I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 12:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  am I over reacting?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: am I over reacting?  (Read 4068 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: October 22, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »

Probably, maybe, but I am alone here tonight with my sick husband and I have to admit slightly nervous. He has been throwing up quite a bit  and diarrhea quite a bit. He says he thinks it's a stomach bug (no fever). Hopefully this will pass shortly. My concern is about how to "rehydrate" after all these episodes because of the fluid build up you easily get.  Most people could drink a Gatorade or something but I know that is a no no because there is a lot of k in it as well as other stuff. Jeez...how do you deal with this?

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »

I don't think it's really possible to overreact when looking after a person with a chronic disease.

I don't have an answer, but if I were in your shoes and had to ask the question, I'd get in touch with his neph for advice.  I wouldn't risk guessing, but I don't have the experience you do in these matters.

If it's just a matter of rehydration, would simple water not be the best thing?  Or maybe a clear carbonated soda like 7-up?  That often helps an upset stomach, and you don't have to worry about K or phos.  OK, I'm just guessing, so don't pay attention to me.  I hope you get a good answer from a more knowledgable IHD member.  I hope he feels better soon. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »

The hospital always gave me apple juice if I was dehydrated.  I don't know if that means anything

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »

if he can't keep anything in his stomach, call neph or gp and i'll bet you'll find yourselves heading to the hospital for iv hydration.  especially  if this  has been going on for more than 1 day.  we may retain fluid, but vomiting and diarrhea will  cause dehydration quicker than anything and that's not good either.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:29:49 AM »

thanks everyone. Looks like the worst is over this morning. He is sipping on some ice water. He says he feels ok. I have to wonder in the back of my mind, if this was his body's way of getting rid of all the extra fluid he's been retaining. Hmmm.. Thank goodness nothing severe happened last night. MM I think you're right, it's impossible to over react.....

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:55:29 AM »

TS, something else to consider is that it might be his body's way of trying to get rid of the toxins that are building up.

It must be so stressful. I hope he can get a handle on watching what he eats and drinks.  :cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 07:26:57 AM »

yeah Willow, in my heart of hearts I really feel that way. I remember before he went on D the constant vomiting. And then when he was supposed to be doing 3 days a week and refused all the vomiting. I did notice after he did start the 3 days the vomiting has subsided a considerable amount. Almost night and day. He seems to think this is the normal way of living. Urgg...... It's a shame because he could have such a better quality of life. Not perfect, but better. Seems like it's just "exsisitng" from day to day anymore.

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »

isn't it when your K is high you will have diaherrea as well? just a thought...glad he seems to be feeling better TS!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »

yes, that is a symptom. other symptoms include fatigue, muscle weakness, muscle paraylsis, and cardiac arrest . You can be Hyperkalemic with no symptoms as well and that is scary. It is SOOOOOO very important to everyone on dialysis that is reading this to watch your Potassium please!

calypso

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »

TS, something else to consider is that it might be his body's way of trying to get rid of the toxins that are building up.

It must be so stressful. I hope he can get a handle on watching what he eats and drinks.  :cuddle;

Aleta

Something else to consider is to stop guessing and ask your nephrologist. That's what they are there for.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »

TS, my husband occasionally has this problem too, but not very often.  You should ask your neph to be sure, but I find that with NxStage (and I know that you two don't do it) that after I have removed his extra fluids, he still has time left to remove his toxins.  I agree with Aleta, toxins can be just that, TOXIC!

If he has a huge build up of it, it very well could make him sick and dehydrated.  Ask his neph and ask the clinic to set his UF to -0- when his fluids have been removed and let him remove just toxins for 15 to 30 minutes!  I think he would see a big difference in the way he feels. 

I may be wrong, but I don't believe he is dehydrated.  Those symptoms are usuallly cramping and headaches, for people with ESRD.  The diahrea and vomiting sounds more like toxin build up!  But Im not a doctor, so please do check with the Professionals on this.

Let us know how he is doing, and Thinking of you TS.

lmunchkin    :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »

TS.

We know Mike has had these issues for seems like years now - and as we endlessly conteplate it's mostly, but not always of course, due to his own choices. As you say he could have a much better quality of life if he actually followed a few of the rules of D - which are put there for a bloody good reason.

Sometimes I wonder if he needs a mentor or role model of sorts - someone doing WELL on D to show him it doesn't have to just be about existing on the couch all day, but actually being able to do stuff - and with restrictions that can be managed to a point that becomes just a normal every day thing (at least that's how it worked for me). I do realise and understand that everyone's situation is different, but I wonder if his isolation coupled with a lack of seeing that you CAN live pretty OK within the dialysis restrictions means he finds it hard to be motivated to do more to help himself?

As always I know how difficult and stressful it is for you as someone who loves and cares for him. Again, as always, you have my best wishes.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »

Richard, that is a great idea about a role model!  Is that a possibilitie TS?

lmunch

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
ToddB0130

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »

Richard ROCKS.   Great advice.  Hopefully there are support groups near texasstyle and hubby where he can meet someone who is managing the many restrictions, etd of D a bit better and more consistently.  Good luck to both of you !!!!

No day but today
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »

awww shucks you guys. Thank you.

I fear though, knowing TS' hubby the way we do, that this probably wouldn't do much to help him, but it's a thought. I was thinking about how I try and show people (specially the womenfolk  please pass on to them all that I rock  :rofl;) that you CAN deal OK with D and it isn't the end or anything like that.. so I got thinking what if he met or knew anyone or some people in the area who do do ok on D. He probably sees some at his clinic, but given his rather closed mind to his dialysis sessions it probably wouldn't register much. Maybe a word to the clinic social worker might get something going.

I know when I visited KarenInWA's unit a month or so back they had guys who came around who were patients and they were there as mentors, to encourage people etc. I thought it was a great idea!! So I do know it does happen.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »

My local mentors also have a website! 

http://livingwithrenalfailure.com/index.htm

I first met Don just over a year ago at an RSN meeting I attended with Wallyz (and a BIG Thank You to RichardMEL for emailing me about that meeting and telling me to go!)  If you click on My Story on that web page, you will see Don's story and others, also.  I have also met Carol from the website, who is a CNA at the hospital where I had my fistula and chest catheter placed.  Two nurses had told me about her, and I gave them my phone # so they could give it to her.  She called me a couple of weeks after I started D.  I have also met Bob, who visits the clinic fairly regularly.  He had a transplant just over a year ago.  Don had a transplant from his daughter a few years ago.  Carol does NxStage at home, and is a patient of my neph.  I have bumped into her at the dr's office a couple of times.

Yes, mentors are priceless!  I also believe that having a can-do attitude is priceless as well.  I may have bum kidneys and have to do dialysis 3 times a week, but I REFUSE to let this disease win!!!! Take THAT, ESRD!!!!  :boxing;

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »

I'm glad I'm reading this thread.  I'm in my third week of dialysis at the center.  Friday I got cramps, and today, Monday, I got cramps and a huge headache.  They had me drink water and spend an extra ten minutes at the center.  Now that I know I was dehydrated at least I know what the hell is going on.  I feel like I'm eating like a pig, but I am losing weight.  I crave protein, and little else.  Is that normal?  My nutritionist said my labs were perfect Friday.  I also got freaked out by this lady across the aisle from me.  She always looks so unhappy, praying, crying, and vomiting.  I feel sorry for her because she looks less than half my age.  And that's not all, she hasn't been at the center during my last two visits.  At first I liked the way dialysis made me feel, but now, I hate dialysis. 
Lindia

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 04:55:21 AM »

I'm glad I'm reading this thread.  I'm in my third week of dialysis at the center.  Friday I got cramps, and today, Monday, I got cramps and a huge headache.  They had me drink water and spend an extra ten minutes at the center.  Now that I know I was dehydrated at least I know what the hell is going on.  I feel like I'm eating like a pig, but I am losing weight.  I crave protein, and little else.  Is that normal?  My nutritionist said my labs were perfect Friday.  I also got freaked out by this lady across the aisle from me.  She always looks so unhappy, praying, crying, and vomiting.  I feel sorry for her because she looks less than half my age.  And that's not all, she hasn't been at the center during my last two visits.  At first I liked the way dialysis made me feel, but now, I hate dialysis.

Hi Whamo -  a lot could be going on.     How much fluid are they pulling off ?    If they pull off more than 2 from my hubby, he feels bad.  (everyone is different tho)   

Are they sodium profiling you ?   My hubby goes to DaVita - and they were doing that -  it made him really thirsty, so he was drinking more than he should have, it was a struggle.  He's been doing diaylsis for 5 months, and it does make him feel better,  so talk to your team and doctor -   theres a LOT of factors involved.  If you think yiou are dehydrated, there are ways to figure that out for sure.   I'm just saying - be careful with the fluid - TS hubby was sick at home - I think,  and he doesn't watch his fluids.

Also, do you have any residual kidney function left -  that also makes a difference.   Hang in there -  and keep coming here for suggestions and help.   :welcomesign;            THis forum has REALLY helped us.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »