I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Constant nose bleeds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Constant nose bleeds  (Read 15522 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: October 27, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »

For the last few weeks, I've been having intermittent nose bleeds, and last night it got so bad I had to go to the ER. It wouldn't stop, and I would have a big spray of blood come out whenever I would blow my nose or sneeze. They gave me some nasal spray (I don't remember what it's called). That stopped the bleeding, and I have to take it three times a day. My blood pressure hasn't been abnormally high so I don't think that's the cause (and neither did my doctor). No one knows what has caused this. About 20 years ago, I broke my nose and it healed crooked, so my left nostril is smaller than the right. The bleeding is only coming from my left nostril. This is weird, annoying, and slightly worrisome. Has anyone ever had "mystery" nose bleeds? 

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 09:13:11 PM »

hmm no personal experience. Can you see any correlation to dialysis/heparin use? If it is the injury why did it start up now? hmm Nose bleeds can be from nondialysis issues, if you've had to go to the ER I think that should be the trigger for some testing and seeing an ear, nose, throat doc.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »

hmm no personal experience. Can you see any correlation to dialysis/heparin use? If it is the injury why did it start up now? hmm Nose bleeds can be from nondialysis issues, if you've had to go to the ER I think that should be the trigger for some testing and seeing an ear, nose, throat doc.

I don't see any obvious connection with dialysis, and I don't use heparin at all during tx. I don't see how it could be caused by the old injury, because I've never had this happen until now. If it starts again, I will be asking for a referral to an ear nose and throat doctor. The medicine they gave me is Neo-Synephrine, and so far it has stopped the bleeding completely. I'm keeping a VERY close eye on it though.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »

Gregory gets nose bleeds all the time.  Not like yours, they don't spray.  But they're regular, and bloody.  I gave up having white pillow cases on his pillow.  He doesn't seem to worry about them.  I'm going to go ask him how long its been going on for him.

He says he's had them since for ever.  He doesn't know why.  He thinks he gets them more in summer.  His nose bleeds awhile and then it stops, was his eloquent assessment of the situation.  I said it was a couple of times a week, but he says its less often than that.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
AimeePitt

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »

Nose bleeding involve internal bleeding.Many people suffer from occasional bleeding known as epistaxis due to many causes such as heat,exposure to warm, dry air for along time,nasal and sinus infections,vigorous nose blowing, nasal surgery, deviated or perforated nasal septum, and cocaine use.Usually can be easily managed at home,but if it is serious than medication is necessary. 

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »

The mystery seems to be solved. I was apparently having the nose bleeds because I was severely anemic. I guess if anemia is bad enough, it can effect blood clotting. My nurse mentioned having a severely anemic patient who was bleeding from his eyes! My hemoglobin got as low as 4.7, and when that was brought under control, the nose bleeds have completely stopped.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »

DANG!!!! That is good to know, sorry tho that you had to go thru all this stuff to find out.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »