I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Waiating for the phone to ring
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waiating for the phone to ring  (Read 3452 times)
Pam

« on: October 17, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »

At three o'clock today I got my 5th call. I'm standby for this kidney and am sitting here waiting for them to call and tell me I didn't get it. I can handle that, it's the hrs spent in limbo that drive me crazy.
Pam
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »

OMG, how are you not in the looney bin by now? :cuddle;  What a roller-coaster ride this is!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:40:21 PM »

At three o'clock today I got my 5th call. I'm standby for this kidney and am sitting here waiting for them to call and tell me I didn't get it. I can handle that, it's the hrs spent in limbo that drive me crazy.
Pam

Wow, here's hoping it's good news this time! I am sorry you have to wait. But it's encouraging that you are getting calls!  :thumbup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:05:10 AM »

I  remember the  first  call  I  got  where  I  was  told  I was on  back up.
The  call came  at  6:30pm   I  was  told   they  would  call   me  back  as   soon  as they   knew  something. It  was  past  1am  I  had  not  heard  from them.   I  decided  to  get  some  sleep.   I   heard back   from  them  until  6:30am.   It was   a  no  go.
I hope this  is  THE  ONE!!!       Can't  wait  to hear your  good  news!!!!!

When  the   REAL  call  came   @ 10:30pm  I  was  told  the  surgeon had  gone  to  check  the  kidney   the kidney.   I  would  hear  back  from them  sometime  between 2 and  3am.     I  was  instructed  not to  eat  or  drink anything  after  11pm.
You think I  slept??   NOPE.  but  I  wasn't  sitting  waiting  for  the  phone to  ring either.      I    emailed  friends  and  family      letting  them  know  I had  received THE  CALL    and  was  waiting to hear  back  from  hospital.
I  also  paid  all  my  bills,  finished  packing  the  bag  I  would take  with me.   Pack  my  medicine  as  well  as  disability  forms.                                 
They  finally  called  me  at  3am.     I  was  asked  "how  fast  can you  get  to the  hospital?"          I  told  them  30-45 minutes.         But,  5 minutes  later  the  phone  rang  again,  I  was  told  I  could  either  head  there  then  or   get there  by  5:30am. It  was  my  choice.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Pam

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 05:00:19 AM »

Not a go this time either. I guess I'm stuck in second place. While I waited for the next call I did manage to clean the kitchen sort the pantry and mop the utility room so all of that nervous  energy didn't go to waste/
Pam
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:59:38 AM »

:cuddle; Pam   :cuddle;

I'm  sorry  this  was't  it,   but  at  least  you  know    you're on top of the  list.       The  Drs  want the  best  one  for you,  and  the  best is  coming  soon!!     :grouphug;

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:21:29 AM »

Oh my, I understand the disappointment, but the fact that you've had FIVE calls surely must give you some hope.  I can't wait to hear about your sixth, and hopefully final, call!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »

Wow, you put that waiting time to good use! So sorry about the letdown.
Best wishes that you get your miracle soon.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »

Out of the blue, I started thinking about you today.  I was wondering how you are, what is going on.  Then I dusted my paperweight you gave me.   I was waiting to hear updates on "Tubes" today and his transplant, but I spent the time in between worrying about you.   Odd.  And now to read that you were waiting for the back up call back.   I am disappointed for you.  You certainly are right up at the top of the list.  At least you know they are waiting for the perfect kidney for you.  Not that it helps today.   Sorry this wasn't the one.     :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Marsh

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »

So close!!!! :2thumbsup;
Pam

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »

Out of the blue, I started thinking about you today.  I was wondering how you are, what is going on.  Then I dusted my paperweight you gave me.   I was waiting to hear updates on "Tubes" today and his transplant, but I spent the time in between worrying about you.   Odd.  And now to read that you were waiting for the back up call back.   I am disappointed for you.  You certainly are right up at the top of the list.  At least you know they are waiting for the perfect kidney for you.  Not that it helps today.   Sorry this wasn't the one.     :cuddle;
Thank you Paris, I'm so glad you are still enjoying your paper weight. Wonder if I could bribe ReRun to get your name again this year!
Pam
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »

Pam, wish I could offer more than 'hang in there, your time must be coming soon' but, well, there it is.

I hope the next one is just a 'get down here, it's yours' call so that you don't have to endure that hellish waiting. At any rate, I cannot wait to hear that they've found THE ONE for you.

:flower;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »