I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:52:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Calcitriol
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calcitriol  (Read 5614 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: November 18, 2011, 06:38:47 AM »

Anybody suffer from extreme constipation from this pill? OMG, I'm in so much pain, it felt as though I was giving birth to a baby outta my butt this morning while having my BM.  I almost passed out on the toilet, I was straining that hard and that bad!

One of my nephrologists prescribed me to take an extra pill post dialysis, I already took one 3 times a week, post D, but I can't tolerate taking 2 now. My PTH was up, so he prescribed the extra pill.  I can't take tums either, I've tried that as well and they only severely constipate me too.      :(

I even drank more water and ate more fruit just as a precautionary measure to prevent constipation knowing I can suffer from it.  It just sucks, I'm damned no matter what I do.      :sir ken;        :Kit n Stik;       :rant;

It really ticked me off considering my labs were good the last 2 months and my phosphorus wasn't even an issue-it was the best it ever was      ::)       ???
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:57:32 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:56:36 AM »

Wow!  How much is in each capsule? Are they a large dose?
I take two Calcitriol every day, 0.25MCG. Plus  6 to 8 Renagel and 3 Calsup. Haven't had any constipation problems.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:00:13 AM »

I don't know, I was wondering if anybody else knows? I"m beside myself       ???    I'm on the same dose, 0.25 mcg for one gel capsule.

I also take 6 Renagel/day too, have been on that since last fall. I had problems starting on that also., having severe constipation.

I'd be the rare one to have a nasty side effect, seems to be the case with most drugs for me. I dread the transplant meds, I am concerned I have too many sensitiviies to drugs,  just on Dialysis alone      Grrrrrr!

I also had severe problems taking only one tum  with my meals before.....had to stop the tums too due to very same issue. It's frustrating as all hell!       ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:03:02 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:15:16 AM »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:34:44 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »

Yes, I eat a lot of leafy greens too, not just fruit.   I already asked about metamucil long time ago and my nephs don't want me on it.

Desert Dancer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »

Don't strain! You'll give yourself hemorrhoids and you don't want THOSE.

My suggestion would be to take acidophilus. They seem to fix you up no matter what kind of problem you're having with your bowels. If you've never taken them before take a large dose, maybe six a day (kind of like shocking a pool). Then take a maintenance dose of two a day. I always had a preference for the mega-high dose ones in the refrigerated section of the health food store but frankly, the ones on the shelf at CVS seem to work just as well. I swear by them and in the last few months I've got Andy swearing by them, too - no small feat!

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »

I have hemorrhoids off and on, I have to be very careful, thus why I don't want to get constipated to the gils. I have no idea what that is what you mentioned,  DD. I've never heard of it.

mcclane

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:38:50 AM »

when i was on pd, they had me on laxatives (due to the fact that while on pd, i wasn't allowed to eat any grains - potassium and phosphorous).

I know one of the laxatives was senokot, i think the other was docusate (?).  The docusate one isn't really a laxative, it doesn't make you wanna go but it makes the stool softer so it is easier to go.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »

Hi Mcclane, I have stool softeners and they help to some degree---but the problem is, I don't want to become dependent on them     :(

Desert Dancer

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »

I have hemorrhoids off and on, I have to be very careful, thus why I don't want to get constipated to the gils. I have no idea what that is what you mentioned,  DD. I've never heard of it.

Cordelia, acidophilus is a probiotic. That is to say, it is a beneficial bacteria that is found in everyone's intestines (and vaginas, if you own one of those). You can find it in any drugstore, Sprouts, Whole Foods... even the vitamin section of the grocery store. It's often added to to things like yogurt and milk, but you can get more of it just taking it in pill form. A lot of the time it's also found in combination with other probiotics such as bifidum.

It was recommended to me by a midwife when I had a postpartum infection. I've never had a single yeast or intestinal problem ever since I started it.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »

Cordelia, acidophilus is a probiotic. That is to say, it is a beneficial bacteria that is found in everyone's intestines (and vaginas, if you own one of those). You can find it in any drugstore, Sprouts, Whole Foods... even the vitamin section of the grocery store. It's often added to to things like yogurt and milk, but you can get more of it just taking it in pill form. A lot of the time it's also found in combination with other probiotics such as bifidum.

It was recommended to me by a midwife when I had a postpartum infection. I've never had a single yeast or intestinal problem ever since I started it.

Would you know if it has any milk/dairy/phosphorus in it?

ToddB0130

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »

Are you taking other medications ?  So many others may also have constipation as a side effect.   I always say I am like a walking chemistry experiment with all of the meds I take.   One day I'll be walking down the street and BOOM !!   Ha.

No day but today
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 05:08:43 PM »

Todd, I'm not taking a whole lot of pills....daily I take:

6 Renagel, which I'm used to now, they don't cause me anymore problems.....

1 Replavite

1 ApoAtenolol (high blood pressure pill)    5 mg

1 Calciotrol

All of which I've been taking for a year now and once I got used to them, they don't bother me anymore.

I tried Tums just over a month ago and now an extra Calcitriol and I swear anytime I introduce either, I'm bunged to the gils, by far the worst, to the point I feel like I'm giving birth to a baby out of my butt, I've suffered constipation off and on occassionally, a much milder case of it,  if I don't eat my vegies, and fruit and drink my water but seems as though these two pills it doesn't matter what i eat or drink, I'm going to be constipated that horribly bad that it feels like giving birth. It just makes me angry and frustrated        :boxing;
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:13:03 PM by Cordelia » Logged

drgirlfriend

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »

If you're lactose intolerant, be very careful with acidophilus. Most forms come in dairy. And keep in mind that you can suddenly become lactose intolerant. Happened to me when I was in my late 20's. But with all the meds you're taking, they are most likely the issue.

The bf has major problems with constipation, even before pd. We worked really hard to make the neph understand how much of a problem it was going to be. They finally let him take Miralax every other day in addition to daily stool softeners. He also takes Benefiber chewable tablets. That combo seems to be working - knock on wood!!

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »

I  took  calcitriol    .25mcg     most of the  time   at  times  I had to  take  1mgc  (or  4 caplets  of  the  .25mcg)  without  a  prob.
The  things that  constipated  me  were  Phoslo  and  Iron.   
You  seem  very  sensitive  to  calcium  based  drugs.                              I  was  constantly  taking   stool  softners.
The  clinic  and  Dr  recommended   Colace,  but  since it  was  too  expensive  I  bought  the  target  brand 100mg  stool  softeners.            They  always  helped.     

Be  careful   with  this.   There  is  a  condition   that  causes  people  to   pass  out  due  to  lack  of  oxygen,  it's  called   Vasovagal  Syncope.   

Vagus Nerve Stimulation: Fainting may occur if the vagus nerve, which supplies the neck, chest, and intestine, is stimulated. When stimulated, the vagus nerve slows the heart. Such stimulation also causes nausea and cool, clammy skin. This type of fainting is called vasovagal (vasomotor) syncope. The vagus nerve is stimulated by pain, fear, other distress (such as that due to the sight of blood), vomiting, a large bowel movement, and urination. Fainting during or immediately after urination is called micturition syncope. Rarely, vigorous swallowing causes fainting due to stimulation of the vagus nerve.   

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »

I may very well be lactose intolerant. How come dairy products don't react as bad for me? Milk, cheese, doesn't make me as constipated.

I can't tolerant iron, either. I used to get the liquid iron and couldn't tolerate it, either. Same issue.

I don't understand the vasovagal syncope.......is this something from taking stool softeners or the calcitriol? I don't understand.       ???

Desert Dancer

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »

Would you know if it has any milk/dairy/phosphorus in it?

Not to the best of my knowledge. None of the brands I've taken have shown any dairy ingredients or phospates. Of course, each company's formulation will be different, so just check the label. It's not like there aren't a thousand acidophilus products to choose from!

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 03:06:50 AM »

Thanks for the heads up!       :)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »