I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 06:10:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Beach Bum's Update
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Bum's Update  (Read 3623 times)
beachbum

« on: November 16, 2011, 06:27:02 AM »

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a few months. The last time I posted was earlier this summer. My creatine was about 7 and I was still waiting to have surgery for PD access. This is my first time on dialysis so I was pretty scared although I've struggled with kidney problems most of my 37 years.

In September my creatine had risen to 9 and my GFR was down to about 7. I thought I had a potential donor lined up but that fell through so my dr said I should just start dialysis since it was inevitable. Strangely my symptoms were very vague. Asside from edema (mostly caused by taking Norvasc) I was feeling ok. But I knew I needed to get it over with. I had my surgery October 14. I also had a hernia repaired the same day so it complicated things a bit. The PD surgery wasn't bad at all. I think the hernia repair hurt more. I felt like I couldn't walk for about 5 days. After about a week I started returning to my normal self.

Because of the hernia I had to wait to start dialysis until yesterday. So yesterday was my first official day on dialysis!  :2thumbsup; I'm happy about this because I overcame a major fear. Just two months ago I seriously thought about not going through with any of this. This isn't what I wanted for my life but it's keeping me alive and it's something I have to deal with for now. I'm very lucky, I have wonderful PD nurses. They actually told me about this site, (to avoid sites like this lol) but I'm glad I checked it out anyways. The training went well and so far everything has been ok. I listen to what they say and I'm very careful when I'm doing my PD.

My creatine was down to 8 a couple of weeks ago. I guess it bounces around at this point. I feel like I made a good decision to start the PD before I got really sick. I will say it's not too bad. At least not as bad as I expected. I mean the worst part is I still haven't received my heating pad so I have to use cold bags and I get a lot of cramping at first. It's inconvienent and a little scary but I feel like I have some control and I'm pretty optimistic. Once I get adjusted to the PD I'm going to pursue trying to find a live donor and get listed. For now it's just one day at a time. I hope I can help someone else out that is new to PD or thinking about it. I'll try to update more often.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:38:07 AM »

Speaking as a fellow beach bum I really miss the water.  I'm hoping a fistula will allow me to hit the surf again someday.  I'm just glad I spent all that time in the ocean during my youth.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 06:38:42 AM »

Beach Bum, I think the scariest part of starting something new is just not knowing what to expect. So you are over THAT hurdle. You should continue to feel better and better.  :2thumbsup;

I'm not happy that you had to start dialysis, but glad for you that you have managed this first big step.  :clap;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
beachbum

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:51:37 AM »

Whamo, the worst part for me is I live right across the street from the beach  :'(

But at least I can put my feet in the water. It was a tough decision to go with PD knowing swimming in the ocean was out.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:18:57 AM »

Beach Bum, I feel for you. Was an avid surfer in my youth. Not much to surf on here in Colorado  :rofl; Unless you count skiing :thumbup;
A thought for your bags, heat them in a basin of hot water. I saw one of our members mention this as a method that works when they are traveling. It should beat getting the cramps.
HTH

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »

Beachbum,  I live inland, but I still see the ocean when I visit my mother in San Clemente.  She has a house on the bluff with a whitewater view, a view of the spot where I learned to surf.  Everytime I visit her my mind is flooded with memories of tube rides.  The last time I walked on the beach I talked to Pat Gaduskas, a professional surfer.  He's a really nice kid, and I root for him on the world tour contests. 
beachbum

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »

Beachbum,  I live inland, but I still see the ocean when I visit my mother in San Clemente.  She has a house on the bluff with a whitewater view, a view of the spot where I learned to surf.  Everytime I visit her my mind is flooded with memories of tube rides.  The last time I walked on the beach I talked to Pat Gaduskas, a professional surfer.  He's a really nice kid, and I root for him on the world tour contests.

I used to live in Orange County. San Clemente is beautiful. Really missing the nice weather all year round. It's also much more laid back there than here on the East Coast. I think the OC will always have a special place in my heart. Everytime I leave I always end up moving back.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 02:56:24 PM »

We were close; I was raised in Redondo, Manhattan and Hermosa. Did summer vacation on Balboa Island so I went over to Newport from time to time. I miss the environment but not the crowds.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
beachbum

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »

I used to live about on top of the hill above Balboa Island in Newport Beach. I also lived in Laguna Beach for a while. It never got old. Just waking up in the morning and smelling the ocean. Walking outside in my shorts in December. What was crazy you could be poor and hang out with the filthy rich and just kind of blend in. Most of the time you couldn't tell the homeless guy from the millionare, at least in Laguna Beach. The people were really friendly.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »

I grew up in Connecticut by the Long Island sound and I have lived in the OC for 11 years now.  I do not think I could not live by the water.  I do HD because I love the water so much. 
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:57:18 PM »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:37:53 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »

yes your creat will jump around.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 05:34:45 AM »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:36:46 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »

My goodness you sound like my husband!!!  He is VERY active as well.  Only difference is he does nocturnal home hemo!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »

Hi there, beachbum!  Geez, I don't know where I've been because I have missed your story for some reason until just now.  I haven't started dialysis yet but have been preparing for it for 7 years now, so I am always intensely interested to see how people cope with starting.  It sounds like you've had no major problems but that it is still a major life-change.  Can't deny that.

I hear conflicting advice about PD and swimming.  I'm originally from TX and grew up in swimming pool, but now I live in Chicagoland and don't get to swim as often.  I refuse to swim in indoor pools as that is just sacriligious. :rofl;  I buy a pool pass each summer and swim at the pool in the park, right by the river, and I will NOT give up my access to the water.  Plus, we like to holiday in Michigan so that we can swim in Lake Michigan, and I won't give that up, either, so I will be doing HD.  But like Henry P. S said, I do believe that certain kinds of swimming are OK.  Maybe you can check into that.

Thanks for your update!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Restorer

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »

If I were making the choice all over again, with those priorities and what I know now, the choice would be between not being allowed to swim for risk of infections, and not feeling good enough to swim half the time. I miss PD.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »