I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 12:28:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Discussion re dialysis on The Kidney Doctor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discussion re dialysis on The Kidney Doctor  (Read 3693 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: October 17, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »

Remember Robin Fields' articles on dialysis in ProPublica?  There is a discussion about this over on www.thekidneydoctor.org  that I would urge you all to go have a look at.  You can leave comments if you'd like.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »

Good comments MM. I have a commentary going up tonight and I think Peter has one coming too.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:19:23 PM »

Good comments MM. I have a commentary going up tonight and I think Peter has one coming too.

As I expected.  I didn't think the two of you were going to let this plum of a chance pass you by.  I can't wait to read what you both have to say!!!  Yay for Bill and Hemodoc!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »

Dr. Singh placed Bill's and my commentary together, fitting really. As Bill said, we gave them a good one two punch. IF only they would honestly evaluate the situation and focus on clinical outcomes. Interestingly, many believe that better clinical outcomes would be less costly in total costs. I believe Dr. Singh will have several more commentaries on this issue over the next few days.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »

Outstanding reading...truly outstanding, and I am so grateful to both of you, Bill and Hemodoc, for advocating for us all.  I am very glad you both were asked to contribute to the blog.  Dr. Singh knew what he was doing when he approached the two of you.

In my travels through various renal blogs, I see usually quite a few comments whenever the topic is dialysis.  And quite right, too!

Hemodoc and Bill giving the one-two punch... :boxing;   :boxing;

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »

Good reading...thx to all

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »

Iam so thankful to the two of you!  I just hope it helps to open up the eyes of others as to the Renal Community situation!  If I can do anything to help, from a caregivers point, please let me know!

lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:19:27 PM »

Reading Jay Wish's post I am just thinking how much information is obscured with language. I probably do it too.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »

Reading Jay Wish's post I am just thinking how much information is obscured with language. I probably do it too.

No, you don't.

What is an "incident patient"?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:17:12 AM by MooseMom » Logged

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:09:15 AM »

incident are the people starting dialysis

prevalent are those already on dialysis

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »

The blog is called the Kidney Doctor so I guess I shouldn't complain when they talk like kidney doctors but really Dr. Finnian McCausland's post needs to be unpacked because I think there is good information in there for dialyzors.

He writes "In addition, we noted that the pre-dialysis serum sodium concentration appears to be relatively preserved among hemodialysis patients, irrespective of the baseline dialysate sodium concentration used in their treatments, which supports the concept of an osmolar set-point."

An osmolar set-point is the idea that the body wants its sodium level where it wants its sodium level. That the body is born with an idea about the proper sodium level in its fluid (and by extension it has in mind an ideal level of hydration). What I think dialyzors should understand is that given the body wants its sodium level where it wants its sodium level, the body will not like it if the sodium level goes out of range.

In general Dr. McCausland is saying that the data suggests a customized dialysate sodium level for patients, which makes sense but his data doesn't fully support my bias for low dialysate sodium levels.  I am not able to read his entire 2011 paper - it behind a pay wall - and the abstract doesn't give enough detail.

Dialysate sodium levels - both prescribed and delivered - need more attention. I was glad to see this commentary as part of the discussion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:03:25 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »

The blog is called the Kidney Doctor so I guess I shouldn't complain when they talk like kidney doctors but really Dr. Finnian McCausland's post needs to be unpacked because I think there is good information in there for dialyzors.

Please unpack to your heart's content because I have to admit that Dr. McCausland's post was too complicated for my tiny brain.

Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:18:04 PM »

I don't believe he went far enough with his commentary to castigate the practice of sodium profiling to prevent intradialytic hypotension from shortened dialysis sessions and high ultrafiltration rates. The issue of modifying sodium to individual patients fits a smarter way of doing dialysis and is relatively easy to achieve. However, the units spend a lot of their time placing patients on sodium profiles which adds sodium, i.e. salt, to their dialysate which is then absorbed by the patient. This leads to a cycle of thirst, weight gain and high ultrafiltration rates requiring intervention to prevent hypotension that in reality is iatrogenic in nature.

Yes, his article and comments are important, but aside from advertising his article, I wish he had mentioned the most important sodium issue of advocating against sodium profiling.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »