I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:27:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Not a real great day.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not a real great day.  (Read 6867 times)
Brightsky69

« on: October 18, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »

Today was not a good clinic day.   :( I had previously gone in for an ultra sound and bone density test etc. The clinic called me and said my creatinine was 2.4 not good. My creatinine normally runs 2.0 to 2.1 and has been stable over the last few months.
So I go in today for labs and clinic and my creatinine is 3.0 !  Crazy!!  Of course I paniced for a few minutes.  The nurses always look at me expecting me to completely fall apart when it’s bad news.  Sometimes I do but today was more like a little scared. Yet strangly enough…I don’t feel a scense of doom over this 3.0 creatinine level.  I did get teary eyed when I called my boyfriend about it.
Normally, if I know something is bad…really bad and gonna get worse I can totally feel it and know it through and through. I am not one for denial or anything.  This feels like to me another bump in the road type thing. I had a simular situation back in Jan. 2010. My creatinine cam back down to normal (normal for me)after being pummped full of steriods.
Of course I have to be admitted into the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully, they won’t lock me up for long.
Also, I trust they will fix whatever is going on with this little bean. 
And to top off everything....tomorrow is my 1 year kidney birthday. One year to the day...back in the hospital.  :P

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »

:grouphug;

Let's just hope this is a temporary blip!

I'll be thinking about you!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rodneyss1

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »

Hang in there and my prayers are with you!  Please keep us updated.

Diagnosed with FSGS- 2003
End Stage- December 2010
Dialysis Journey Started- December 2010
Transplant List- December 2010
Living Donor Transplant Non-Related Surgery at St. Vincents (Indianapolis)- September 9, 2011
***Living life like its Golden***
Brightsky69

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »

Thanks  :grouphug;

My doctor said it could be something simple as I might be dehydrated. I don't know....I have been drinking alot. Still peeing alot no swelling nothing like that. I even feel pretty good.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »

Why do you have to go into the hospital?  That's rather nerve wracking!  But I agree with you in that you feel in your guts that this is a "blip".  I think we tend to forget just how complicated transplantation/post-transplantation really is.  I'm constantly amazed that more people don't have more blips.  Anyway, do keep us posted as I am very eager to know the solution to this particular mystery.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Brightsky69

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:24:06 AM »

Doc said they might want to do a biopsy.  :puke; he did use the word "Might".  I am guessing they want to do IV steriods again plus fluids.
Last time my creatinine was up big time they kept me for roughly 3 days.  :P

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »

Doc said they might want to do a biopsy.  :puke; he did use the word "Might".  I am guessing they want to do IV steriods again plus fluids.
Last time my creatinine was up big time they kept me for roughly 3 days.  :P

Ew...biopsies.  Ugh.  Hopefully it won't come to that.  Well, if a stay in the hospital saves your kidney, I guess it's a small price to pay.  I think I'd feel better knowing the doctors and nurses were close by.  Can you post from your hospital bed?  I will be impatient for news. :P

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »

This is exactly the kind of situation for which a biopsy can be useful.  If you are having some rejection issues then that needs to be determined and treated in order to hopefully halt and reverse it.  If it's due to dehydration then you don't really want a load of steroids "just in case it's rejection". 

I hope that whatever it is, it will be sorted out soon....keep drinking really a lot...I aim for 3 litres a day, and coffee doesn't count!   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Brightsky69

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

I plan on taking my laptop to the hospital. Thankfuly, they have free wifi.  ;D I'll keep you guys posted.

I hope it is a simple fix. I do not want to be stuck in the hospital for very long. I never sleep well in hospitals.....it gets depressing. Plus it's supposed to be cold and rainy tomorrow. Wonderful!  :sarcasm;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »

Thankfuly, they have free wifi.

:rofl;  OK, my excuse is that I'm not feeling well due to this stubborn cold, but when I saw this, I read, "Thankfully, they have free will."  So, they'll let you use your laptop. :P

Brightsky69

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »

Moosemom -  :rofl; I hope you get better soon.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »

I'm hoping it is dehydration and fluids will help the situation.   I did have a biopsy post transplant because of creatinine rising.  No rejection, just needed more fluids than I could possibly drink!     It is better to catch anything early so they can turn it around.   The hospital is a good place to be if there is something they need to do.  I'm thinking good thoughts and sending "no rejection" prayers your way.   

Take care.    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Brightsky69

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »

Thanks Paris....I am hoping it's just dehydration too. I feel like I was already drinking alot. I have no issues with urine. still making it  ;D When I went in for labs at the begining of the month....the clinic called me and said you labs looked great, except for your creatine. They told me to drink up and they would check it again in a couple of weeks. I figured I was "drinking up"....maybe not enought. aparently ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:21:27 PM by Brightsky69 » Logged

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »

Thinking of you brightsky, sitting in there in your hospital bed with your laptop out.  I bet it all comes good.  You don't want creatnine spiking all over the place but I bet your little kidney comes good.  Meanwhile you can enjoy the delicious food and hilarious company.   :cuddle;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »

I've read so many posts from newly transplanted people talking about how they need to drink plenty of fluids; this seems to be a real issue.  I know this may seem to be a question with an obvious answer, but why exactly is it so important to drink so much?  Is it possible to drink too much?  I guess I can see that drinking a lot motivates the new kidney to keep working...or is that too simplistic?  I'm just curious.  Thanks!

Oh, and in this context, what is the clinical definition of "dehydration"?

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:20 PM »

Sorry to hear Brightsky69, hopefully no biopsy needed.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:43 PM »

:bestwishes; Sorry your kidneyversary is a tough one, but I say celebrate the year and look forward to more!
I hope your bean settles down and things work out ok. Oh by the way, (I am sure they thought of this but... gotta ask) how is your prograf level each month? There's a fine line between keeping your immune system down and being toxic to the kidney. It seems like when Jenna's prograf is a little high (who knows why it can change month to month when the dose is the same?) she gets a bump up in her creatinine.
Sending you LOVE and {{{HUGS!}}}  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »

Since it's your "kidney-versary", maybe the kitchen will send up something special!    :rofl;   Hope everything turns out okay!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Brightsky69

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 05:32:10 AM »

They have been messing with my Prograf a lot lately. One month it's been take 4 pills in the AM and 4 in the PM then it's 5 in the AM and 4 in the PM.

Oh I forgot.....the hospital seems to block IHD. I don't know why...some security issue or something.  ::)

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 07:43:14 AM »

MooseMom, it pretty much is just that simple.   Lots of fluid keeps the kidney plumb and working well.  I can see a correlation between my fluid intake and my creatinine number.   

Brightsky - Happy Kidneyversary.   I wish you were feeling better.  Thinking of you.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Brightsky69

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 08:45:11 AM »

OMG! This has got to be a sign!
A few months ago I lost my little kidney bean necklace.  I ended up ordering another one from Amazon.  Not as nice as the one I lost.  ::)

I looked all over for that kidney bean necklace. I know I lost it somewhere between downstairs and upstairs where I usually shower and get dressed. I checked the cushions in the futon upstairs and in the end I figured it was sucked up in the vacuumed or something…. lost for good.

This morning, when I was getting dressed I was talking to Matt (BF) about possible reasons why my creatinine was so high. So, after that conversation, I go back into the room where I lost my necklace and looked down on the futon….what did I see? The little kidney bean necklace I had lost a couple of months ago. It was sitting right there in the frame of the futon’s arm rest, right where I put my clothes every morning as I am getting dressed for work.

What are the chances I would find the necklace on the exact day of my 1 year kidney anniversary right when I am having trouble with high creatinine.
If that is not a sign from above, I don’t know what is.  :angel; :pray; :thx; :pray;

Brightsky69

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »

My BP was 178/118  :thumbup;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 10:49:43 PM »

My BP was 178/118  :thumbup;

That's too high, isn't it?  ???

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Brightsky69

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 05:02:25 AM »

Ooops, I totally messed that up.  It was 118/78

Brightsky69

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 05:36:03 AM »

Well.....they want to do a "kidney rejection biopsy" on me today.  :(
I know I did have an episode back in January.2010 and they managed to stop it or slow it down however you want to look at it. I am begining to realize I don't get the whole truth from my doctors. I don't know if they only tell me "good news" to try and keep me positive or what. 
And they always say "don't panic, everything is going to be fine, Heck no - your no where near losing this kidney."  Is that the truth??

Sometimes...I just don't get it. I did everything right....I never drank, never smoked heck I hardy even touched coffee. Tried to stay active and do the right things...and I get saddled with a major health issue. I see people drink, use drug actively tring to destory their health and ...nothing, no major health issue... no problems.

How did I get so lucky?  :sarcasm;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »