I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 08:19:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I forsee a HIPPA violation....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I forsee a HIPPA violation....  (Read 3442 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: October 05, 2011, 04:45:08 PM »

....at my soon to be former clinic. 

When I went in on Tuesday, the previous education display was removed and there was a new one going up.  A big construction paper tree.  Labeled "Low Phos" at the top, "High Phos" at the roots and then 3, 4 and 5 listed in the middle. 

For God's sake, I think they are going to put our names on this tree when we get our labs back next week. 

And I will be damned if my name is going on that tree, no matter where it's placed.  I don't care to be shamed in front of the whole clinic, and I don't want to be held up as a role model.  My lab values are mine and mine alone only to be shared with those directly involved in my care, not every Tom, Dick and Harry that walks into the clinic. 

Ugh.  I am SO HAPPY that I will be leaving this kindergarden nightmare in just 11 more treatments.

:rant;
Willis

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:02:47 PM »

You should take photos of all of the staff members. Then create your own poster with their pictures ranked high-to-low with "LOW FAT" at the top and "HIGH FAT" at the bottom.

Posted anonymously of course!  :rofl;

Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »

I wouldn't say a darned word to the staff about their flipping phos tree until they put names on it.  THEN I'd let them HANG ON THE HIGHEST LIMB as I invoke HIPPA!!!!  Be prepared, take no hostages...  Take pics and be ready to call whomever needs to be called about this potential HIPPA violation.  Why can't I have such things happen to me???  I'm in the mood (thank you mega high doses of prednisone) to rip someone a new one :sir ken;

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
PorkBun

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »

My clinic has a high/low phos 'game' going on - but each person was assigned a three digit number.  Only the numbers appear on the status board.  Each person got a sheet of paper explaining the contest, prizes and your number.  I won a ball point pen in the shape of a femur.  Kinda made me feel like I was back in Sunday School when you 'won' pencils for learning bible verses.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »

I'd report that.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

I'd be fine with that.  I'd still opt out because I am not interested in their ridiculous games, but at least it's not a privacy violation.

My clinic has a high/low phos 'game' going on - but each person was assigned a three digit number.  Only the numbers appear on the status board.  Each person got a sheet of paper explaining the contest, prizes and your number.  I won a ball point pen in the shape of a femur.  Kinda made me feel like I was back in Sunday School when you 'won' pencils for learning bible verses.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »

well if nothing else, you made me laugh till i cried.. I couldnt even read this to my hubby i was laughing so hard...  dunno, just hit my funny bone...   :rofl;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
The Noob

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 07:09:09 PM »

me too  :rofl; got some good chuckles..thanks!  :rofl;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »

Well, maybe they plan to put food suggestions on?  We can hope....but yes, they had better ask permission otherwise!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

*kana*

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »

I highly doubt that your clinic is that stupid about HIPPA laws to put your name on a public board.  ::)    They are going to either give you a number only you and they know or a nickname.   
It really isn't that big of a deal and it is kind of fun to see where you are vs where others are.  They are trying to lighten the mood around the place and give you some visual goals if you are falling way out of line with the rest of their patients.  Just relax and try to have fun with their little games.   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:14:12 AM by *kana* » Logged

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »

they used to use names at my clinic. i was told it wasn't a hippa violation because they only used first names, or first names and last initials. like we don't know the first and last names of others on our shift. sheesh! i made them take my name down and told them never to put it up again! guess what....now they use numbers. guess it was a hippa violation after all.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
*kana*

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »

they used to use names at my clinic. i was told it wasn't a hippa violation because they only used first names, or first names and last initials. like we don't know the first and last names of others on our shift. sheesh! i made them take my name down and told them never to put it up again! guess what....now they use numbers. guess it was a hippa violation after all.
It really hasn't been that long ago that it was ok.   Now it is a violation to even call you from the waiting room using your name.  They say it is for your privacy just incase someone sitting in the waiting rooms knows you , but I think "seeing" you kind of gives it away.   :o

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »

It really hasn't been that long ago that it was ok.   Now it is a violation to even call you from the waiting room using your name.  They say it is for your privacy just incase someone sitting in the waiting rooms knows you , but I think "seeing" you kind of gives it away.   :o

like we don't know each other. hey, i have phone numbers. i know children, the night shift had a picnic this summer. i even know where some of the people on my shift live.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 03:56:08 AM »

We have games and contests going on all the time. The results are posted telling how many reached the goal but no names. I was told that was because we know our own results. They put up a birthday calendar and everyone had to sign a paper if we were ok with them putting our names (first only) on it. I don't mind them using my name to call me back. We do sit in the waiting area & talk and we don't say,"Hey You!" LOL   You want to hear a definite violation: My insurance co will NOT speak to me (because I am not the insured, my husband is) but they will speak to my husband. I have never given them permission to speak to anybody. They tell me it is their policy. The SW says they can't do that but there is a lot of things they do that is their "policy". I'm afraid to do much about it because I'm afraid they will drop me. Again the SW says they can't do that but since it's probably their policy, there is nothing I can really do.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »