.  He/she is going to poke something in the tender parts of my abdomen so I may sit for two hours while I absorb liquid goodies.  This serves as treatment for immunoglobulin defiency.  This sounds a heck of a lot like dialysis with a tummy fistula. 
Two hours! Chemo took six hours.  Dialysis took a few hours and they liked me so much I had to do it three times each week.  I should be used to this business of being tied down by tubes and drip-bags.  The best illustration of how I feel about this is during dialysis when the nurse farted and I couldn’t get away.  Judging by the volume and the odor, the culprit must have been bean burritos.  Perhaps I just don’t favor being a prisoner.
And so it goes.  Reading is out, macular degeneration is bad enough now that I can’t read a book, typing requires an extraordinary amount of editing, and the monster sized TV is starting to look like a 1950s TV on rabbit ears.  Then there is hearing.  Went to two doctors about my fading hearing and both said, “You can’t hear.”  Yep, that’s why they pay them the big bucks.  Wife is looking into hearing aids. 
So, my shrink say write a book.  I suspect something here, perhaps there is a lack of coordination among my medical professionals.  Really!  Medical professionals.  The term reminds me of the time I woke up during eye surgery for cataracts. 
Maybe I will start a new website.  I could call it “I Hate Secondary Immunodeficiency Therapy”.  Kind of a catchy title, don’t you think?

Kootie J

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #401 on: September 06, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »

Getting old(er) is a bitch, but it sure beats the alternative!  :cuddle;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #402 on: September 08, 2014, 09:56:26 PM »

I'm not so sure about that!

Galvo
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #403 on: September 09, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »

It depends on what you believe your alternative is....

:flower;
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:21:21 AM by Rerun » Logged

Gerald Lively

« Reply #404 on: October 19, 2014, 11:41:26 PM »

Look at all the new faces!  It looks like a new generation has joined up.  For those who ask what this is all about; too bad, I'm not going to explain.  Awright, a small update.  I am the resident zombie.  The AMA has tried to kill me a dozen times and it remains debatable about their success.  Worse, I survived dialysis.
Soap Opera:  As the pervious episode closed, the Hunter-Killer nurse was tromping through the forest looking for me.  Damned if she didn't find me.  There I was, still in my jammies lounging on my "kick-your-feet-out" chair.  The front door shuddered, the doorbell range and Auggie the Chihuahua guard dog, prepared for an attack. Arf!  Alas, Auggie barked but his tail wagged.  I'm gonna fire that dog one of these days.
It seems this nurse wants to stick no less than four needles in my butt.  Second choice was in love handles.  First of all this infusion of Immunogloblin takes two hours and I don't want some strange woman gazing at my butt for two hours with four needles plus four tubes hanging out where the sun shines, well, not when my wife is there.  Second, my love handles represent a substantial investment.  It cost big bucks to get them love handles up to proper size.  So, being master of my world I said, "Stick 'em in my arm. Two here, two over there." Na, na, na, whine, groan and there isn't enough fat." Having been a longtime powerlifter, I checked my arm; there was a drooping tricept from ten years of doing nothing. "Stick it there".  She likes my arms, that was nice.  I flexed my arms for the remainder of the day.
I survived but she taught my wife how to stick those needles and all of whatever else they do.  Nurse came here for three Mondays (I get this infusion once per week) indefinitely. They said the same thing about renal failure (two weeks to live) and dialysis (three times per week for life) but I beat both of them.  I beat my fourth major cancer and you people are stuck with me.  Birthday next month.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #405 on: October 20, 2014, 06:42:01 AM »

Look at all the new faces!  It looks like a new generation has joined up.  For those who ask what this is all about; too bad, I'm not going to explain.  Awright, a small update.  I am the resident zombie.  The AMA has tried to kill me a dozen times and it remains debatable about their success.  Worse, I survived dialysis.
Soap Opera:  As the pervious episode closed, the Hunter-Killer nurse was tromping through the forest looking for me.  Damned if she didn't find me.  There I was, still in my jammies lounging on my "kick-your-feet-out" chair.  The front door shuddered, the doorbell range and Auggie the Chihuahua guard dog, prepared for an attack. Arf!  Alas, Auggie barked but his tail wagged.  I'm gonna fire that dog one of these days.
It seems this nurse wants to stick no less than four needles in my butt.  Second choice was in love handles.  First of all this infusion of Immunogloblin takes two hours and I don't want some strange woman gazing at my butt for two hours with four needles plus four tubes hanging out where the sun shines, well, not when my wife is there.  Second, my love handles represent a substantial investment.  It cost big bucks to get them love handles up to proper size.  So, being master of my world I said, "Stick 'em in my arm. Two here, two over there." Na, na, na, whine, groan and there isn't enough fat." Having been a longtime powerlifter, I checked my arm; there was a drooping tricept from ten years of doing nothing. "Stick it there".  She likes my arms, that was nice.  I flexed my arms for the remainder of the day.
I survived but she taught my wife how to stick those needles and all of whatever else they do.  Nurse came here for three Mondays (I get this infusion once per week) indefinitely. They said the same thing about renal failure (two weeks to live) and dialysis (three times per week for life) but I beat both of them.  I beat my fourth major cancer and you people are stuck with me.  Birthday next month.

You can take a lick'n and keep on tick'n!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Gerald Lively

« Reply #406 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:45 AM »

Not enough mischief around here.  How can I tell?  I was just sitting here pressing the "go up" button followed by the "go down" button.  It wasn't exciting.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #407 on: October 20, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »

Great to hear from you, Gerald, and to see you're still having fun. A very Happy Birthday!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:57:49 PM by galvo » Logged

Galvo
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #408 on: October 21, 2014, 01:05:23 AM »

Not enough mischief around here.  How can I tell?  I was just sitting here pressing the "go up" button followed by the "go down" button.  It wasn't exciting.
:rofl;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Gerald Lively

« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2015, 11:44:04 PM »

Hello all:
It has been a while since my last post.  As I gaze around the room I see an entirely new generation of potential victims for my satirical appetite.  Oh yes, I was a dialysis impatient patient for eight months.  Then I went on strike.  No longer do I have to put up with nurses who fart and walk away, or do water calculations and argue with the nurse about it, or watch right-wing TV on a postage stamp size monitor, and I do not have to beg to be unhooked so I can stroll to the restroom to take a whiz.  Now I have kidneys that function at 35% of normal.  I pour water in and water comes out, what more can I ask.

What have I been doing?  Chasing women, trying to get off Facebook, chasing women, involved in politics, and I'm trying to grow a few veggies during this drought thing.  On the other had I still get immunoglobulin infusions once a week for a suppressed immune system (caused by chemo).  Needle Hell - four of 'em.  Then my doctor has me lifting weights again.  I'm 76 years old.  And they put me on a diet - does anyone have a donut?  Send it UPS to me.   

Okay, I sold all my Harleys because my eyesight has almost disappeared. Macular Disentigration. (sp).  Hearing is gone and hearing aids made me cough.  But I am here ladies. So, what do we have to drink?
Kootie J

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2015, 12:52:17 AM »

Hello all:
It has been a while since my last post.  As I gaze around the room I see an entirely new generation of potential victims for my satirical appetite.  Oh yes, I was a dialysis impatient patient for eight months.  Then I went on strike.  No longer do I have to put up with nurses who fart and walk away, or do water calculations and argue with the nurse about it, or watch right-wing TV on a postage stamp size monitor, and I do not have to beg to be unhooked so I can stroll to the restroom to take a whiz.  Now I have kidneys that function at 35% of normal.  I pour water in and water comes out, what more can I ask.

What have I been doing?  Chasing women, trying to get off Facebook, chasing women, involved in politics, and I'm trying to grow a few veggies during this drought thing.  On the other had I still get immunoglobulin infusions once a week for a suppressed immune system (caused by chemo).  Needle Hell - four of 'em.  Then my doctor has me lifting weights again.  I'm 76 years old.  And they put me on a diet - does anyone have a donut?  Send it UPS to me.   

Okay, I sold all my Harleys because my eyesight has almost disappeared. Macular Disentigration. (sp).  Hearing is gone and hearing aids made me cough.  But I am here ladies. So, what do we have to drink?
Kootie J
Hope none of your Harleys ended up parked in Waco. Sorry about the eyesight but some of the ugliness going on these days would make you want to shield them anyway. Hearing doesn't matter, so long as you are in good company and know sign language, such as come here, take this order to the cook or who otherwise doesn't care if you're listening or not. As for adult beverages, pull up a stool and order yourself one. And bring your own bag of doughnuts, nobody will mind.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:56:27 AM by PrimeTimer » Logged

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2015, 01:19:23 AM »

Hello Gerald,
... so good to see you again and very interesting to read about your latest excursions...
Sorry about your new diet and I am also sorry that can't send you a donut right away, because our shops are not open yet ...
You are very lucky that your kidney function has increased and 35% kidney function
is what most of us here can only dream about... Please tell us: how did you do it?
Sorry about those Harleys, but you are still young and something equally exciting may come along...
Kind regards and good luck wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2015, 07:03:52 AM »

Hi, Gerald!  :2thumbsup; :cuddle;

So glad to see that you are still putting up a fuss and keeping the ladies terrorized!   :guitar:

I can't have donuts either, so let's commiserate together!  :banghead;

Keep up the fight. Now that I'm retired, I have gotten more involved in politics, too. Gotta put up the fight somehow!

Love to you,

Aleta

Gerald Lively

« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »

How did I beat dialysis?
I don't know.  A few years back my upper abdomen suddenly grew large.  My GP told me I was constipated but it turns out it was three cancer tumors that decided to grow large.  Got very tired, went into hallucinations and they wheeled me into the hospital and was immediately diagnosed as having experienced renal failure.  Cancer and renal failure all at once, my lucky day.  Still hallucinating, they wheeled me into surgery and pounded some sort of catheter into my chest via the collar bone.  Immediately was placed on dialysis.  I woke up and saw some gruffy looking fellow reading a women's magazine.  A machine was grinding away next to the bed and to my horror I was connected to this monster machine that sounded like a coffee grinder.  At this point I didn't know what my medical problems were.  Mr. scruffy told me.
Later that day they started chemo.  It was some sort of "anti-body" juice.  My Oncologist said it would "knock down those tumors" quickly but I would remain on chemo for about two or three years.  I stayed in the hospital for a week then I got up and left.  The hospital didn't like that and they sent a cop to my home to talk me back to the hospital which is thirty miles away (I live in the forested mountains).  Chemo lasted two years but it destroyed my immune system so I get these immunoglobulin infusions every Monday.  I stay away from people because they cough a lot.
Those hallucinations were a whole story by themselves.  If interested I'll tell you.
I spend my time on the computer now even though I have trouble seeing the keyboard and reading those two over-sized monitors, and I am all about politics since politics was a big part of my career.  (Retired City Manager)  And I am seriously concerned about the these United States and its future. 
After eight months of dialysis and arguing about how much water to take out, I demanded a test to see if I could exit that place.  I passed with 20% kidney function.  In the next several months those kidneys improved to about 35-40%. 
And here we are.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #414 on: May 29, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »

Good to see you're a bad boy as always. Shouldn't all that chasing women keep some of the weight off? I'll send you TastyKakes. I wonder how they taste with Long Island Iced Tea.

(I still get sweets but no alcohol.)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #415 on: September 15, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »

How did I beat dialysis?
I don't know.  A few years back my upper abdomen suddenly grew large.  My GP told me I was constipated but it turns out it was three cancer tumors that decided to grow large.  Got very tired, went into hallucinations and they wheeled me into the hospital and was immediately diagnosed as having experienced renal failure.  Cancer and renal failure all at once, my lucky day.  Still hallucinating, they wheeled me into surgery and pounded some sort of catheter into my chest via the collar bone.  Immediately was placed on dialysis.  I woke up and saw some gruffy looking fellow reading a women's magazine.  A machine was grinding away next to the bed and to my horror I was connected to this monster machine that sounded like a coffee grinder.  At this point I didn't know what my medical problems were.  Mr. scruffy told me.
Later that day they started chemo.  It was some sort of "anti-body" juice.  My Oncologist said it would "knock down those tumors" quickly but I would remain on chemo for about two or three years.  I stayed in the hospital for a week then I got up and left.  The hospital didn't like that and they sent a cop to my home to talk me back to the hospital which is thirty miles away (I live in the forested mountains).  Chemo lasted two years but it destroyed my immune system so I get these immunoglobulin infusions every Monday.  I stay away from people because they cough a lot.
Those hallucinations were a whole story by themselves.  If interested I'll tell you.
I spend my time on the computer now even though I have trouble seeing the keyboard and reading those two over-sized monitors, and I am all about politics since politics was a big part of my career.  (Retired City Manager)  And I am seriously concerned about the these United States and its future. 
After eight months of dialysis and arguing about how much water to take out, I demanded a test to see if I could exit that place.  I passed with 20% kidney function.  In the next several months those kidneys improved to about 35-40%. 
And here we are.

Amazing! :)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #416 on: September 28, 2015, 01:01:34 AM »

Nice to hear you are alive and well ( or somewhat anyways ) Gerald, and nice that you are back and into POLITICS!!!!! Now we dont have to worry about arguing religion, so lets hear your output in regard to well, "THE DONALD". I can hardly wait!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Gerald Lively

« Reply #417 on: October 02, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »

Okay, here I am. 
Wife took me to COSTCO yesterday.  It seems she thinks I don't get out often enough.  Egads, I actually saw people, hundreds of them.  They infested the store, drive cars but worst of all, the lady shoppers with grocery carts push those things like a Kamakazi pilot.  While there I had a revelation about feeding the hungry of the World; buy them a COSTCO membership and have them check the free food samples they have. 
Today I am tired from all that exercise.  Gotta rest.  Wife bought a pizza there.  Had some for lunch.  Can't believe I ate the damn thing.  Been on a diet; lost fifty pounds and the doctor still isn't happy.  I think he served time in the German military during WWII.  No more pizza, twas yucky. 
Sorry Folks, but I am about to offend some people including the word cops who say I can't write about politics in the "General" category.  Then again, I always broke the rules including carrying a protest sign back in my good old college days.  Got elected to Stud body Prez for that.
Donald Trump because you asked.
As a student of political science and Group Psychology I can say that the speech patterns Trump follows is the exact same as Hitler.  What Trump offers, now that his tax plan is out there for all to see, is the type of fascism known as "Corporatism" same as Mussolini - although we are experiencing Corporatism now (when government and corporations make public policy).  In addition, Mr. Trump says what sounds good but without specifics.  That gives him flexibility, if he is elected, to change his promise.  That makes him dangerous since no one really knows what he truly means - except for his tax idea that benefits cororate America and himself.  He is a self-described egoist and no doubt that penetrates every idea he has.  If you are listening to him you need to know that.
If any one is still reading this, I have birthday #77 coming up soon, am waiting for some rain (this is California, ya know) and I noticed that the east coast is still hogging all of the rain.  SHare, why don't ya!
Still getting immunoglobulin every Monday, four blunt needles and tubes in the arm.   I should smile but I don't.  Can barely see the minotor fonts, can't read anything on paper, can't write and my hearing went to hell (may be service related).  By the way, the font on this message is kind of small so forgive the typos or else I will haunt you with terrible puns for the remainder of your days.
Like:  I saw a car that crashed into a tree and realized that Mercedes Bends.
Okay, I give up.
By the way, one last political poke:  The best person for the President's job is not running, Elizabeth Warren.   You are free to shoot at me.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #418 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:26 PM »

I won't shoot at you, because I like what you are saying.  :2thumbsup;

Can you imagine if Bernie Sanders chose Elizabeth Warren as his running mate???? Woo hoo. That would be a pair. One can hope.

Fifty pounds of weight loss! Good for you! I "only" lost 40, and I would like to lose 5 more, but that last 5 is just not budging.  :thumbdown;

Good to hear fro you, as always.

And happy, happy birthday to a 77 years YOUNG person.

:cuddle;

Aleta

Gerald Lively

« Reply #419 on: October 02, 2015, 10:51:06 PM »

Willow-Baby:
I am saddened that Elizabeth Warren is not running.  She is clearly Presidential material, has the correct answers on economic issues and is not afraid to say what needs to be said along with detailed solutions. 
Bernie suits me but he has an ideology and ideology stifles creativity.  The next President will face a Republican House again because gerrymandering almost guarantees a GOP House.  Still, it is a long way off and things are happening; Hillary is losing ground, Biden has not said what he will do and on the GOP side we are all watching Trump-dee-do-da.
If you are interested, I am a Progressive.  I believe government must keep improving both itself and the Nation for which it is responsible.  People first.  A healthy America.  No wars.  Yep, I carried a sign back in the day.  I don't remember what it said.  Must have been something like "Yankee Go Home" during the war or "Nixon is a Wuss."

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #420 on: October 03, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »

Since retiring, I've gotten more active in politics. Who knows, maybe I can make a difference in this very, very red state. Stranger things have happened.  :rofl;

I greatly admire Warren. I could really get behind her, but that isn't going to happen this go-around.

Keep smiling, Gerald. I always love to hear from you!

Aleta

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
« previous next »