I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 05:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Gerald Slept Here!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gerald Slept Here!  (Read 102898 times)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #250 on: March 28, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »

Thoughts on the VS? Why go through another surgery that could affect your improving kidney function at this time? I would nix it.

And for all the other news....

:bandance; :cheer: :clap; :yahoo;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #251 on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »

:yahoo; :bandance; :bandance; :bandance; :yahoo;  Great news Gerald!!!  Now if hubby could get off dialysis after 16 years......  Don't think that is going to happen!! :thumbdown;  He does do home hem though.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

congrats GL, truly marvelous

love Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »

:cuddle;  couldnt be happier for you gl....  almost hard to speak it's kinda overwhelmingly ....hum,,,, no words... Just know im delighted head to toe  :flower;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Gerald Lively

« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »

I hadn’t slept the night before seeing the Nephrologist this last time.  I worried about returning to dialysis and had decided to resist returning to that chair of horrors.  My wife and I had a six hour discussion on my options the night before and I was still procrastinating at 6 AM when I finally decided that I wasn’t going to get any rest.  Yes, I was considering suicide by just boycotting something that was the ruin of my life, dialysis.

I had all of my blood work sheets trended out and was prepared to argue my case.  I have never trusted doctors who only gave me passive attention, or had to look at the file to recall my name; one must fend for themselves.  In this situation, I had been handed off from my original Nephrologist to another Doctor. 

To bolster my case, I had a favorable blood test from the Cancer Center the day before the meeting.  Alas, none of that was necessary.

How did that feel?  To be frank, I don’t know.  I was and am, so tired I just want to sleep.  I did get in twelve hours last night but today I can hardly keep my eyes open.  I fell asleep for a half hour just sitting in a chair while starring out the window.  Perhaps that is relief or I am just catching up after eight months of undetected stress.  And yes, this morning we talked about the first day of the rest of my life.

Outside it is overcast with a light drizzle and a slight wind.  I took Auggie and Mama-kitty out for a long walk in the woods.  Those two played hide and seek and seemed at peace with one another.  I watched an engineering crew set up a GPS (temporary) station on our property as a part of a major highway revamp nearby.  We have the only clear view of the valley below.

Perhaps I am jaded, having been through various cancers so often before.  Maybe I am hardened by the abuse sustained as a youth from a pair of violent alcoholic parents.  Or this may have something to do with fighting my way to success in my profession after starting out with the clothes on my back and nothing else.  Or it might be that after all of my assertiveness with the dialysis people, it turns out that I was right and they were wrong.  Or, as my dying friend, Duane said in an e-mail yesterday, “We prayed for a miracle and you got one, now go to see a priest and return the favor.”

I see myself as a compassionate and emotional person.  That much should be evident in my politics.  So, I say to all of you, this isn’t about me, it is all about you.  I have seen and felt the suffering of a creatinine so high that it would cripple most people, the pain and tedium of dialysis as it becomes the dominate feature in ones life, and the absolute despair when there seems to be no way out.  Remember Beachbum, but remember those who don’t complain and live and endure in quiet desperate agony.  And never forget those who give up their lives to aid others as do the legions of caregivers. 

Now I have good fortune to be free from all of this.  What does it feel like?  It feels like I owe somebody.  So, after the doctor’s appointment yesterday, I went next door and made the rounds and talked with those who were hooked up to that damned machine. And I thanked the staff.

Next week I have to see the Vascular Surgeon about a fistula.  Maybe, maybe not.  Then there are cancer follow-ups.

gerald

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Gerald Lively

« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »

A Texas jury on Monday sentenced a former nurse to life in prison after finding her guilty of killing five patients by injecting bleach into their kidney dialysis lines, the Lufkin Daily News reported.

Kimberly Saenz, 38, was found guilty of capital murder in the case last week. Jurors could have recommended that she be sentenced to death.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »

truly unbelievable

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »

Keep writing, Gerald. I so enjoy your thoughts.

The clear view of the valley sounds lovely....pictures??  :pics;

:cuddle;

Aleta

Gerald Lively

« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »

The breeze was slight on that cold and overcast day. It was the sort of cold that penetrated, sending chills into your bones.  I had a mission that day and that was chilling enough, I didn’t need the weather.  Yes, I was on my way to see my Vascular Surgeon.  With three weeks of no dialysis, this Doctor had to answer some questions: Shall we do a seventh surgery for a fistula, and what about that chest catheter?

As soon as we arrived, I headed for the restrooms. I pushed on the door, then crashed into it.  The restroom door was locked. I gazed around and discovered a sign that instructed one to ask for a key.  With my knees together, I walked across the hall to the office and asked for the “P Key”. The Receptionist was quick and obviously experienced; she didn’t want some whiskered guy draining his tank in front of her window.  I crawled back across the hallway and fumbled with the lock, wishing I had brought a large clothespin for pecker-control purposes.  I hear it works.  Uh huh, and the World is flat.

Once inside that sterile and tiled room, I hung it out and it, well, uh . . . . . went a little bit.  Hmmmmm! Underperforming, not the first time.  But that was different, it was for  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh, never mind.  I put it away and went back to the office, and they called me in right away.

The Vascular Surgeon is a big fellow, about 6’2” with a big sense of humor.  He already knows I am off dialysis.  The doctor grapevine seems to function very well. He says my Nephrologist thinks I am off dialysis for good, so we will be taking the chest catheter out.

I see the big needle on a tray and ask when we should do this.  He says we should do it in about three minutes.  Before I can says, “Holy Moly Needle-man,” he says take off your sweater as he lifts my feet up on the exam table that is already going up like an elevator. 

Consider this; I remember some doctor pounding that catheter IN and I recall fighting back.  Wife said I was hallucinating but my VS wasn’t denying anything.  He has this huge horse needle in his hand. “This might sting a little,” he says. Then he aims that missile at my collar bone.  He understated the sting by considerable.  Then he does it a second time, and a third, then I don’t know what he did.  By now he had a cutting tool in his hand and was sculpting, cutting, or something.  I closed my eyes for a minute - - and he was finished and was telling me to press on a hunk of gauze for ten minutes or until the nurse came in.  I felt for the two dingle-dangles, they weren’t there.

As he was leaving he said, “No need to do anymore fistula surgery, unless you get sick again,” and he was gone.

I ask the nurse to make the gauze and bandages large so I could claim I got shot or some other heroic act.  No way, she slaps up a hunk of something and two strips of scotch tape. 

Okay, across the parking lot to the blood lab.  My Neph wants yet another blood test.  Easy.  I do the unnecessary paperwork going in and am soon sitting in the vampire chair.  This is routine; use right arm, vein is hard to find, rubber band, squeeze, don’t squeeze.  She pokes me right at the bend of the elbow.  A sharp pain shoots to my hand and my thumb is pointed rigidly upright and it is in great pain. I try to make light of it by telling my wife that my thumb has an erection.  She says it’s bigger than my penis.  I look back at my thumb and wonder.

The nurse, in her infinite wisdom, asks, “does it hurt?”, and concludes she must have hit a nerve.  She doesn’t take the needle out and try again, she continues to draw blood.  Did I miss something in the common-sense class?  She finishes. I’m holding a gauze on the newly acquired hole in my arm, my thumb has taken to shaking. Fingers, same thing. 

Out comes the scotch tape and I am sent on my way.

By now I have to pee, this time for real.

gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
del
Elite Member

« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »

I love your writing , Gerald!!  It is wonderful that the neph thinks you are off dialysis for good!!!  :2thumbsup; 

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »

I agree with Del.  :2thumbsup;

But I'm surprised at the difficulty in getting that cath out!  :banghead;

When Carl had his TX, they had trouble getting his in and had to switch sides. It delayed his surgery by an hour and certainly put me on edge, as I was waiting outside his room for what was supposed to be a 5 minute procedure....

Gerald, I'm still thrilled with your good fortune.  :clap; :clap; :clap; :clap;

Aleta

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »

Great news, Gerald, as you have enough on your plate with your other health issues.  Maybe you should celebrate by buying another Harley.  Hope you won't disappear from this Forum though?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Gerald Lively

« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »

Oncologist called.  Cancer has returned.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »

I just said a very bad word and in tears. I'm  sad. Prayerful is all I can offer.  Be the strong man you at gl. A hug and a prayer for strength and healing.

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Traveller1947

« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:56 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Gerald.
Gerald Lively

« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2012, 11:46:30 PM »

I realize that this isn’t dialysis but what the heck.  My Oncologist reported three tumors of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma per a CT scan I had last week. This will be my third bout with this particular health problem.  These tumors are in the upper abdomen.  The good doctor offered some options;  go to a large hospital and seek some treatment that he isn’t aware of, radiation, or a harsher chemotherapy.

I have no intention of going to UC Davis or UCLA where I know no one.

Radiation may overlap an area previously radiated for prostate cancer.  If they do overlap, that option is out.

I have undergone a chemotherapy protocol ABVD, where your hair falls out, eyes turn red and you absolutely cannot expose your skin to the Sun.  Or suffer almost immediate blistering.  I can do this one if I must.  The chemo is spread over six to seven months.  The stuff is brutal.

I feel that this one is the final show since the options are dwindling.  I will get better or I will croak.  Now, if you will all gather around my bed I will reveal all of the secret military, currently irrelevant stuff I know.  And, no, Sputnik did not carry a secret code.  I checked personally.

gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
cassandra
Elite Member

« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »

oh for crying out loud! Don't know what to say. I'll ask my dad for prayers.  I' sorry GL. Keep strong.

love Cas

1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
2020 start Gambro AK96

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #267 on: April 13, 2012, 03:15:51 AM »

Cheers, mate.

Galvo
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2012, 03:46:01 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems getting worse.  My sister got a hip replacement at U.C. Davis, and they did a good job.  You might want to consider giving them a shot.   
big777bill

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2012, 05:38:22 AM »

Sorry to hear about this Gerald. I know you're not a religious man but I am so prayers will be said for you immediately. This health roller coaster sucks! It's like you beat one thing and then another is right there to take it's place. God bless you and heal your body, Bill S.

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
del
Elite Member

« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2012, 06:29:51 AM »

:grouphug;  Stay strong!!

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2012, 06:35:49 AM »

Cr@p! I am very upset by this news. I will respect whatever choice you make, but I personally would hate to lose you.

:embarassed:  :'(

If you have fight left in you, please fight. Do not go quietly into that dark night.

:cuddle;

Aleta

Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »

GL  I echo willowtreewren - if possible - fight.  Don't want to see give up.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »

I enjoy your wit, your writings. Whatever you decide, I wish you well.  :grouphug;  :grouphug;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
brenda seal

« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »

Gerald , I only know you through your writing but much of your situation is similar to Laurie's . Through your writing you have made me both laugh out loud and cry . I think you should spend your retirement writing a book - I guarantee it will be a bestseller. An autobiography or at least a novel based on your own life experience . Our house did not burn down and at least Laurie had a happy childhood . He had to share his training to use the machine with a 17 year old boy - like Laurie said at least he was healthy in his youth - and here was this boy on dialysis already . I feel a bit like Pollyanna but you get the gist !
 I really hope your news improves . Good Luck !
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »