I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:45:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Age of Live Donor Kidney
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Age of Live Donor Kidney  (Read 4887 times)
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« on: October 15, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »

I am currently in limbo of receiving a live donor kidney from a very kind and gracious relative.  She is older, 67, but in incredible health and has never had any medical drama in her life, outside of giving birth to her 3 daughters.  I was supposed to find out this last Tuesday if we were going to proceed or not, but the transplant team somehow forgot to have her do a stress test, so that will be done later this week.  They told her that they want to talk to me before proceeding with the transplant, to see how I feel about receiving an older kidney, and would I rather wait around for a younger one. I wanted to get some input from all of you out there.  I will listen to what the transplant team has to say about the age of the kidney.  However, my donor has lived a very clean and healthy life, and whoever gets her kidney (if she passes the stress test) is going to get a good one!  What are your thoughts?  Is it better to have an older kidney with a healthy life up to now, or a younger kidney that may have had a crazy past (for lack of a better term).  I guess they would want me to have a live donor over a cadaver doner if I decide to hold out for a younger kidney. (possible kidney swap?)

Also, my donor is quite the jet-setter, so timing is of the essence.  She needs to re-coup in time before her next trip! (and if I get her kidney, I think I will need to take it on a few trips...!)

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »

Oh gosh, what an interesting question!  I really don't know!  Is it better to have an older, live kidney or a younger, cadaveric kidney?  I guess technically the live kidney you are being offered is an EC kidney.  How do you feel about that?

One thing I might ask is how well they expect your donor to recover.  Would an older donor be more at risk for a rockier recovery?  If she is really in tip top shape, perhaps age doesn't matter, but I wouldn't like to assume this.  I think this is a question you should ask.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers.  You are still quite young, so having a 67 year old kidney is certainly something to think twice about.  I'm very interested to hear what your final decision is and how you came to that decision.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:09:15 AM »

Perhaps having a kidney that may last 5 - 15 years at most (I think that's might be a reasonable average for a 67 year old kidney, but I would ask the transplant team what the expected years might be) is ok - I'm also thinking a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.
Having a donor closest to your actual age is probably the optimal choice, but if you have no other donors, it's not an option.
If she's a good tissue match, that's in your favor. If not, a swap also is an option in which case they try to match you close to your actual age.
Jenna was 21 when she got her transplant, and her donor was 45. They estimated her potential kidney life to be 15 - 20 years at the most, so we felt fine with that number. Of course, as it turns out, it was less. There's no absolute way to predict the outcome.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:11:53 AM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »

My living donor was 60 and a 4/6 match.  He was recently retired (a year) and ended up by going back to work full-time after the donation.  If your 67 year old donor is willing, able and healthy, go for it because you don't know if you will get another offer anytime soon...  15 years dialysis-free is nothing to sneeze at.

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »

Karen, in theory, they should really be able to help you answer this question, because they should have a renal ultrasound that can detect the general condition of the kidney.

I was told that live always trumps cadaver except in extreme situations, that situation being, and I am quoting a transplant nephrologist "You get a 19-year-old falling off a motorcycle and dying instantly". I have no idea how common that scenario is. Plus, with your relative, you know her entire history - that she has not just taken a shine to intravenous drugs or is having unprotected sex with anything in a pair of trousers. This is where those rare but nasty shocks come from. Cadaver kidneys still only last half as long as live donors, on average. The 'half-lives' of these organs are 12 years for cadaver and 25 for live. So, if she really is in excellent health, odds are good that her donation could still outlast even a perfect cadaver kidney.

A few years ago, a surgeon (at USC, I might add) wanted me to ask my mother for a kidney. (They were all convinced that I would have a positive crossmatch with Gwyn because we have kids together. I knew that our previous crossmatch had come up negative, but they would not listen.) My mother was in her early 60s. When I mentioned that my mother was alive, in good health, and packing a matched set of kidneys, that man lit up like the north star.

I would still talk to them about it and see what information they can give you about your options. Good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »

You have raised a very interesting question. One that I have been questioning myself this last while.   I had a 60 year old female relative approach me and wanted to help. However, one of my nephrologists argued that they would not take a kidney from someone of that age because they are already in stage 1 or 2 of kidney failure. I was like, "What?!"  I was surprised to hear that, also, disappointed. I still wonder if that is true or not. I can't see how it would be true especially if that prospective donor was in great health.

One thing I also remember one of my nephrologists saying was that they want to put a kidney in me of someone close to my age. I am 39 years old. This doctor told me a kidney from a much older person may only last a few years versus 15-20 years. But, like someone else said here, any amount of years off dialysis is a good thing. I agree with that.

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide, go with what your gut tells you.

I wish I had the answer too!      :cuddle;   Good luck to you!!!      :cuddle;
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:53:34 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »

Well, I talked to the transplant surgeon yesterday, and she's sees no problem with going forward with my older relative donating to me. So, it looks like I'm planning a surgery!

My donor is 67 and has no history of taking medication or illness of any sort. Her only medical drama was giving birth 3 times.  Too bad she can't donate her immune system to me!

Tentative date for surgery is Nov. 16th

KarenInWA

April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

oh, that's fantastic news! :yahoo;  Congratulations!  I'm so glad this turned out well for you, and I hope surgery is a breeze.  Can't wait to hear even better news after the 16th!! :clap;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rodneyss1

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »

Congrats!!!  Anytime off dialysis is a Godsend!!!!  Keep us updated!

Diagnosed with FSGS- 2003
End Stage- December 2010
Dialysis Journey Started- December 2010
Transplant List- December 2010
Living Donor Transplant Non-Related Surgery at St. Vincents (Indianapolis)- September 9, 2011
***Living life like its Golden***
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »

Great News, KIW.  Im so very happy to hear this.  Praying & crossing everything I have for you!!!!  Not the "eyes" though cause that would make my typing not so good!  Teeeheeee!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 07:21:23 AM »

Karen, I'm thrilled that this opportunity is almost here for you.  I've got everything crossed!   :flower;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 12:53:54 AM »

Well, I talked to the transplant surgeon yesterday, and she's sees no problem with going forward with my older relative donating to me. So, it looks like I'm planning a surgery!

My donor is 67 and has no history of taking medication or illness of any sort. Her only medical drama was giving birth 3 times.  Too bad she can't donate her immune system to me!

KarenInWA

:yahoo;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 04:52:05 AM »

Fabulous news!

:2thumbsup;

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »

Congratulations! Definitely keep us informed!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:24:42 AM »

That happened so fast! Probably doesn't seem like it from your persepctive, but wow!  :yahoo; I bet your Thanksgiving dinner will taste awesome this year! You'll be off D, home recovering, and living it up!

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »

Simply FABULOUS news, Karen! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I am hoping for a smooth procedure with a rapid recovery for you both. Best of luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »

Surgery date is November 23rd. I will be spending Thanksgiving in the hospital, but I am more than okay with that! I have a lot to be thankful for. :)

KarenInWa

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »

Great news.  This will be the BEST Thanksgiving ever!!!

:cheer:

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving (early!) When I was diagnosed two and a half years ago my mom volunteered. I turned her down even though she was only 83 (as she would say) I'm glad I did because she had open heart surgery in May of this year. Do you know what her biggest complaint was after she got home? That she had to take shorter walks until she got her strength back! Lol! That's my Mom!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
olivia

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 06:16:20 AM »

:clap;   Congratulations! Awesome news! :cheer:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »