I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Very Loose Stool on Dialysis Day After Two Days Off
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very Loose Stool on Dialysis Day After Two Days Off  (Read 9821 times)
greeneyesinva

« on: October 31, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »

My dad (85 years old and on HD for about 2+ years) has started experiencing very loose stool on Monday mornings with frequent trips to the bathroom. We have reviewed his diet; nothing has changed and he is very strict with what he eats--he does exactly what his doctor and support team tell him to do. We are wondering if this issue could be related to fluid buildup after the 2-day break from dialysis treatments (he is a Mon-Wed-Fri patient).

Has anyone heard of/experienced this issue?

Thanks!!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »

my brother who has been on D for awhile tells me that when his Potassium and Phopherous (either/or) are reaching the high range he notices a change in his bowl habits like you describe....his labs are in the normal range but he can tell when they start to get "high normal"

good luck
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

I think it has to do with lab values, because now that I run longer on d my stools are normal.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:49:53 AM »

As counter-intuitive as this may seem, it may also be from dehydration. Perhaps they are pulling too much off at one time on Mondays.

:grouphug;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »

J. has a bowel movement everyday.  It is a soft stool.  I didn't know that that was a problem!  I wish I could have a bowel movement everyday and get rid of this grude inside me, lol! Maybe lose some weight in the mean time!

Seriously, I think it is just a normal process the body goes through.  Seems like it would be more for ESRD, cause it builds up and has to come out in some way.  Right?  I certainly don't want him to be constipated nor want him to have the runs either!  Goodness, it is getting gross now!!!!!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
greeneyesinva

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »

Thank you so much for your replies!!

To clarify, my dad's problem is not just a soft stool; this is very loose, bordering on diarrhea, and he has several of these eliminations within about 4 hours on Mondays (after not having dialysis for 2 days). My concern is dehydration as a result of it--and, of course, the inconvenience and discomfort that it causes him. He has a blood draw once a month at the dialysis center and gets a hard copy of the results; for years, he has continued to write down his values on a chart he created as well. It will be interesting to see what his values are this month--perhaps there is a correlation.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »

My dad (85 years old and on HD for about 2+ years) has started experiencing very loose stool on Monday mornings with frequent trips to the bathroom. We have reviewed his diet; nothing has changed and he is very strict with what he eats--he does exactly what his doctor and support team tell him to do. We are wondering if this issue could be related to fluid buildup after the 2-day break from dialysis treatments (he is a Mon-Wed-Fri patient).

Has anyone heard of/experienced this issue?

Thanks!!

I would think it may be related to fluid build up since the function of the bowels is to absorb water from the stool. The fact it is cyclic on Mondays after a two day hiatus goes along with that. You can simply monitor your fluid gains and see if excess fluid correlates with the loose stools. Be very careful with salt intake since that will increase fluid intake as well. The first thing to do is to mention this to your medical team.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »