I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 05:17:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Gerald Slept Here!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gerald Slept Here!  (Read 102900 times)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »

I liked the one with the beard and sunglasses....and the one without the beard and sunglasses.....and the smiling dog! LOL

I can't decide!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Gerald Lively

« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »

Inspirational Story of a weight lifter DONT MISS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

source: http://www.chicoer.com/localsports/ci_3404453

Lively still living life to its fullest
By SCOTT WILSON-Sports Writer

Gerald Lively wants to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Well, at least he wants to go where no powerlifter has ever gone before. And considering all the obstacles he's overcome in his life thus far, it's not out of his reach.

While most people his age are working on sailing off into the sunset, the 67-year-old is living the life of someone half his age.

"My goal is to lift for three more years," he said. "I'll be 70. There aren't any records for a 70-year-old. All I have to do is get there, make some lifts and I'll have the records."

One distinction you won't find Lively flaunting, or showing any ill effects from, is his three bouts with cancer. In all three cases, you could say Lively won by KO.

His story is one of perseverance and courage in overcoming the debilitating effects of cancer, chemotherapy, radiation treatments and surgery.

"Those were interesting in and of themselves," Lively said.

Lively was a deputy county administrative officer in Chico before he moved to the frontiers of Alaska, where he was a city manager of Yakutat from 1989-1990. He left because "he didn't feel right."

He was later diagnosed with cancer, specifically Hodgkin's lymphoma, or Hodgkin's disease, in the winter of 1990.

Hodgkin's disease is a form of cancer that starts in lymphatic tissue. Lymphatic tissue includes the lymph nodes and related organs that are part of the body's immune and blood-forming systems.

Lively underwent surgery to have lymph nodes removed to determine if they were cancerous. After his prognosis he had chemotherapy for seven months. It took a toll on him physically.

"Imagine the worst hangover you have ever had," he said, "and have it last for seven months. It was miserable."

Lively said he had to have a blood test every two weeks to ensure his body was cancer free, and for three years it remained that way. In the summer of 1993 doctors diagnosed him with prostate cancer. He had surgery in August of that year to remove the afflicted area.

He also had emergency gallbladder surgery in 1994, which Lively said was, "the most intense pain I've ever felt." In 2000 cancer had struck again in his prostate, but instead of surgery he underwent 36 radiation treatments.

"Surgery is relatively quick," Lively said. "Radiation runs you down. They waited a while before they would let me exercise.

"I was in really terrible shape. I wasn't chomping at the bit, but my doctor said I had to get into an exercise program."

Lively took those words to heart, and began what has turned into one of his passions.

After working out at home, he joined Fit One in Chico and hired a trainer, Hillary Arthur, who is now the head coach of the Western Nevada Community College women's soccer team.

He had an auspicious start to his new weight-lifting regimen. He injured his ankle the day before his first day of working out, and he showed up on crutches.

"Someone coming in on crutches, you don't usually see that at a fitness facility," Arthur said. "He was so dedicated. He was determined and he was (angry), and because of those two, he was motivated.

"I consider him a great man. He's a fighter and an inspiration. He is very fiery, and that's what makes him Gerald."

Lively has also followed the direction of his first cousin and chief of police at Chico State University, Leslie Deniz. Deniz has the credentials to share information about powerlifting.

She was named the strongest woman in the world in 1981, she won a silver medal in the discus at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles and she had a long career spent in the weight room.

Their first meeting was more of a chance encounter than a planned training session.

"We ended up at the same gym," she said. "It was like, 'oh my gosh' and that's how we started working out together. It was nice to have a family member to work out with."

Deniz said she knew that Lively was having some health issues, and it was very nice to see him at the gym.

"It was also very inspirational to see somebody move on and still be in such high spirits," Deniz said. "He's very self motivated. I'm very proud of him."

After putting in enough training to be prepared for competition, Lively entered his first contest in February of 2004.

Lively owns three national and four state records for the American Powerlifting Association in the 65-69 age group, 242-pound class. He also owns a pair of state records in the 275-pound weight class for his age group.

He has the top squat (360 pounds), deadlift (300) and total combined for all three events (910) at the national level. He also has the top bench in the state (250). Lively is humble about his exploits despite his success.

"There are some guys my age who can out-lift me," Lively said, "but they're just not at the tournaments."

Competitive powerlifting combines the bench press, squat and deadlift. Each movement must be done precisely, lowering the weight and returning it through the designated range of motion. A referee decides if each lift meets the appropriate criteria.

"I went to my first tournament, got a few trophies and I was inspired," he said. "I was thrilled by the competition. Powerlifting is a full-body conditioning regimen. These guys that do full power are something to see. It's really inspirational to see."

In his second year of competition Lively competed in four tournaments total, all in Sacramento, sanctioned by the APA. He competed in local tournaments and won all three lifts.

All of this led to his record-setting tournament on Nov. 19. Lively also had some disappointment at the event. While attempting a new world squat record for his age group, his completed lift was disallowed by a referee's decision.

"I missed it by one-quarter of an inch, according to the referee," Lively said. "'Another quarter inch,' he said and I would have had it. Next time I go to a tournament there will be no doubt about my depth."

Lively isn't just a jock, he's also written an unpublished science fiction book and he has a Web site (www.livelyroots.com) that covers genealogy.

"I do lots of different things," he said. "I built half of the house I live in."

jaggu
View Public Profile
Find all posts by jaggu

#2    01-16-2006, 09:42 AM 

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »

:2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

You ARE an inspiration!  :2thumbsup;

:cuddle;

Aleta

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »

You truly are an inspiration!!!  :beer1;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Gerald Lively

« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »

Surgery today.  Didn't go smoothly.  Had surgery, Doc didn't like the results, went back in for second surgery.

gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »

I'm sorry your surgery did not go well, I hope you're sleeping comfortably tonight.

nice article- good for you and I hope you set some age 70 records.  :)

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »

Hope the second surgery was a success. Pretty fit for an old coot!

Galvo
Gerald Lively

« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »

It is one of those days when you can hear the wind.  This wind is a cold north wind, coming down the Feather River Canyon for 70 miles before it tops the ridge and hits us with its penetrating chill.  The African Daisies died back, shielding themselves behind the hardy Rockrose, a sure sign that winter has not finished with us, as brief as this winter was.

There are six, count them, indications that the neighbor’s dog is healthy.  I haven’t cleaned it up yet, too cold.

Joanie went to get the mail at our rural post office.  It’s inside a hardware store.  No doubt the bulk of the mail are catalogues. As a kid we used these in the outhouse.  It comes on rolls now.  What has the world come too?

One o’clock in the afternoon and I’m still in pajamas.  Hey, it’s the day after dialysis.  Joanie took Auggie with her.  She is probably regretting that about now.  Yep, he is one of those critters that has to sit in the driver’s lap.  Although he doesn’t bark much, he is a licker.  I have cleaned my glasses a thousand time a week, I know these things. 

Earlier I took Auggie out for a walk, about 200 yards up the road over by the neighbors.  Yep, Auggie returned the favor and dumped on their property.  Okay, so all of this is no big deal, it’s just my day off.  This is life worth living – in my pajamas.

gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
Dannyboy

« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »

Gerald,
Sorry to read about the grief and crap you're experiencing.
If I understand correctly, you were told home hemo with a catheter was "out" for you (while waiting for fistula to become useable)??    That is total BS.   I did that very thing.

---Dan

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2012, 06:24:30 PM »

Each clinic has their own empire of bureaucracy.  :thumbdown;

This life is very much worth living. And especially in pajamas. Or even in less!  :shy;

Carl will be home tomorrow. (He's on a camping trip with some of my students - they needed a man with them and I didn't fit that description!) Didn't sleep well last night, but so tired tonight, I'm sure the zzz's will come. Too much going on in my mind to shut the damn thing down last night. Hadn't had one of those wide-eyed nights in a long time. Maybe it's time to pull out the C-PAP again. I thought I was shut of it. Maybe not.

Lucky you HAVE that catheter,  :cuddle;

and Auggie. I like a little licker....only spelled with a "q"  :rofl; :rofl;

Aleta

Gerald Lively

« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »

Well, heck - - Here is the news:

This whole contraception debate is just so new-fangled, says billionaire investor and mega-funder to the super PAC supporting former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA) for President, Foster Friess.
In a simpler time, there were other ways to deal with female sexual desire. “Back in my day, they used Bayer Aspirin for contraceptives. The gals put it between their knees and it wasn’t that costly,” he said Thursday on MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Reports, setting the host back for moment.
The general conversation was about Santorum’s past statements about contraception, who once s aid that it was “harmful to women.”
--------

And all this time I was using Bufferin.  No wonder I have all these grandkids.

gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

"deal with female sexual desire"  :rofl; :rofl;

They don't know how to deal with it? Maybe they need some lessons!  :bow;

Gerald Lively

« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »

In two weeks I start another cycle of chemotherapy.  This in addition to dialysis sessions.

If you were to walk into the “Infusion” center, you might think it was a dialysis center.  They use the same chairs and the patients sit for three to four hours.  The difference is the atmosphere; the Infusion Center is in an indoor garden setting, (big windows and lotsa greenery) they serve any kind of fruit juice and they have dessert goodies for the patients.  I have contributed a carrot cake and other sweet snacks for those patents.  Almost all of them have a cancer condition worse than my problem.  And I entertain.  I have been known to walk in there with the “thought for the day” pinned to my shirt.  I’ll waltz around the room for all to see.

The nurses are the best and I usually get a hug when I show up.

I tried to get the Supervising Dialysis Nurse to come over to the Infusion Center to show him that Diapysis Centers do not have to be so grim in appearance. No cigar, he wouldn’t go there.  Instead they bought a boom-box to play a little music.  The Infusion Center brings in music talent from the University to play, usually soft acoustical guitar.

The bad news is they will have to stab my right arm since my left arm is occupied with this fistula business.

One month beginning in March, then nothing for six months.  After that we get to do it again.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »

:flower;

I take a friend to get her infusions (5 days out of 21). I sure wish her center were as nice as yours sounds.  :cuddle;

There are a group of us who rotate driving her. Another round starts Monday. She is tired of it. And she worries that we are tired of driving her. Au contraire. I don't think I'm the only one who enjoys the time spent with her. Friends help friends who need the help.

Hang in there, Gerald.

Aleta

Gerald Lively

« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »

I had that double surgery last Monday for the fistula.  My forearm is growing, I’ll look like a one-armed Popeye if it continues to grow at this rate.  Is this what I am supposed to anticipate?

No, I haven’t seen the doctor since the surgery.

And yes, it smarts a bit.

gerald

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »

Swelling? Doesn't sound too good.  >:(

I don't recall Carl's arm swelling after his surgery, but it was only ONE, not two. When do you go back to see the surgeon? I hope it is not too far out in the future.

You have quite a bit on your plate. And it doesn't sound too appetizing.   :P

Aleta

del
Elite Member

« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »

Gerald, Hubby always tried to "lighten" the atmosphere in the dialysis unit with his jokes, comments and stories.  He always said he felt good if he made one person laugh for a few minutes and forget about their other problems.  One day there was a patient visiting and a member of his family was with him.  They did not appreciate the jokes and wrote a letter to the management complaining that it was a clown show not dialysis!!   The management brought it to the nurses attention but the management and the nurses basically ignored the complaint.  No body else ever complained.  Hubby still gets hugs whenever he visits the unit.  Sad thing is all of the other patients that did dialysis at the same time he did - Tues, Thurs, Sat mornings have all passed away.  The last one died a couple of weeks ago.

Gerald Lively

« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »

del said, "He always said he felt good if he made one person laugh for a few minutes and forget about their other problems."

Amen!

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »

I have often said that I cannot believe the difference between the way cancer patients are treated vs. dialysis patients.  I truly believe that this is because dialysis is most often given in a for-profit setting, whereas cancer centers are most often attached to hospitals.   I know that around here, hospital-attached cancer centers are springing up everywhere and competing to see how many patient and care partner amenities they can provide.  When my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, Susan G. Komen foundation gave her free access to massages, yoga classes and all sorts of other alternative therapies for which a dialysis patient can only dream of.

I had the opportunity last summer to visit a not-for-profit dialysis center.  Fast Internet, TVs with more than just a handful of channels, a beautiful view, nice decor, pillows and blankets, and coffee, water and ice chips provided.  Diabetics got juice and crackers as well.  I came back home disgusted with my pit of a center and soon after that, I went to home dialysis.

I also think (and here's where I could be wrong) that dialysis centers suffer because most of us are on Medicare.  They get paid a pittance for each of our treatments so there isn't a lot left to go around for amenities.  But again, there's that for-profit motive that also gives them the motivation to skimp wherever possible.

In two weeks I start another cycle of chemotherapy.  This in addition to dialysis sessions.

If you were to walk into the “Infusion” center, you might think it was a dialysis center.  They use the same chairs and the patients sit for three to four hours.  The difference is the atmosphere; the Infusion Center is in an indoor garden setting, (big windows and lotsa greenery) they serve any kind of fruit juice and they have dessert goodies for the patients.  I have contributed a carrot cake and other sweet snacks for those patents.  Almost all of them have a cancer condition worse than my problem.  And I entertain.  I have been known to walk in there with the “thought for the day” pinned to my shirt.  I’ll waltz around the room for all to see.

The nurses are the best and I usually get a hug when I show up.

I tried to get the Supervising Dialysis Nurse to come over to the Infusion Center to show him that Diapysis Centers do not have to be so grim in appearance. No cigar, he wouldn’t go there.  Instead they bought a boom-box to play a little music.  The Infusion Center brings in music talent from the University to play, usually soft acoustical guitar.

The bad news is they will have to stab my right arm since my left arm is occupied with this fistula business.

One month beginning in March, then nothing for six months.  After that we get to do it again.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »

I don't know about the US but I do know that in the UK, that the 'little luxuries' in many cancer units are paid for by charities and individual fund-raising.  Cancer is high prominence, kidney failure isn't.  When we moved to the US, I had a pile of good clothing that I took to donate to a cancer-consignment store.  They were not interested in taking it.  I took it to a store collecting to raise money for mentally-disabled adults.  They were very grateful for it.  It also seems to me that the kidney charities are not so prominently advertised as the cancer charities.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Gerald Lively

« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »

There is a lot of talk on the forum about death.  This reminds me of the wives-tale about renal failure being fatal.  Well Folks, I am not ready to retire from life and I will advise all to get the thought of death off your not-busy-enough minds.  This sort of pre-occupation will subtract from the sum total of allotted life-days.

You are here to live life; not to contemplate the end of days. 

Age does change us:  I am too young to sit all day and watch reruns of “Murder She Wrote”, but I am too old to chase the ladies, ride the Harley and party all night.  Jeez, I do miss those days, at least the chasing the ladies part.  Catch a few, miss a few – what a game it was.  Why, I remember this beauty who . . . . . . better not say.  Delicious.

So what to do?  Give a little.  Yes, give!  There are all sorts of people out there who are worse off than you or “we” are.  Why not ease their discomfort?  Tell a joke, make an ass out of yourself if it’ll get a laugh – because a laugh is the best medicine – so says Reader’s Digest of old.  Get someone to laugh so hard they wet their pants.  Or you wet yours.

Beachbum wants to end it all.  Another thread talks about life expectancy on dialysis. All downers. 

Hey, plant a tree for some person who isn’t born yet but might enjoy the shade of that tree someday.  Pet a dog, feed a starving cat, ignore this contemporary ban on free speech called political correctness and tell someone how good they look today.  Make ‘em smile.  Ask them how you can help.

Death is a bummer; life is the way to go.  Strive for self-actualization.  Paint a picture, write an article or a book, tell your partner that the very sight of him/her makes you horny.

Quit hanging on to the handrails . . . Let go. Surrender. Go for the ride of your life. Do it every day.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin.

One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats.

Above all, try something.

Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Renal Failure - 2011

Eugene Fitch Ware
del
Elite Member

« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

I like your way of thinking.  Hubby usually says  "what's the point of point of whining - nobody wants to hear it"  It only makes you and the audience miserable.  (Although I have had to give a few pep talks over the years)
We both realized a few years ago that we should live life to the fullest we can and appreciate every moment.   :beer1;

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »

Quit hanging on to the handrails . . . Let go. Surrender. Go for the ride of your life. Do it every day.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

With my arthritic knees and lack of 1/2 of my balance mechanism (lost my left middle ear many, many years ago), I'll stick with holding the hand-rails, thank you.

But otherwise...   :2thumbsup;  :thumbup;  :2thumbsup;  :thumbup; :clap; :clap; :clap;

Aleta (who plans on getting up to Newfoundland soon to meet Del and Walter)

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2012, 05:36:17 PM »

I can laugh as much as I want, find something funny, but wetting my pamts just isn't an option - I wish, because that would mean that I had some kidney function!  :2thumbsup;

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
del
Elite Member

« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

Wetting his pants isn't an option for hubby either!!  He hasn't peed for 11 years!!!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »