I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 04:26:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Biopsy Today
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biopsy Today  (Read 4243 times)
Roxy

« on: November 29, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »

Having a biopsy today on my transplanted kidney to see if Im rejecting. Surprisingly not as nervous as I thought I would be, but Im guessing thats going to change once Im there. They're thinking the rise in creatinine might be from the cyclosporine, but they also did blood tests/tissue typing to see if my body has created new antibodies towards the kidney. Hopefully we'll have the results of the biopsy this afternoon. I think the worst part is always the waiting game to find out results, but at least it's just one day. Going to take my computer with me( if they let me use it) in hopes that the 5hours of lying flat with a weight on my stomach can at least go by a little faster!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »

Wishing you all the best with results and biopsy itself...  Hope your computer will keep ya occupied so the time will go faster.  Blessings  :pray;  :cuddle;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:37:58 AM »

Roxy,  my fingers legs and arms are all crossed for you. Hope things go OK.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »

:cuddle;    Calming and healing thoughts going your way.  We're here.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Roxy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 01:57:09 PM »

Thanks all. still in the hospital with the ten pound sandbag on my stomach. looks like we will have most results by the morning, they say its likely rejection though but we will see.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »

Darn it, blasted sandbags and talk of rejection. Hoping big hopes that your kidney pulls through.  Come on bean. 
Now let me see, stuck in hospital and your computer obviously works, ... is there a games section in this board somewhere?
Can't find one, but there's one at KidneyKorner, here, try these:  http://kidneykorner.com/smfbb/index.php?PHPSESSID=a608b4c1768ba17d4fdfbf82afa2ee42&action=arcade
(not that I've ever tried them, but games are fun, they say.
Also Gregory's been talking about some kind of jukebox website he was sent.  I'll ask him to send me the URL.
big love.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »

Jukebox:
http://upchucky.org/JukeCity/1940/OldJukes/player.htm

This takes you to the hits of 1940.  If you want to change the year, you could change it in the URL (or try using the search field...)
e.g.
http://upchucky.org/JukeCity/1999/OldJukes/player.htm

Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Roxy

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »

Thank you. It is acute and chronic rejection. I had a hickman catheter placed today. I begin  a series of 5 rounds of plasmapharesis tomorrow to try to wash out the antibodies  that ive built against the kidney along with a series of steroids to treat the acute rejection. I will be in the hospital for a week or so.  not sure what my creatinine is at this point, but I'm hoping to get more information tomorrow.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »

Awww Roxy, I am sorry to hear this. Your transplant was right after Jenna's (Jan. 2007) and I think you're both the same age (she just turned 26 a week ago.) I hope they can rescue your kidney and keep it working for a long time. Jenna's transplant was also rejecting - at 3 years post-transplant, but she had several weeks of intense treatments of IVIG and something else, I need to look back in my posts to see what it was, and it apparently worked, because she has been stable since (nearly 2 years.) The bad thing is she lost much of her kidney function and has been steady at 3.1 creatinine - GFR 17. She is not on dialysis and so far feels good. Lately she's had to add blood pressure meds. I hope you get some good results - take care and please let us know how you're doing.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 02:14:16 AM »

I second what okarol said.   ???

5 weeks Haemo 2012

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »

Roxy, I'm sorry.  This makes me very sad.  I'll be praying the treatments stop the acute rejection.  Hope you tolerate the plasmapheresis well.  I am glad that you are in the hospital and they can take good care of you.    You have lots of us worrying about you and saying lots of prayers.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Roxy

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »

Thank you  everybody. So far today ive had a.chest Xray,Ultrasound, 2 blood draws, and now the nurse is setting  up the plasmapheresis. They Are taking me off cellcept and cyclosporine and starting me on prograf again. They are also using my iv line for 3 other immunosuppressants. my creatinine is 2.3 so its still stable. It use to be around 1.9 baseline, so luckily its not too much function loss yet.  Im really weak and dizzy so I haven't been able to stand for long periods of time before getting light-headed. Hopefully that gets better.
Thanks again for your replies and thoughts.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »

Roxy wishing you well
Roxy

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »

Just an update:
Today is plasmapharesis, cytogam, something with prednisone, prograf, and all the normal anti virals and stuff. No real change in creatinine though. im hoping to see some change otherwise they want to do another biopsy (which I don't see the point of if they know from the first one that the rejection is due to antibodies)which they can  test through blood tissue typing. Also not thrilled with my transplant team so far. Since i had my transplant they have all changed except my surgeon who is still on the team. Luckily, he seems to have the final say with my stuff which makes me feel a little better. There's A lack of communication between the doctors which led to me getting cellcept when I wasn't suppose to yet. On the plus side, all my nurses have been great.
crossing my fingers that I see some results.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »

I think the biopsy would show to what degree you have donor specific antibodies, not just antibodies in general. It might also give them an idea if scarring has taken place. Have they given you your lab numbers? Do you know what your prograf and Cellcept (or whatever you're taking) trough levels are?
I am glad you're being treated well!  :clap;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Roxy

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »

Well, I'm out of the hospital and back in California  :yahoo; . The creatinine went down to 2.13 but then back to 2.23 so there wasn't a lot of change but at least it's stable and not going up. They have me on prednisone (10mg- will slowly go down to 5mg) , cellept, and prograf, along with the same post transplant meds I was on before like Valcyte, Bactrim, and Diflucan. All the treatment and medications have left me a little weak but I plan on going back to work tomorrow and just slowing down a bit and taking it easy. So far I'm tolerating Prograf better this time around. I think my trough level that they want for the prograf is between 6-8, so they are still playing with the dosage. I get labs drawn tomorrow morning so we'll see how i'm doing now that I've been out of the hospital for a few days. I have to go back in a week for my second infusion of Rituximab and to check in with the transplant team. After that they just plan on doing the tissue typing blood tests every month or so to keep track of the number of antibodies and trying to continue to manage it. We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping tomorrow's labs come back with some good news.
Jelena

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 04:36:24 AM »

Keeping everything crossed! Glad you are out of the hospital  :yahoo;

Jelena
Roxy

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »

Thanks!! Creatinine went from 2.3 back down to 2.11 so hopefully it just stays in this range.  The norvasc caused me to retain a lot of fluid in my legs so we stopped that ( I think it was around 6lbs!) The tissue typing test showed that the plasmapharesis and everything wasn't quite as successful as they had hoped. Only one of the antibody categories got better while the other two got worse (meaning more antibodies). We'll see what they say on Tuesday when I go back for my Rituximab infusion, but I'm hoping since the creatinine is still stable that they'll just see what the Rituximab does first and stabilize my meds and see what happens. But, I'm back to work and feeling a lot better so for now it's just wait and see!
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:47 PM »

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:23:35 PM by Neo » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »