I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 12:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Okay, I'll do the fistula thingy!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Okay, I'll do the fistula thingy!!  (Read 2533 times)
Gerald Lively

« on: November 25, 2011, 05:10:39 PM »

Ya know, I was just laying there, minding my own business, pretending to be asleep when my spouse just had to wake me up.  She had world shaking news: the fistula doctor wanted to see me.  If there was ever a reason to go back to sleep, this was it.  So, I pretended to snore.  ZZZZZZZZZZ!  Didn’t work.  She licked my ear and threatened to lift the dog up on the bed.  Okay, I jumped up and immediately experienced one of those, your blood pressure is too low, dizzy spells.  I wonder if I’ll ever get used to that little hitch, dizziness.  Suppose there was a burglar in the house?  Perhaps I could shout to the guy and say, “Hold on for a minute, I gonna faint.”
Okay, I saw the surgeon.  He surveyed my left arm, looking at it like it was a piece of wood he was about to carve up.  He thumped it.  Twisted my arm a bit.  He got out this “stick it in your ear” thingy-bob that they use to listen to listen to your heart beat, only he was listening to my wrist.  I didn’t know my wrist uttered anything – maybe it was pleading for mercy. 
He rolls across the exam room and calls for something on wheels, which comes through the door as if the nurse was standing there waiting for his beckoning call.  Hmmm!  Showmanship! 
Without delay he slops some clear stuff all over my forearm.  Evidently this made things smoother for the other whiz-bang that he ran up and down my soon to be modified arm.  He points to a screen with waving things on it.  He tells me this was that vein and that was this artery and I can’t wait for a commercial.  He likes what he sees.  Alas, my arm wasn’t pregnant.
“When do you want to do the surgery,” he asks.
I shrug.
“How about now?” he suggests without even looking up from his notes.
I shrug again.  “Let’s go for it.”  I roll up my sleeve and stick my arm out.
“Just kidding,” he chuckles like this was some sort of inside joke. The guy needed a knuckle sandwich but he looked like a football player in the NFL and I am very choosy about mixing it up with big guys.  Hey, this is my arm, I thought, and shrugged to myself.  I ain’t no dummy.  I don’t think so, anyway.
So, this morning we do a repeat; I’m pretending to be asleep and the boss-wife kicks me in the butt.  Evidently we are going somewhere.  Hey, we live in the mountains 30 miles out of town, but before we get there, I ask, “Where are we going?”
“Blood test.”
It seems like I get one of those everyday.
“EKG”.
I don’t get one of those everyday.
You know, I wonder if the Chico medical community is just fascinated by my body and they won’t let me go, or if there is really some wrong behind my belly-button.  Of course I pass these teenie-weenie tests, no problem.  But my blood pressure is 105 over 70 and I’m in a perpetual state of dizziness.  Yes, I had to starve for these essential tests and glimpses inside my bod.  That’s it.  So, we went out for a gigantic breakfast.  Now I don’t feel so good.
This all means that come Monday morning, spouse-emeritus will boot my buns out of bed and I will stop resisting the installation of a fistula.  Yes, if I live through the procedure, I’ll be posting the scoop.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »

I do love a good story teller.  Best of luck getting your fistula.  If nothing else, perhaps it will get you a "sleep in" day or two!   ;)

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »

Great 'life' storie :)  :rofl;   and wenchie ya made me laugh too cause thats what i was thinking.... hey, it might get ya a 'pitty' sleep in at least :) Sooooo,  All the best, i do hope you survive to tell the story ...  fun  :2thumbsup;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
kevinswife

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »

Good luck with your surgery.  I'm looking forward to reading "the scoop".  My husband is having his surgery Wednesday.

PS:  My husband would not be happy with me if I licked his ear or kicked him in the butt!

Wife and care partner to Katonsdad. 
May you rest in peace my dear husband.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »

I love the way you write.  Wenchie, I must admit that I love my surgery sleeps.  Got another onecoming up in a week's time when I have my PD catheyer removed.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »

Best of luck to you.     :cuddle;    I get my fistula on Monday too

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Traveller1947

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 03:06:54 AM »

You definitely have a way with words, Gerald.  Good luck with your surgery!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 06:37:36 AM »

I just had fistula surgery last week, and my wife is already nagging me to make another appointment for the second round of surgery.  Why can't they do it all the first time?  I do look forward to the time I can get my catheter removed.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 06:51:33 AM »

This made me giggle! 

Hope it all goes well.  I know my Blokey was adamant he wasn't EVER getting a fistula, but once he had one and started using it, it became apparent it was the best thing he ever did (he was using a chest line for the eighteen months previous.)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »

What second round of surgery do you mean? Do you mean the cath removal?  They have to make sure the fistula is working good for a few runs at my unit before they move my cath. That's likely what they are waiting for.  Hope all goes well.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »

Good luck with the surgery.... I'll have you know, that my husband's fistula still gives me a "thrill!"

And you might want to read the thread from Houseofdialysis on his fistula.... Oooooh! http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=25072.msg404088#msg404088

:shy;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »