I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Binders
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Binders  (Read 22562 times)
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« on: January 28, 2007, 04:26:57 AM »

Just wondering if anybody knows ( I'm sure one of us will), if you forget to take your binders with your meal should you

a) Have them as soon as you remember

b) Wait to you eat your next meal and then just take them like normal.

or any other options.

I usually have spare with me in my handbag, but went out a lil more dressed up than normal the last two nights and used different handbags and forgot to change them over.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 04:44:53 AM »

Just wondering if anybody knows ( I'm sure one of us will), if you forget to take your binders with your meal should you

or any other options.

I usually have spare with me in my handbag, but went out a lil more dressed up than normal the last two nights and used different handbags and forgot to change them over.

Binders taken after the fact will NOT matter. What binders do is when taken WITH your meal (right before or right after) they bind with the phosphate IN your food in your small intestine.

As it says in the book "Kidney Friendly Comfort Foods" (Newly Updated 2006 Version):
Phosphate binders work by binding to the phosphorus in food before it is absorbed in the digestive system. This "binding" action is like a magnet sticking to a refridgerator. Phosphate binders stop the phosphorus before it can be absorbed in the blood, and help patients keep blood phosphorus levels within the propoer range. Since phosphorus is quickly absorbed from digested food in the intestines, many patients must take phosphate binders with each meal to help lower phosphorus levels in the blood.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:46:37 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 04:54:41 AM »

Some binders work better in low pH, others work better in high pH.

Here's a good illustration:

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »

I have been told to take the renagel right before I eat and then right after to take a couple of tums. When I am out to eat it never fails that someone will suggest I get on prilosec instead of taken the tums all the time. When you try to explain about phosphorus they just ::)  Boxmann55

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 02:06:37 PM »

or any other options.

Binders taken after the fact will NOT matter. What binders do is when taken WITH your meal (right before or right after) they bind with the phosphate IN your food in your small intestine.

As it says in the book "Kidney Friendly Comfort Foods" (Newly Updated 2006 Version):
Phosphate binders work by binding to the phosphorus in food before it is absorbed in the digestive system. This "binding" action is like a magnet sticking to a refrigerator. Phosphate binders stop the phosphorus before it can be absorbed in the blood, and help patients keep blood phosphorus levels within the proper range. Since phosphorus is quickly absorbed from digested food in the intestines, many patients must take phosphate binders with each meal to help lower phosphorus levels in the blood.

I know the working of the the binders, but is there "leeway" time, obviously it takes a bit of time before the food gets to the small intestine.Just wondering that's all, sometimes you go out and eat and may be home within an hour. Just saying is it worth taking them then, or just forget about it, cause they aren't gonna work.

shay_pcb

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »

My dietician told me that you need to take them an hour after you eat if you forget to take them when or before you eat.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »

My doc said if you don't remember them with the meal, don't bother.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 07:44:48 PM »

Going to my GP today, see if he has got any insight.

bluedove57

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:51:09 PM »

I take 6 binders per meal and swallow them as I eat spreading them out. How much binders do  you take?
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 08:08:17 PM »

Going to my GP today, see if he has got any insight.

Tamara, how did you go finding the right answer?  I was told that they had to be taken with the meal. Definitely NOT after an hour of eating.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:51:51 PM »

both my neph and dietition have said binders need to be taken within 30 minutes of eating if you forget to take them with the meal.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 12:09:06 AM »

I have been curious about the time too but just to be safe I take them with the meal itself. One thing I wondered about is what if it is a HUGE meal and you take more than one binder .. do you take one at the beginning and one half way through or at the end or what?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
shay_pcb

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 12:15:15 AM »

My dietician told me that you need to take them an hour after you eat if you forget to take them when or before you eat.
I think I worded that wrong. I meant that I was told that it was okay to take them within the hour after you eat, if you forget to take them with your meal....Tamara, Did you ever find out from your GP??
tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 07:00:30 PM »

Sorry for the delay in answering, the post got lost ( for me it did anyway lol)

Anyway he said it was better too take some even if its an hour after your meal even if it is a minimal amount of phosphorous being binded ,better than none.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »

Sorry for the delay in answering, the post got lost ( for me it did anyway lol)

Anyway he said it was better too take some even if its an hour after your meal even if it is a minimal amount of phosphorous being binded ,better than none.
ah okay thanks :) :thumbup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 12:55:37 PM »

In the UK some sweet companies occasionally distribute special edition sweets in small flip top plastic containers.  I have taken one of these containers (eaten sweets) and converted into a binders holder (the one I'm using at the moment holds six) and make two holes into the bottom of he container thread through a metal ring and attach it to my key-ring, these binders are for emergencies only, and only to be used when i forget to take tablets with me............ So, if you have your house or car keys with you, you also have your binders, I don't know about you , but I Always  have my keys with me.

Has anyone else came up with any unusual ideas they could share?

Bill.

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »

In the UK some sweet companies occasionally distribute special edition sweets in small flip top plastic containers.  I have taken one of these containers (eaten sweets) and converted into a binders holder (the one I'm using at the moment holds six) and make two holes into the bottom of he container thread through a metal ring and attach it to my key-ring, these binders are for emergencies only, and only to be used when i forget to take tablets with me............ So, if you have your house or car keys with you, you also have your binders, I don't know about you , but I Always  have my keys with me.

Bill.
I am taking pics now of what I use since you brought this up ;) Okay .. the brown one is a mini M&M's candy holder and the white one is for Renagel pills. That container I got from my dietitian ;)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:19:39 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 01:36:41 PM »

Bill.
I am taking pics now of what I use since you brought this up ;) Okay .. the brown one is a mini M&M's candy holder and the white one is for Renagel pills. That container I got from my dietitian ;)

Angie,
The m&m container is a great idea. I have a"pill box" but it doesn't hold many. M&M's for me....yeah  I get to eat them first! :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:39:59 PM by Wattle » Logged

PKD
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »

Angie,
The m&m container is a great idea. I have a"pill box" but it doesn't hold many. M&M's for me....yeah  I get to eat them first! :2thumbsup;

Ya, they are mini's so that is why I thought that wasn't such a bad treat! ;)  :2thumbsup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 01:40:26 PM »

I got a Renagel one like that, though mines green.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »

Ya I have 1 green one and 3 white ones! lol I keep asking for more because that way I got one for every coat and my dialysis bag! ;)  I used to use film bottles which were bigger than those tiny pill containers you can buy but small enough not to be a nuisense to carry ;) but these renagel bottles are cool cuz they go with your keys! ;) :2thumbsup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »

:urcrazy; Is Renegal the same as Caltrate?   :urcrazy;

PKD
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 01:49:36 PM »

No renagel is sevelamer hydrochloride. 

Both as well as a host of others can be used as a binder though.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »

No renagel is sevelamer hydrochloride. 

Both as well as a host of others can be used as a binder though.

Thanks Bigsky,

I have not heard of Renegal being used here before.

PKD
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 01:53:58 PM »

I searched and couldn't find anything at first. Boy it was hard. Then I came across drugs.com lol:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/sevelamer.html for Renagel.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/c/caltrate.html for Caltrate.

Is Renagel just a Canadian drug? I know there are different types and every patient has different needs.

There are different Phosphate binders:

Here even is a good article on the Renagel website About Hyperphosphatemia in Chronic Kidney Disease:
http://www.renagel.com/patient/disease/ren_p_pt_disease.asp
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:03:00 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »