I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:52:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  I just had a scary incident
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I just had a scary incident  (Read 1918 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: December 11, 2011, 12:50:49 AM »

So, every Saturday or Sunday, I ride my scooter over to a friend's house over in the next town and spend the day there. It is normally about a 30min trip, but because the river is flooded, the normal route was impassable. So I had to drive in a big loop, passing through three other towns and approach the town from the other side, where there is no flood water. It becomes about an hour and a half drive. The last few days, it's been barely above 30deg during the day, and below 20deg at night. Going there late this morning, I was fine. I was pretty cold when I got there, but I just sat in front of the wood stove with a big warm fluffy cat in my lap, and I warmed right up. I left around 10 pm so it was pretty cold by then. I was driving along slowly because I was on an unlit country road at night, taking a route that I'm unfamiliar with, so I was already getting very cold. Then, in the middle of nowhere, the throttle on my scooter sticks open. the cable and the linkage had actually frozen. I had to hit the emergency kill switch so I could stop, but there was no way I could get in unstuck. By this time I was freezing so bad I felt like I was going to shake myself to death. I tried calling my friend who I had just left, but I couldn't reach him. I knew I was in a dangerous situation, so I had to call 911. Because I'm unfamiliar with the route and was driving by landmarks, I couldn't give an accurate description of where I was, and it took the police about an hour to find me. By the time they finally got to me, I was severely hypothermic. The cops took me to the closest town where there was an ambulance waiting, and I was then transported back to my town to the hospital there. They had me wrapped from head to toe in warm blankets and gave me warm IV fluid as well. After a couple hours, my core body temp was back to normal and they let me go home. I had no way to get home, but two local police officers volunteered to drive me home. My scooter was towed, and I'm going to have to pick that up later. I've always been able to handle the cold very well, but I learned tonight that ANYONE is vulnerable to extreme cold if you're out in it too long.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:06:03 AM »

Wow that was so scary Adam, I am glad you had the sense to call 911 you could have died. Glad things turned out OK and for the police to take you home shows there are some nice people in the world.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:15:39 AM »

Yikes!,....

What a story!....

Don't think cold temps. and kidney failure make good companions... My mum freezes at the slightest chill...

Great that you're okay, and kudos to the police for looking after you so well...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

Oh man, that's scary! So glad you got through it ok!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »

Glad you're okay.  That would have terrified me.  You're brave to face the cold and take fon new routes, though.  Good for you on that account.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »

holly goodness!!!!!!!!!!  I hope that you wont do that again!!!  The staying out in the cold part of it...  That scarred me and i wasnt even there!!!!!!!!!!!!  Im so glad your ok and you called in time...   :grouphug;   Hopen yhour warm and toasty now,,,  :grouphug;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »