I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:43:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Binders
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Binders  (Read 21800 times)
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 02:03:59 PM »

I searched and couldn't find anything at first. Boy it was hard. Then I came across drugs.com lol:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/sevelamer.html for Renagel.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/c/caltrate.html for Caltrate.

Is Renagel just a Canadian drug? I know there are different types and every patient has different needs.

There are different Phosphate binders:

*   Calcium-Based Phosphate Binders
    *   Aluminum-Based Phosphate Binders
    *   Aluminum- and Calcium-Free Phosphate Binders

Renagel is made by Genzyme,  A US company based in Cambridge MA.

Not sure if many use the aluminum based binders anymore since the possible link of aluminum buildup to alzheimers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:06:38 PM by BigSky » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 02:07:27 PM »

Not sure if many use the aluminum based binders anymore since the possible link of aluminum buildup to alzheimers.
Really?? Good thing I am sticking to Tums then  :o

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 11:08:49 PM »

Wattle...

yes, we have Renegel here... my doc has just made out a script for me. I was using Caltrate but my Calcium went up over 2.5 so we are trying Renegel to keep the Calcium down. I am also using alutabs for phosphate binders... my aluminium was a bit high but they don't seem too concerned (hmmmm).

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 12:42:23 AM »

Wattle...

yes, we have Renegel here... my doc has just made out a script for me. I was using Caltrate but my Calcium went up over 2.5 so we are trying Renegel to keep the Calcium down. I am also using alutabs for phosphate binders... my aluminium was a bit high but they don't seem too concerned (hmmmm).

:P Thanks Richard,
All the different drug names get me confused. I know Alutabs.. they have been around forever! I am a bit concerned about taking them.  I might forget what is wrong with me. lol  ::)
Are the TUMS the same we have here for heartburn?

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 01:34:02 AM »

Yes the same TUms but if your Calcium is high then something like Renagel is a lot better ;)

See they give you what ever is best for you .. some binders have calcium as well but no all patients have low calcium (depends on if you have your parathyroids as well still and stuff like that) etc.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »

ANYONE reading this , didnt want to start another thread, when you take the binders (eg renegel,) i have been told after meals. But my question is , what if you tend to snack during the day rather that eat a meal , for eg , if you had a slice of toast for breakfast , would you take one then ? I'm interested to know if its sort of, take them on a full stomach or not ? Anyone know ????????? :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MJB

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »

I am taking pics now of what I use since you brought this up ;) Okay .. the brown one is a mini M&M's candy holder and the white one is for Renagel pills. That container I got from my dietitian ;)

I got a Renagel one like that, though mines green.

:urcrazy; Is Renegal the same as Caltrate?   :urcrazy;
I searched and couldn't find anything at first. Boy it was hard. Then I came across drugs.com lol:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/sevelamer.html for Renagel.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/c/caltrate.html for Caltrate.

Is Renagel just a Canadian drug? I know there are different types and every patient has different needs.

There are different Phosphate binders:

Here even is a good article on the Renagel website About Hyperphosphatemia in Chronic Kidney Disease:
http://www.renagel.com/patient/disease/ren_p_pt_disease.asp

Hey Angie,

I take both renagel and Fosrenol.  Fosrenol is rather new from what I have been told.  I take the Renagel(when I remember) before meals and the Fosrenol after meals if I forget. I was told by my dietition that Fosrenol only works after meals. I really have a hard time with them because they are the size of a silver dollar and 4 times as thick. You have to chew them as you would tums. It really did help my phosphorus when took them. I find it easier to swallow a bunch of pills though.

Mike

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
lamillinger913

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 10:50:04 AM »

I started with Renagel and had to take 3 with each meal to keep the phosphorus under control. But they just didn't agree with me. I found myself feeling so sick to my stomach I could barely drag myself to work. When I mentioned this to the nurse practitioner, they gave me a sample of Fosrenol. It has had no bad side effects for me and really does a better job of controlling my phosphorus. I take a 500 mg tablet after a meal and break it in half for a substantial snack. Just what works for me, not necessarily a recommendation for everyone!

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 11:56:06 AM »

Hey Angie,

I take both renagel and Fosrenol.  Fosrenol is rather new from what I have been told.  I take the Renagel(when I remember) before meals and the Fosrenol after meals if I forget. I was told by my dietition that Fosrenol only works after meals. I really have a hard time with them because they are the size of a silver dollar and 4 times as thick. You have to chew them as you would tums. It really did help my phosphorus when took them. I find it easier to swallow a bunch of pills though.

Mike
Thx for that! That has a lot to do probably with the diagram on the first page of this thread (absorption in different parts of the intestine). It does make sense! Thanks!  :thx;

ANYONE reading this , didnt want to start another thread, when you take the binders (eg renegel,) i have been told after meals. But my question is , what if you tend to snack during the day rather that eat a meal , for eg , if you had a slice of toast for breakfast , would you take one then ? I'm interested to know if its sort of, take them on a full stomach or not ? Anyone know ????????? :thumbup;
That was my question before as well! But it took awhile for me to figure it out! If you are good with your phosphate all day long then small snacks you don't have to take anything. If you haven't been good then try to snack all in one hour so that the binders will work for you!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 02:55:39 PM »

I was told to take them anytime I eat.  The doc even added this into the prescription to make sure there was some for snacks.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »

My scrip says "meals and snacks" as well.  I now take 3 phoslo with every meal, 2 with every snack.  If I have a really big meal, like a sit-down dinner with dessert, I take 3 before and 2 after.  And if I can't stand the cravings anymore, and have something that's really high in phos, like a chocolate bar with peanut butter, or cheese and crackers, then I take 2 before and 2 right after.

It's working for me - my last phos was 4.4

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

shay_pcb

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 07:16:57 PM »

Mine also says meals and snacks. I only take 1 with my meals and snacks, unless there's lots of cheese or whole wheat or chocolate, then I take 2. I try to take them before I eat or after my first few bites, but sometimes I forget and take them afterwards. As long as it's within the hour after, then I'm ok. My levels are also good every month.

I used to take Fosrenol, but I hated it. I thought it was nasty, and it made me nauseous after chewing it. I always "forgot" to take it and eventually asked for something else.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 10:21:59 PM »

:P    O.K   How many do I take with a latte? Just coffee.... (I know i'm really bad!) no cake. I normally take two at breakfast & lunch and three with dinner. Is one enough or should I take two?   >:D

PKD
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2007, 11:41:24 PM »

:P    O.K   How many do I take with a latte? Just coffee.... (I know i'm really bad!) no cake. I normally take two at breakfast & lunch and three with dinner. Is one enough or should I take two?   >:D
It all depends on your bloodlabs. Just like the dietitian goes by ;)

I take Tums and I was told that there is a MAX you can take. So I have to really figure it out. I have it all worked out well though and love to take my chocolate flavoured Tums (Coacoa&Creme)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 11:45:55 PM »

I LIKE the look of that Tums!  I haven't seen it at yet.  I just have the regular extra-strength fruit-flavoured ones.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2007, 06:21:38 AM »

The dialysis center doctor came by yesterday and snuck a prescription onto me while I was sleeping for Renagel.  Since I get an upset tummy taking Renagel, I was PISSED!  WTF!  Lay a prescription on the chair's table and do not even discuss it with me?  I had a fit when I left the center!  How dare they give me a prescription and just lay it down by me!  They NEED to discuss these things with me, not just assume I am going to be a robot patient and get it filled just because the doctor said!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 08:38:51 AM »

The dialysis center doctor came by yesterday and snuck a prescription onto me while I was sleeping for Renagel.  Since I get an upset tummy taking Renagel, I was PISSED!  WTF!  Lay a prescription on the chair's table and do not even discuss it with me?  I had a fit when I left the center!  How dare they give me a prescription and just lay it down by me!  They NEED to discuss these things with me, not just assume I am going to be a robot patient and get it filled just because the doctor said!
I would be pissed as well! I would simply refuse to take it! Wouldn't be the first time I have refused a med by the Neph's. I just explain to them why. Hopefully they don't put me down as "noncompliant"

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
shay_pcb

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »

I've been put down as noncompliant in the hospital for them trying to give me meds I didn't need. I told my DR about it and he got mad at them!! lol
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »

Ya I took myself off my BP meds and I changed how many Tums I take .. but I wouldn't recommend just anyone doing that. I have spent years with my health problems so I know what works for me and I know what meds NOT to alter.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 12:58:09 AM »

I wouldn't just take a script left for me with no discussion with the doctor! That seems wrong to be. I'd def call the doctor/unit manager and let them know that you would have perhaps rather been woken up (though I can understand them not waking you) and talked to about the script, or had them leave a note to call them when you could to discuss a medication change.

Hmm I am worried now that I am about to go on Renegel that a lot of people seem to have side effects!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »

They all know in the unit I am mean when awakened, but the doctor came by later and did not even tell me he left a prescription for me. I am going to complain very loudly to the director of the center.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »

Man-O-Man!!!  Would you believe, i have been taking Tums for 1 month and my phosphorus is down to 3.3, 3.3 I SAID...  :o  My PD nurse had to look three times to make sure she was looking at MY lab results, lol,  but of course, with that, my calcium is up too so they are probably going to take my Tums away and give me some other binder, that i cant afford, and my phos. will go right back up again,   >:(  Well, at least i have gotten 1 good lab results, lol  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2007, 08:15:21 PM »

Man-O-Man!!!  Would you believe, i have been taking Tums for 1 month and my phosphorus is down to 3.3, 3.3 I SAID...  :o  My PD nurse had to look three times to make sure she was looking at MY lab results, lol,  but of course, with that, my calcium is up too so they are probably going to take my Tums away and give me some other binder, that i cant afford, and my phos. will go right back up again,   >:(  Well, at least i have gotten 1 good lab results, lol  ;)

Fantastic!!!!

I have the same problem with a higher calcium, so I mix up the binders: tums and renagel.
Even with a higher calcium blood level, your calcium x phosphorus product may still be in the acceptable range:  55 or less.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 01:48:38 AM »

Fantastic!!!!

I have the same problem with a higher calcium, so I mix up the binders: tums and renagel.
Even with a higher calcium blood level, your calcium x phosphorus product may still be in the acceptable range:  55 or less.

Zach, Is your Phosphate measured the same as ours? mmol/L and what is the code for calcium/phosphorus? I am trying harder to understand my results and take a more active role in controlling them. I take Caltrate as my binder. The doctors have never given me an option for a different one. I want to educate myself, so I am able to ask more detailed questions during the consults.   :P

PKD
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2007, 06:20:33 AM »

i take renegel, which i know bothers some people. my blood calcium is high so i'm not supposed to use tums. which i use anyway, once or twice a month if the heartburn is bad. i'm also not supposed to eat dairy products because of the calcium. (i didn't eat the ice cream, you didn't really see that, ice cream, what ice cream...........no there wasn't any ice cream) the doctor pronounced my blood work great this month, so something must be working. which just proves the dietitian WRONG, since she stated a flat "if you eat any cheese ever your phosphorus will never go down" i just love it when that happens!!!!!  ;D (who, me, eat cheese?)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »