I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:20:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Blisters on my arms
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blisters on my arms  (Read 2624 times)
Dry-Pack-Babe

« on: October 07, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »

I have unsightly blisters on my arms caused by the tape that is used on my access.  :(Paper, silk or plastic tape can cause issues, but the silk is friendlier. Plastic is the worst. And for reasons that are clear only to the clinic, they are not ordering the silk tape. Can anyone suggest something that may lessen the chance of getting blisters from tape? Thanks for your input.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »

I get hives, but it's not all the time.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Genlando

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

I have unsightly blisters on my arms caused by the tape that is used on my access.  :(Paper, silk or plastic tape can cause issues, but the silk is friendlier. Plastic is the worst. And for reasons that are clear only to the clinic, they are not ordering the silk tape. Can anyone suggest something that may lessen the chance of getting blisters from tape? Thanks for your input.

I had a similar reaction on my chest when I had a Permacath in place.  My GP told me that it was a sensitivity to the tape's adhesive.  He stated that the blisters were actually more like chemical burns than an allergic reaction.  The people at the clinic didn't seem to care about the pain that their bandages and tape were causing me; I finally started buying my own.  After a lot of experimentation, I found that the Nexcare brand bandages were the least troublesome.

Fortunately, my arms aren't as sensitive to adhesives as my chest, so I haven't had any problems once I started using my fistula.  You'll probably have to experiment with different brands/types of bandages to find out what works for you.

Good luck in finding something that works!

3/9/2010--Diagnosed with ESRD
3/24/2010--Fitted with catheter, and began hemodialysis
4/2010--First fistula attempt--clotted up and failed
6/2010--Second fistula attempt--didn't clot, but slow development
11/2010--3rd fistula surgery--fistula now developing
1/2011--fistula ready for H/D!
6/2011--Started using NxStage at home
8/2012--Switched to PD using Liberty Cycler
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »

now you have to understand than i never told anyone that i was a nice lady. here's what i would do. i wouldn't let them use any tape on me unless it was was silk. i'd tell them they would have to stand there and hold the site until it stopped bleeding. or i'd do it myself. i'd sit there all day, taking up space. i'd start with the nurse manager and tell her all about it. i'd tell her boss. i'd complain to the social worker. after all they order gloves without latex for a reason.......they can order silk tape. try asking your doctor to list in your chart that you are allergic to paper and plastic tape. remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. be specific, tell anyone who will listen that it's your life and they are not allowed to put it in jeopardy! it's worked for me for 5 years.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »

I get that same reaction if someone tries to use paper tape on me. Silk & plastic are OK, I don't really like the plastic because it sticks so hard but I let them use it to hold the needles.When I'm done, I have my own Tegaderm. I used to buy the Nexcare brand but there was only 8-10 in a package & they were expensive! I buy them from my pharmacy (not a Wal-Mart or Walgreens) my pharmacist orders the "hospital" pack. Same thing as the name brand but more in the package and cheaper!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »