I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  OOOOOUCH!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OOOOOUCH!!!  (Read 10839 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: December 12, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »

It seriously seems my medical issues will never end. This time it's an actual injury and it HURTS! I got up today with the most severe pain in my shoulder, and through the day it only got worse. It's a very sharp stabbing pain at the very top of my  shoulder and it's worse when I move my arm. I saw a doctor this evening and it seems I have a shoulder separation. It seems to have happened from me pulling my scooter up on it's centre stand. I have to press down on a foot pedal as I'm pulling the bike back to get it on the stand, and the bike is heavy. There is a lot of force that goes through my shoulders when I do that. I will have to only use the little kick stand on the side that I can put down with one foot. I'm on pain meds and my arm is in a sling, and I'm supposed to follow up with my regular doctor in a week to see how things are going and do further evaluation. The pain is almost unbearable. It reminds me of the pain when I had my first tunneled chest catheter put in. I sure hope this heals soon!

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »

Well, did they put your shoulder back in its socket like they do on TV? :P

Are the pain meds working pretty well?  It must be hard to get decent sleep in such a state.  Is it swollen?

At least you didn't fall off the scooter!  THAT would have REALLY hurt!

I hope you feel better really soon.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »

Well, did they put your shoulder back in its socket like they do on TV? :P

Are the pain meds working pretty well?  It must be hard to get decent sleep in such a state.  Is it swollen?

At least you didn't fall off the scooter!  THAT would have REALLY hurt!

I hope you feel better really soon.

Yeah, the pain meds are working fairly well. My doctor put me on Vicodin (the GOOD stuff :)). It is kind of swollen, but it's not too bad. The pain has eased somewhat with my arm mostly immobilized by the sling, even though it's very awkward doing things with one arm. Several years ago, I actually did fall off my scooter when I was moving over to let an ambulance go by on a very narrow road. The ambulance turned around and picked me up and had another unit respond to their original call. The driver of the ambulance said he saw me fly through the air about 20 feet before I hit the pavement face first (thank God I was wearing a full-face helmet). I came away from that one with a broken wrist and a lot of road rash.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:42 PM »

What kind of scooter do you have?  I know nothing about scooters, so educate me!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:50:08 AM »

I agree - ouch. And I hate to say this but shoulder injuries always seem to take a long time to heal, mainly becuase you cannot help moving your arm. All the best for a speedy recovery.
We live in the bush in Australia but I don't ride the 2 wheeler ag bikes because of their weight. By the time my short legs reach the ground, the bike is too heavy for me to hold up! We recently bought a 4 wheeled bike - love it! (No stands required  :) )

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:36:52 AM »

What kind of scooter do you have?  I know nothing about scooters, so educate me!

It's a small gas powered motor scooter. It has an engine about half the size of a typical lawn mower engine, but it will go about 40mph and is fully street legal. Here is a picture of it. I was told by my doctor that this could take at least 6 to 8 weeks to fully heal. I hope he's wrong and it heals quicker, but I know realistically he's probably right.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »

Adam,
I injured my shoulder in October and I'm about 80% back to normal now. When you get your rehabilitation exercises, do them diligently. That is the key! I have started strength training now. Also, alternate heat and cold on the shoulder. Heat it before any exercises and ice it afterward. The heat will send blood to the site to help in stretching and the cold will reduce inflammation.

Best wishes! I know how aggravating it is!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »

I had my followup with my primary dr and got the results of the X-rays. The good news is I don't have a shoulder separation, but the bad news is I may have a torn rotator cuff. I had an MRI done, and I should get the results of that next week. I hope it's just a minor tear that can be treated with physical therapy, but if it's a severe tear, I may have to have surgery. I'll keep you all updated.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »

Ah, a classic "good news, bad news" sorta thing...

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 06:29:05 AM »

Adam, a torn rotator cuff still hurts really bad and can take a LONG time to heal.  It happened to me in early October and I had no injury.  It can happen sometimes just from repetitive movement.  Mine was caused from using a fishing rod and pulling potatoes out of the ground.  Took a good 6 weeks to get better and I still have numbness and tingling in my thumb and finger.  I am waiting for an appointment to see a neuorologist (spelling) because my doctor thinks there is a pinched nerve from the rotator cuff strain.  There are lots of exercises you can do that really help and physiotherapy works really well too as well as the alternating heat and cold like willowtree said.  Take care and hope it gets better soon.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »