I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 08:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I want to gain weight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I want to gain weight  (Read 4338 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: October 24, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »

hello,
 I know this is going to sound silly to  most of you. I really want to gain more weight! I have lost atleast 12lbs in the last 6 months. I know that doesnt sound like a lot. But it is to me. I am only 4'11", and with my dry weight I am down to 105lbs.
I cant fit any of my clothes any more. My boobs have shrunk half a cup size and I was small to begin with. Just no fat. lol

What do you guys do to gain weight besides pour the meat down your throat? My albumin has been above 4.2 for the last few years.

Im hearing no bacon, which does have  alot of fat and no sausage, which has fat too. Now they said no flour. so I guess no dessert for me, not that I was a sweet person to begin with.
What is left for me??

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Restorer

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »

No flour? Surely that's only if you're diabetic. White (not whole wheat) flour is just fine.

I'm eating cornbread with whipped cream right now. With butter and honey would be even better. The thing that made the most difference for me was having a clean kitchen and a dishwasher so I could cook without taking the energy to wash things before and after.

Bacon isn't a great choice because it's so salty, and most brands have added phosphates. The same often goes for sausage. As far as meats go, I like pot roast and pulled pork, which are both made with fatty cuts of meat. I add heavy cream, not milk or creamer, to my coffee. Sour candies are usually "free," since they're just sugar and flavorings, so you can boost calories that way.

Saute vegetables instead of steaming them. Slather butter on your corn. Have lots of bread with your salad. Drink soda or sweet tea or cranberry juice.

Fat is always free on the renal diet if you're trying to gain weight, and as long as you're not diabetic, so is refined sugar.

I'm 5'6" and 110 lbs, so even more underweight than you. I'm eating more now than I was a few months ago, but my weight still doesn't seem to be increasing at all, so I know what you mean. Good luck.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »

Again, I push the "NePro" drink for dialysis patients.  You can order a six pack just to try it.  I like the Butter Pecan but there is Berry and Vanilla too.  It is high calorie, low potassium and low Phos and carb study.

Call Ross Nutrition:  1.800.986.8502

:thumbup;    Drink a can before bed.  It will make you feel full.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »

It is a hard thing to accomplish on a renal diet - limited meat, cheese, chocolate, peanut butter....all those fatty things that would add pounds in a hurry.  Your real option here is probably sugar, sugar and more sugar.  As long as you aren't diabetic, there's no restriction on that.  Sugar cookies, lollipops, hard candy, taffy, caramels maybe...  just double check ingredients on line to make sure you don't end up with something sneaky high in phos or potassium.  Also, as long as it's white flour, then yes, it should be fine - which gets you bread and pasta.  Maybe some good crusty bread dipped in olive oil for a dinner appetizer?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »

I lost almost 10kg post tx and am gaining slowly again. The drugs have pushed my cholesterol up, however to gain weight I drink milkshakes from full cream milk, adding icecream and sugar. That always seems to add weight for e and is easier to stomach than a sit down meal when my appetite is not so good. I figure when my energy levels and wieght are back to normal, I'll watch out for the bad fats then. Good luck!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Lindia

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:01:27 AM »

Don't you do PD ? ?     Arent' those restrictions a little different from hemo ?      Milkshakes and icecream sound good to me, if you can have milk.    Also - unsalted butter -- YUM !    And I loves me some cornbread, butter and honey.   Also -  cooked rice, with butter and honey.    :2thumbsup;

Hopefully - some PD people will also have suggestions.   GOOD LUCK !
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »

you may have some of mine.. *L*  I'm a little more than 5 feet tall, and am close to 230lbs.. I can definitely stand to lose

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »

Hello. Lillupie,

Could it be that your weight-loss is due to a lupus-flare-up?
I am just wondering because I once lost lots of weight
and it was due to a Lupus/MCTD-flare-up.

Good luck from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
mykey711

mykey

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »

Ice Creme, Ensure. if you're not a diabetic

I'm a 58 year old Family doctor with Alport's syndrome. I've been on PD for almost a year. I've been on transplant list since May 2010 at three centers, Michigan, Cleveland, and Indiana.  My brother has the same disease and is on his second transplant for about 12 years now.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »

hi,
 hate to admit it but that would be nice and be able to get back on steroids that will help me to gain weight. But i have not had a lupus symptom in 12 years.

Lisa

Hello. Lillupie,

Could it be that your weight-loss is due to a lupus-flare-up?
I am just wondering because I once lost lots of weight
and it was due to a Lupus/MCTD-flare-up.

Good luck from Kristina.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Restorer

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention: "premium" ice cream like Haagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's are better than cheaper brands. Look for something with more than 15 g of fat per 1/2 cup serving, with ingredients like milk and cream, and not skim milk. The single-serving $1 cups are perfect.

Right now I'm waiting for some brioche dough to rise. Rich breads like brioche, challah, and olive oil focaccia are good for getting more calories.

Are you losing weight because your appetite is low? My doctor prescribed megestrol, an appetite-increasing drug, when my protein was low.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

flipperfun

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:37:59 AM »

I too have struggled with my weight for three years!  This year I have finally increased weight due to a better appetite, and, I make sure I eat snacks, cakes and biscuits, ice cream (not too often), cook using butter in mashed potatoes, (not too much potato) oil in cooking, extra butter on bread ladled with honey or jam.  Sugar on cereal and don't skimp on what you fancy eating (within reason) looking out for phos and potassium.

Good luck.
PS I often make Apple Cinnamon French Toast Strata from the Davita website http://www.davita.com/recipes/breakfast-and-brunch/apple-cinnamon-french-toast-strata/r/5766
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »

yuck, im avoiding those drinks! lol
they tend to taste like milk to me.

Lisa

Again, I push the "NePro" drink for dialysis patients.  You can order a six pack just to try it.  I like the Butter Pecan but there is Berry and Vanilla too.  It is high calorie, low potassium and low Phos and carb study.

Call Ross Nutrition:  1.800.986.8502

:thumbup;    Drink a can before bed.  It will make you feel full.

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »

And what is brioche bread? I dont think I have ever heard of that.
 Yeah I dont feel like eating anything. The foods that I can eat, im sick of. The foods I cant eat, I dont want to take more binders/horsepills. They are so huge.
So I just say forget it. I generally eat only one meal a day.

Lisa

Right now I'm waiting for some brioche dough to rise. Rich breads like brioche, challah, and olive oil focaccia are good for getting more calories.

Are you losing weight because your appetite is low? My doctor prescribed megestrol, an appetite-increasing drug, when my protein was low.

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Restorer

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »

Brioche is sweet bread with lots of butter and eggs in the dough. Makes excellent French toast and burger buns.

I've taken to snacking on sourdough bread with butter, cream cheese, or jam. I keep ramen on hand - it's not great to eat on its own very often, but boil the noodles separately, then make broth with only part of the seasoning packet (or your own broth mixture, if you're up to it) and simmer some vegetables in it, maybe a few shrimp or pieces of chicken, add the noodles back in, maybe put a hard-boiled egg on top, and it's a real meal.

Thin rice noodles cook even faster than ramen, and have no sodium in them at all. There are prepackaged "instant" Thai rice noodle packs that come with a seasoning packet.

I don't follow absolutes anymore. The foods that I "can't have," I use as seasoning. A little bit of bacon in my pasta. A tiny sprinkling of cheese on my chili. A spoonful of hummus on a sandwich. Half an ounce of chocolate for dessert. It changes things up and makes the boring things taste better. Sometimes I just throw things in a pan and cook them and add more things until it tastes good, and put that over plain rice.

I know what it's like to not have the energy or motivation to cook. The only thing that helped for me was a change of scenery, a different kitchen that was easier to work in (mostly because it wasn't always piled chest-high with dirty dishes). Cooking really is the best way to have things that you can eat that taste good. The vast majority of affordable fast food is terrible for the renal diet.

*ramble ramble* Good luck.  :beer1;

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 07:43:28 PM »

you may have some of mine.. *L*  I'm a little more than 5 feet tall, and am close to 230lbs.. I can definitely stand to lose

Me too!  You are welcome to some of mine, Lisa!!!  How has it been going for you, other than the obvious?  Hadn't heard from you in awhile.  How are things with your fiancee/husband (couldnt remember if you got married yet or not)?

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Rain

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 04:30:09 AM »

I know how you feel. I lost a lot of weight when I started dialysis and I have trouble gaining.  Ithink it was because before dialysis I was getting all my calories from milk and diary and now I have yogurt maybe a few times a month and I use cream in cooking but only a little bit.

So what I've done is I started drinking Rice Milk daily (you get use to the taste),  with 130 calories per serving it's quick calories.  I also cook with different oils like coconut, butter, macadamia nut oil, lard and duck fat.  Coconut oil has a high amount of saturated fats and I tend to fry eggs or meat in it.  But it  only contains trace amount of potassium as the actually coconut does.

The other day I started getting cramps on dialysis, I was so happy, since it was near the end of treatment which means I gained weight.   

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »