I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Muscle aches following dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Muscle aches following dialysis  (Read 5825 times)
mommak

« on: December 11, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »

My husband says his joints and muscle aches.  It is not a cramp,  it is achy and weakness.  He said that yesterday before dialysis it was gone but that he hurts again today. The other times it has not been as severe,  but this time it seems worse.  He said they gave him a double dose of iron. He asked if he was anemic,  and the nurse said "all dialysis patients are anemic" the double dose was because he missed his Thursday visit due to diarrhea. 
Our home health nurses have not said anything about anemia from his labwork. 
Could he have too much iron?  Is there anything we should do?  Should we keep him away from magnets?  :)
iketchum

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »

I do not think the iron is for anemia, they give epo or arenesp for that. The iron is for the new blood that is made from the epo.
mommak

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »

I guess i just assumed iron.  He doesn't know what it was,  which is a whole different set of problems with this particular center,  that WILL be addressed on Monday. 
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »

I think iron can do strange things.  I dont know if this is one of them, but i will say that those particular aches seem to be happening to hubby now and he has just been "loaded" with iron for 2 weeks.  Thats something i may look into as well.  I just feel so bad when they have to go through these pains as well as D.  Makes me sad.  D wouldnt be so bad (well for hubby anyway) if only he didnt have this danged dry weight cramping crap he's going through again.  Sorry, goen off on my own direction, but ................. could it be just more fluid take off than needed???  Wishing you some good comfort...

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 08:54:57 AM »

I'd point out to his nurses that not all dialysis patients are anemic.  I've been on and off dialysis now for about 20 years, and I was only anemic for the first few months, while my body was getting used to the whole dialysis thing after being so sick for so long.  I'm one of those people who have to have heparin put into the needles, so that the first needle won't clot while they're putting in the second needle.  Anemic people don't clot.. *LOL*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »